Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This may not be the right forum to ask this on but its my favorite two wheeled internet destination so I am turning to you guys for advice.

My next project - a slowly evolving one - is to build a 2 seater bobber style bike. I plan on building either a full hard tail, or a hidden soft tail design.

Either way, a lot of the bobbers I see are stripped down 500cc and under bikes - which is cool to some extent. That said I want something with balls. 1000cc and higher only. Can you guys help me put together a list of bikes?

Price range 3500 or less for the stock bike. (assuming 20K miles or less), prefer EFI but totally ok with carbs. But its gotta scoot.

So task for today. Help me get a list going, and anything you may know about these bikes in terms of bobbyness, suspension, or motor requirements.

-Goldwing (1100,1200,1400 ect)
-Silverado 1100
-Suzuki intruder 1400 or so
-Vstar 1100
-Sportster 1200 (?)
-Shadow Sabre
-Magna v65

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm pretty sure the intruder is shaft too, You could look for a C90 though then you are already set up with a hidden monoshock and efi. I'm sure it'd be hard to find one under 3500 though

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
2-up bobber? Is there such a thing? Anyway I agree with noregrets. You should search for something chain/belt driven if you're going hardtail. A carbed bike will be easier to really hide all the wiring.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
2-up bobber? Is there such a thing? Anyway I agree with noregrets. You should search for something chain/belt driven if you're going hardtail. A carbed bike will be easier to really hide all the wiring.
Yeah.. Actually that's something I kinda missed. How the hell can you have a two-up bobber? Unless you're thinking of something like the hardley ableson rockster

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
There's a triumph rocket 3 I the classifieds. You won't find a bigger motor in a bike

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any of the above. if you're wanting to hardtail, you'll be better off going chain/belt drive so the goldwing and magna are out.
I have been thinking about this. I have seen a few dropped drive shaft units, and was wondering how they did that?

I'm pretty sure the intruder is shaft too, You could look for a C90 though then you are already set up with a hidden monoshock and efi. I'm sure it'd be hard to find one under 3500 though
Thats a bit more modern and harder to find.

English is not my first language so I may be using the wrong words. But I have seen low riding stretched bikes like many of the bobber pics, with a 2 level seat for 2 people and a chopped tail. if that makes any sense.

Yeah.. Actually that's something I kinda missed. How the hell can you have a two-up bobber? Unless you're thinking of something like the hardley ableson rockster
Yes. similar to the rockester.

Here ya go

Drool.

There's a triumph rocket 3 I the classifieds. You won't find a bigger motor in a bike

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I wish those things are beastly.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Nice part about the sportster is that you can buy any part you need for a bobber conversion...
Nice part about the rest is you need to make the parts you need for a bobber conversion...

EDIT: No vmax?!

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I've seen (pics of) several exposed drive shaft hard tail bobbers. I like em. I don't see why a chain drive would be preffered / easier to work with. If the resulting angle is an issue because you drop the ride height, replacing the u-joint with a CV joint should resolve it.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I build a hardtail bobber out of a shaftie xj650 Maxim for my buddy. They are cheap to find, and it rips pretty good.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice part about the sportster is that you can buy any part you need for a bobber conversion...
Nice part about the rest is you need to make the parts you need for a bobber conversion...

EDIT: No vmax?!
I would prefer to stay away from HD about relability and image. Maybe an early gen VMAX? cause the newer ones are expensive as fuck,.

I've seen (pics of) several exposed drive shaft hard tail bobbers. I like em. I don't see why a chain drive would be preffered / easier to work with. If the resulting angle is an issue because you drop the ride height, replacing the u-joint with a CV joint should resolve it.
i was wondering about this as well. you should be able to drop it down to the maximum suspension travel distance and make it a hardtail, but I was curious about possibly shimming or making it longer to be able to build a suspension onto a lowered bike. I have the time/money/resources to build a lowered bike with a suspension./

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
i was wondering about this as well. you should be able to drop it down to the maximum suspension travel distance and make it a hardtail, but I was curious about possibly shimming or making it longer to be able to build a suspension onto a lowered bike. I have the time/money/resources to build a lowered bike with a suspension./
Stretching a drive shaft is pretty easy in theory, though you may want to take your measurements and have it professionally done. The shaft has sliding couplings at each end and is held under spring pressure, so high precision isn't needed. If you lower the bike, you could lift the back end of the engine / lower the front end, so that the drive shaft is (closer to) straight again. Simpler than my idea with a CV, although that would also work. Should work equally well for a squishy vs a hard tail.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I would prefer to stay away from HD about relability and image.
I try not to be "that harley guy" on forums. But there is a serious misconception about harley's reliability with guys that have not owned one, not saying you haven't owned one, just saying in general. The evolution motor is actually a very reliable motor. Pre-evo motors have tarnished the h-d name I can imagine. Here is my personal experience with the sportster in my avitar, 02 883. I've had it for ten years now, put 53,000 miles on it and counting, and it has left me stranded a total of two times. Once a coil went bad on me and second time the tip-over switch tripped randomly and cut the ignition. Other than replacing the coil again recently, this time I could tell it was going on me, replacing one rocker box gasket and replacing a clip that came off my shift detent plate that is it man. Stock clutch still working great, no need for valve checks evah :), hell even the stock drive belt had over 40,000 miles on before I replaced it because I needed a different tooth count...

I'm not trying to sell you on the harley, just trying to clear things up.... Yeah the image thing I can't help you on... I've got white 17" wheels on mine with an buell suspension front and rear. I ride with a guy with a beautiful fat boy, and we come across guys that will come up talk to him about his bike and not even look at me :)... But there are people who ride harleys that love my bike and will ask questions.

Best part about sportsters is that
A: harley guys don't even consider it a harley, so don't worry.. You aren't riding a harley..
B: If you buy a evo motor sportster even the pre-evo iron head guys don't consider your bike a real sportster...

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I agree about HD reliability. I rode the hell out of a 59 pan that I rebuilt and never had any serious problems with it. The wife has an 89 883 that I rebuilt about six years ago, and except for a couple of electrical gremlins she has rode the hell out of it. The bike is even oil tight.

Reactions: F'dup

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I try not to be "that harley guy" on forums. But there is a serious misconception about harley's reliability with guys that have not owned one, not saying you haven't owned one, just saying in general. The evolution motor is actually a very reliable motor. Pre-evo motors have tarnished the h-d name I can imagine. Here is my personal experience with the sportster in my avitar, 02 883. I've had it for ten years now, put 53,000 miles on it and counting, and it has left me stranded a total of two times. Once a coil went bad on me and second time the tip-over switch tripped randomly and cut the ignition. Other than replacing the coil again recently, this time I could tell it was going on me, replacing one rocker box gasket and replacing a clip that came off my shift detent plate that is it man. Stock clutch still working great, no need for valve checks evah :), hell even the stock drive belt had over 40,000 miles on before I replaced it because I needed a different tooth count...

I'm not trying to sell you on the harley, just trying to clear things up.... Yeah the image thing I can't help you on... I've got white 17" wheels on mine with an buell suspension front and rear. I ride with a guy with a beautiful fat boy, and we come across guys that will come up talk to him about his bike and not even look at me :)... But there are people who ride harleys that love my bike and will ask questions.

Best part about sportsters is that
A: harley guys don't even consider it a harley, so don't worry.. You aren't riding a harley..
B: If you buy a evo motor sportster even the pre-evo iron head guys don't consider your bike a real sportster...
I agree about HD reliability. I rode the hell out of a 59 pan that I rebuilt and never had any serious problems with it. The wife has an 88 883 that I rebuilt about six years ago, and except for a couple of electrical gremlins she has rode the hell out of it. The bike is even oil tight.
I guess my issue with it is this. HD had a test and ride event right. I went out there hopped on a Vrod muscle and took it for a spin. It was ok at best. Now this is their premier sporty type muscle bike. The accel was ok at best. Perhaps because it was a demo the tune might have been different, but evne the "fast" harley was pretty damn slow. I can't even imagine dailying a 883.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
See that's the magic... They give you something that needs to be improved. You have to make the harley your own. Why do you think the after market for harley is so massive? I guess that's part of the fun for me with it anyway.

Ok enough out of me lol...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts