Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I wanted to start this thread to see what you guys thought the best motor out there is right now. This is all about your opinion, any motor at all.
Couple of rules (because we're all so good at following those:D)

#1. Money is no object. If you think the best motor is a $7,000 MV Agusta F4 motor, that's cool, you're crazy but it's cool.
#2. Has to be a Motorcycle engine. I don't wanna see any Ferrari v10s on here.
#3. Mods and Frankensteins are also acceptable. Turbos, this motor with this carb, so on and etc.

And I'll kickit off

I think that Triumph hit the nail on the head with there 675. It's a parallel triple that cranks out 123hp:nuts:. No mods are even needed for this thing to be insane. I'd take one in a heart beat.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
I have to back you up on the 675 motor. Flexible, reliable, fast as hell, heaps of torque, good horsepower, and it's lightweight. I can lift it from the ground to the bench by myself, no problem at all. Back that with a close ratio, almost bulletproof gearbox and an easy to use clutch, excellent ECU, and stock 350cc injectors, it's the ideal powerplant for a midweight, handling oriented streetfighter.

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha alright we made it a whole 2 posts without breaking the rules, that's gotta be a record.

Yea Pariah you're right that's another thing about the 675, it's light as air. I'm just very impressed with the motor it checks off all the right boxes.

Jerry you're talking about a jet ski motor? Putting out 300hp? That's nuts. I wonder if you could fit a radiator to it? Someone should try this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
Above all else I still think the GSXR/Bandit 1127 and 1157 air/oil cooled inline fours are the best out there outside of a water cooled engine. They respond to almost anything you do, 150hp naturally aspirated doesn't require much aside from good head work. The bore can be taken out to such an extreme level they make a 'busa wonder if it is really a big displacement machine, and to top it off they are rather affordable in turn key condition.

Turbocharged, the big air/oil engines will not need much to perform well for years and years where as the equally large Kawasaki KZ engines require some extensive modification to achieve the same reliable turbo numbers. Bang for the buck, adding a turbocharger to an air/oil engine is the biggest amount of gain you will see for what I would consider a reasonable price.

On the water cooled side of things though, the Hayabusa's 1300cc water cooled power plant is probably the single most disturbing thing I've seen in a motorcycle when they are modified in any way what so ever. Turbocharged they can make well above 500hp, naturally aspirated 200+hp engines seem to be not only common, but rather streetable too. There is a replacement part for every bit of the engine that either makes it lighter weight or more durable.... and they fit into almost EVERYTHING.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Yea Pariah you're right that's another thing about the 675, it's light as air.
Meh its about 135 lb's. Close too 1:1 HP:engine weight which is average for most every sport bike these days. R1, CBR, ducatis, their all right about 1:1 with hp and engine weight.

Personally I am a big fan of the sxv550 motor. Most compact v twin ive ever seen, Puts out right about 80hp and can easily be pumped up to the 100 range and only weighs about 70 lb's dry. But on the downside they are fuck hard to find and expensive when you do.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Triumph Rocket III. Stupid power, stupid torque and it's like an 8:1 compression ratio out if the box. Wanna go forced induction? Wanna go all motor? The options are endless and 300 or more hp is fairly easy. Riding a stock one, a handle full of throttle will send the front wheel skyward on a 800lbs motorcycle while the rear wheel spins and digs for traction. Nothing else like it anywhere.

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Triumph Rocket III. Stupid power, stupid torque and it's like an 8:1 compression ratio out if the box.
Dude I hate to admit that I've never even seen this bike before. Not all that surprising tho since I never pay cruisers any mind. I just read a spec. sheet on it tho and that's freaking crazy. 163 lb:ft off the show room floor?! I wanna ride one.

Just to play Devil's advocate a little what about V-Twins? You have to admit that low end torque is a V-Twins home turf. SV650, Harley Revolution motor, TL1000, or even a Ducati 998. There's a reason these motors have been around as long as they have.

G

·
The GSX1100ef has to be the daddy imho close to 100bhp at the wheel stock, 120+bhp with minimal tuning & shed loads more bored for drag use .... pretty unbreakable too

The next contender has to be the grounbreaking GPZ900 motor which most stuff we ride today is based on & nothing much has changed from there till we get to the crossplane yam engine

·
Registered
740 Posts
new R1 with the cross plane crankshaft, that thing is just crazy sounding and flys.
Not that any 1000cc is slow, but the crossplane R1 has consistently placed last in literbike shootouts. I demo'd one last year and had to agree. For a 1000, it somehow doesn't feel that fast. It doesn't have that top end rush like other inlines, it's more even and torquey.

The new fz-09 (really an 850) crossplane triple is a peach though- really surprising output for it's size. Tons of torque anywhere and still has great top end power. It's got Yamaha's signature twitchy throttle, but aside from that it's a virtually perfect streetbike engine.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Not that any 1000cc is slow, but the crossplane R1 has consistently placed last in literbike shootouts. I demo'd one last year and had to agree. For a 1000, it somehow doesn't feel that fast. It doesn't have that top end rush like other inlines, it's more even and torquey.

The new fz-09 (really an 850) crossplane triple is a peach though- really surprising output for it's size. Tons of torque anywhere and still has great top end power. It's got Yamaha's signature twitchy throttle, but aside from that it's a virtually perfect streetbike engine.
I agree with everything you said. If they could smooth out the throttle and have the stock springs set up for someone who weighs more than a third grader I would have really considered it.

I'm throwing in another nomination for the Suzuki 1127/1157. I've twice given up more modern I4's that may have been "faster" (FZR 660 big bore and ZX9R) because I can't get enough of the all-over grunt the oil-boilers have.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts