Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using PJI Blue Label which comes in a handy aerosol applicator pack and is "guaranteed not to fly off"...
Ha, It shure dont! but when the carrier fluid evaporates, it leaves a really clear sticky gunk on the chain and sprockets that altho it serves its purpose that way, also attracts brake dust and road crud like a magnet.

I happen to be mighty proud of my Izumi gold chain and Gold anodized rear sprocket, and I wound up spending alot of valuable time cleaning all that shit off to restore them to the original bling status. For now, I have gone back to the oily rag application but Iwonder if any one out there knows of a superior product that doesnt cause so much mess?....Shit I miss shaft drive! :mad:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,713 Posts
i think, no matter what, youre chain lube is going to fly off and/or cause a mess.

everyone i've tried makes a mess. so i think its comes down to what lubes the best. UNLESS you're into cleaning the chain on a regular basis (FUN FUN).

I've been using CHAIN GUARD - crystal clear synthetic chain lube. made by maxima. i've been pretty happy with that. doesnt make an excessive mess IMO. They also make CHAIN WAX which i think is kinda not the best. its a little too thin of a liquid IMO. and seems like it would just run off the chain instead of sticking to it.

the PJ1, i was not impressed with...it said WONT FLY OFF...in big ass letters on the can....so i tried it out (i didnt have a chain guard at the time) so there i go riding away on my nice clean yellow 929. then i come home and the left side of my undertail is black (not from burnouts tho, that starts at the center).

so im pretty sure it FLEW OFF. false advertisement. bastids.

what else you guys like??

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Hmm, I just bought a can of the maxima chain wax. I guess I'll have to see how it does. What do you guys recommend for chain cleaning? The guy at the stealership said just drop the chain in a bucket of kerosene, but won't that kill the o-rings? I'm thinking WD-40 and a toothbrush...

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the tip Adam, I'll look up a local supplier of Maxima and give that a whirl. Cheers! And Yes Mr Booty Bandit, WD40 is what I used to do the clean-up, always works like a charm.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
sevenpointsixtwo said:
Hmm, I just bought a can of the maxima chain wax. I guess I'll have to see how it does. What do you guys recommend for chain cleaning? The guy at the stealership said just drop the chain in a bucket of kerosene, but won't that kill the o-rings? I'm thinking WD-40 and a toothbrush...
Kerosene is fine on the o-rings. It's gasoline that's gonna kill em.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
BB_DASLER said:
WD40 is what I used to do the clean-up, always works like a charm.

From what I've heard, WD40 and rubber don't mix. WD pulls moisture from the surface it's on. It will aid in dry rot of your O-rings...WD says it's fine but ton's of people say it's not. Who knows. lol

I use a strong degreaser here and there to soak my chain in. Marine Clean from POR15 is deadly strong but something like Green Stuff does the trick too. Then lightly lube, take it for a spin to heat it up and I use Maxima chain wax.

As long as you apply it in while the chain is warm and clean it works great with very minimal spatter.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
Tommy Pantsdown said:
As long as you apply it in while the chain is warm and clean it works great with very minimal spatter.

i was just getting ready to say that.

always lube the chain when it's warm, but don't ride it till the chain lube dries a bit. it'll keep it from slinging off as much. i also don't spray the chain at the sprocket, i lube it at the lower chain run to keep it from getting all over the sprocket (and usually the wheel hub)

oh, and i use chain wax, and clean with kerosene. haven't had any problems with it getting all over the place.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
skr00zloose said:
i was just getting ready to say that.

always lube the chain when it's warm, but don't ride it till the chain lube dries a bit. it'll keep it from slinging off as much. i also don't spray the chain at the sprocket, i lube it at the lower chain run to keep it from getting all over the sprocket (and usually the wheel hub)

oh, and i use chain wax, and clean with kerosene. haven't had any problems with it getting all over the place.
Yeah, that's a thing worth mentioning.

I see a lot of people spray the top of their chain while it's bending around the sprocket. I've always oiled chains on the inside after it's rotated around the sprocket. Then this allows lube to work it's way out.

Then only excess would possibly spatter off. If you spray the outter side of your chain of course there's going to be spatter. lol

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Chain Oiler?

I haven't used one, but the techs at work said they see a lot longer life on chains with them.

"A few hundred miles of test riding proved that the Scottoiler functions precisely as advertised. The oil reservoir can be filled quickly, easily and with virtually no mess by using the supplied bottle of chain oil. The flow rate can be adjusted quickly and easily with a mere twist of the flow-adjustment knob, and our unit delivered oil right to the chain with a bare minimum of fling-off; virtually every brand of aerosol-spray lube that we have used causes more overspray and fling-off than the Scottoiler."

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
I've heard lots of long distance riders sing the praises of a scott-oiler. They seem like a great concept, but on a fighter its just more things to hide. If you could, I'd go with one though.

I'm trying an Amsoil product right now, its their "Heavy duty metal protectant" that is also sold as chain lube. I had the same issues with Maxxim and PJ1 lubes, gettin the rim all coveredin crap and gettin dirt sticking to the chain, but this Amsoil stuff is working great so far, it doesnt fling off much and the chain has stayed pretty clean looking. This is just my first season using it though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.