Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so tpm is starting an endurance series at ncbike. so far the rules are at least 4 riders to a team, 250cc limit, and a $3000 buyout. seems simple enough but i thought i would see what you guys thought about which 250 would be the best base to start from. theres no mention about not allowing frankenstein bikes either so wild combos are welcome too just remember the 3k cap

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Yamaha wr250 with a suspension swap or just a lowered suspension would be kickass though a little expensive.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that would be competitive against ... say a ninja 250 though?

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as I can get one for less then 3k also the races will be 8 to 12 hours long

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Do you think that would be competitive against ... say a ninja 250 though?
Definitely. Check the specs, similar power(just a hair more from what I'm reading) and much lighter. Really any 250 motorcross bike with 17's will out run a ninjas or cbr 250. You're talking about bikes built for experienced riders who want something small vs beginner bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
what about the cbr25rr (mc22). brilliant little bike. pretty cheap these days. good power (for a 4 stroke 250). fantastic handling. great brakes, reliable engine...

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
We never got the cool little bikes like that in America.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
older 250 2 stroke mx bike. Get a nice clean one on the cheap. Go over it. Make sure the motor is good.
cr250 89 and up
kx250 ~ 94 on up
rm250 99 and up
yz250 96 and up
ktm 2000 and up

This is when each one finally figured out proper modern ergonomics and inverted forks. There have been lots of updates but properly setup and gone through any of these can still be competitive today with a good rider. And for ~ $1500-2000 you can find a super clean example of any of the above. Then spend the rest setting it up and 17's.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
older 250 2 stroke mx bike. Get a nice clean one on the cheap. Go over it. Make sure the motor is good.
cr250 89 and up
kx250 ~ 94 on up
rm250 99 and up
yz250 96 and up
ktm 2000 and up

This is when each one finally figured out proper modern ergonomics and inverted forks. There have been lots of updates but properly setup and gone through any of these can still be competitive today with a good rider. And for ~ $1500-2000 you can find a super clean example of any of the above. Then spend the rest setting it up and 17's.
I think this might be the best answer here.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok the only problem I forsee with the dirtbike option is fuel capacity. What do you guys think about the vtr. I may be able to get one for free or at least stupid cheap enough to swap the forks and swinger and still make money on the deal if someone wants to be a dick and buy me out

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Ninja 250 by far. I raced my SV in formula twins for a few years then dropped down to the 250 class because it's so much cheaper and they run supersport rules.

The Ninja 250 I have made 31rwhp on a very conservative dyno at Cyclemall with my old crew chief. The Honda CBR250 is down about 5hp from the Ninja apple for apples.

There are only 3 CBR250s in a field of about 30+ Ninja 250Rs out at our club. The ninja just makes more power and revs higher. Two cylinders are better than one.

We run the Bridgestone 125GP slicks so we have a 90mm front and 120mm rear. I had TWF Racing do some machining to stuff some GSXR cartridges in my forks (legal in my class) and I run a JRi rear shock built by James at Cyclemall in Tustin.

Here's my 250. I just finished installing new decals for a good laugh

Here's some photos from racing the 250

They still have this pic up on the CVMAracing.com page

Anyway, you get the idea.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
I raced the Aprilia RS125 '09 model with the 250 crowd. It was actually a little down on power but also there's no way it would survive a 12 hour endurance without serious work.

2-Strokes can do endurance, but not long hours. They need plugs, transmission oil changes, and jetting changes as temperature changes.

Best to go cheap and easy with a bike that's mass produced with wildly available parts. Also, keep the motor as close to stock as possible. They are meant to run forever the way they're built.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea the ninja is the way im leaning since the vtr deal fell through. i can find 07s all day long for around a grand but i still cant find a newer body style for less then 3

·
Registered
652 Posts
Did you ever get the VTR/VT250 series bikes over there? If so, newer VTR with a VT250 Spada, or VT250F2 Integra motor (40hp and 43hp respectively)
A fresh 2T would manage it with a safe tune, but MX bikes have fucking horrible geometry and bendy frames.
Ninja 250 would be reliable, but they're impossibly slow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts