Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the bike customisation scene, I thought all you could do to a bike was just change your exhaust or air filter. Now I know different haha. I'm currently on a Ninja 250 (first bike still) and I now want to go bigger, circa 600cc area but I don't really have the money for a brand new 600. That's why I've decided to get an older biker and over time, try and turn it into a street fighter. Is there such thing as a top 5 bikes to turn into street fighters? By this I mean, readily available parts, easy to work on etc. Or are all bikes pretty much similar in that respect?

With my current budget, any bike past 2002 is usually out of price range

·
Registered
323 Posts
To me a streetfighter is not a particular brand of bike but the style in which you have envisioned your bike to look like. I think any bike can be used to create the fighter look but granted some are easier. A newer bike with a monoshock setup and inverted forks will start you in the right direction without you having to create that yourself. You need to find a bike that you like the shape of then add or change it to fit your style and or needs.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,526 Posts
Is there such thing as a top 5 bikes to turn into street fighters? By this I mean, readily available parts, easy to work on etc. Or are all bikes pretty much similar in that respect?
If you look at past fotm winners here, it's a huge mix. If there WAS a "most popular bike to fighter" it would probably be best to avoid that model, just to have something fresh. Fighters should not be cookie cutter clone bikes.

The main practical considerations are:
- Frame Material. Will you be altering the frame? Some are a lot easier to work on than others, depending on the tools and skills you have. (Lots of folks can do steel, but not aluminum.)
- Shaft vs Chain. Its rare to find a wheel swap for a shaft drive bike, or be able to change the gearing. Chain drive is easier to customize in most ways (swing arm swaps & modifications, wheel swaps, sprocket swaps).

·
639 Posts
Its a bug, you'll start seeing all bikes as potential. Your first bike so you haven't developed a true preference riding style yet. So start with something your not worried about parting with or loosing money on. It will be a huge learning curve. The more you get into wrenching, the more you'll just grab a part and make it work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.