Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just moved to Houston. Being the 4th biggest city in the country, there's a ton of traffic and not a lot of great riding roads close to the city.

I had to leave my B12 back in Minnesota (still for sale by the way), so I'm looking for new bike ideas. I think a middleweight might be better suited for the commuting/urban riding I'll be doing, but I'm open to ideas. What would you buy? Oh and it's super hot here, so water-cooled is a good thing.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
This is a "how long is a piece of string" question. I'm currently commuting on a 2001 sv650 but up until a month ago I was doing it on a same year gsxr750. Depends on your style and comfort preference.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok let's change the wording a bit. What do you ride and how well does it commute?

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Buell XB9X, SV650, Ninja 650R, DRZ...

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
loving my 07 r6s fighter as a daily commute, looking to take it off the road soon tho and ride my 900rr everyday (when finished)

but now also looking into KLR650's and i have a feeling id love it as a daily commute and occasional off roader.

but also rode a ducati 748 the other day and want one bad

and ive been wanting to try a DRZ400sm to be my city hop arounder

while id also love a BMW GS for the comfort and super cool factor (i dont care what others would think)

oh man, id love a cb1000r for a daily commute/power house fighter

oh oh oh and the new nc700 would be super sweet cause it can do all the stuff the BMW (from two lines up) can at a fraction of the price

cant believe i didnt mention how much id love to commute on vfr800

or how much id love a honda scrambler to ride back and forth to work

·
this guy ^
149 Posts
my suggestion on bike is pretty simple anything with dirt bars or dirt bars installed
you're ridding position is key in the city an upright sitting position helps you're view ...
just my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This has me thinking about a VFR... Comfortable and the V4 sounds sweet. Anyone have experience?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'd go a factory naked, just for better ergo's prior to mods. If you're turned on by a duke have a crack at a monster or sv650/1000, gsr750, fz6/1, hornet, bandit, drz...... The options are endless. It's all about budget and personal preference

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Im currently riding a Hyosung GT650 its not bad for around town its got a lot of low end power which is great in start stop traffic, it does lack a bit on the interstate tho, but they are kind of hard to come by around here

·
Registered
80 Posts
loving my 07 r6s fighter as a daily commute, looking to take it off the road soon tho and ride my 900rr everyday (when finished)

but now also looking into KLR650's and i have a feeling id love it as a daily commute and occasional off roader.

but also rode a ducati 748 the other day and want one bad

and ive been wanting to try a DRZ400sm to be my city hop arounder

while id also love a BMW GS for the comfort and super cool factor (i dont care what others would think)

oh man, id love a cb1000r for a daily commute/power house fighter

oh oh oh and the new nc700 would be super sweet cause it can do all the stuff the BMW (from two lines up) can at a fraction of the price

cant believe i didnt mention how much id love to commute on vfr800

or how much id love a honda scrambler to ride back and forth to work

Seriously made my day, sums up my itch for buying everything!

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
re-gear the bandit for the city.

that fucker has globs and globs of torque

just imagine doing a -2 up front and a +2 out back?

Pick out a pair of narrow straight bars for lane slipping
add some bark busters so your hands would be protected if you were to bash something with your bars
Add a crash cage incase you took a spill
wire in a turn signal flasher so while in the city on the brakes your rear brake light flashes
Pick up an exhaust so its mellow at idle and mid RPMs but makes people jump out of their skin once you go WOT
make some axle sliders to help with the inevitable low MPH spills.

If the bandito isn't an option right now, DRZ 400 SM now now go go! or some other more expensive supermoto if its in your budget.

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
and since jelly fingers did it i will do it

I love my bandit 1200 because its the best "all around" bike i have ever touched. It can straight up run away from traffic but also allow me to be nimble and quick in between cars in traffic.. I am a big guy so i don't have much trouble muscling the big girl around. am working on bmx style skid to the sides for extremely fast stops at low speeds.. but in the wet i got a little tumbly and allowed my ankle to roll a tiny bit to avoid dropping her... fucking ouch.

I am working on a 1995 sportster 883. yeah say what you want i don't care to be honest. I always said that my buell XB12s i had and the bandit would of been the best two bike solution but i picked up the 883 for next to nothing. I love the casual look of the tank sitting on the back bone and if i am looking for a 3.3 gallon if i ever want to take the bike far (2.2 on it now.. 7 dollar total fill up WOO!) I have a set of narrow pretty high bars on it with a low seat. I am going to run the pips as loud and as obnoxious as i can get them. if everything goes right i plan for a 1250 kit to land somewhere in the 85-90HP range.

i am also working on an XS650 (the 650 is in the kitchen the sportster is in the dining room) i've been pecking away at it slowly. as i said before i am a big guy so i can toss this bike around like nobodies business. one of two things might happen with this bike. I might cave and do a hard tail and go for an "attack chopper" http://attackchoppers.blogspot.com/ or i might put some off road capiable suspension on it so i can tear around off road if i want... turning into a basic "scrambler" bike now though. Just to tear around on

I have a 1975 harley davidson sportster Ironhead XLCH the bike qualifies (to me and thats all i care about) as "old iron" plans for this thing are very unsure as i am waiting until i have a proper garage before i can spend some time on this bike.. I have dreamed about cutting off the trans and making my own "big twin" by adding a separate trans 5 or 6 speed. I want to hardtail it and may do a jockey shift (behind the rider, suicide is up in front of the rider) foot clutch setup but i fucking HATE forward controls for the inability to stand on them to deal with tran tracks, see over shit etc and its just not a very commanding position not 100% sure what is going on with it like i said.. Indian larry themed chop with mid apes springer front and tons of other ideas , 21 inch front rim and i plan to add sport bike brakes so i can still ride the fucking wheels off of it and not have to worry about running up on a car.

Anyone want to give me 2 garage bays worth of space and a 10G loan?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
This has me thinking about a VFR... Comfortable and the V4 sounds sweet. Anyone have experience?
never owned one but DO IT!!

a guy was at the shop a few days ago with one that had 114000 miles on it, still rode and sounded amazing. VTEC yo!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
re-gear the bandit for the city.

that fucker has globs and globs of torque

just imagine doing a -2 up front and a +2 out back?

Pick out a pair of narrow straight bars for lane slipping
add some bark busters so your hands would be protected if you were to bash something with your bars
Add a crash cage incase you took a spill
wire in a turn signal flasher so while in the city on the brakes your rear brake light flashes
Pick up an exhaust so its mellow at idle and mid RPMs but makes people jump out of their skin once you go WOT
make some axle sliders to help with the inevitable low MPH spills.

If the bandito isn't an option right now, DRZ 400 SM now now go go! or some other more expensive supermoto if its in your budget.
The B12 is an option but I don't know how it would do with just oil cooling and the heavy Houston traffic. It would be awesome in every other aspect though. I really did love my Bandit for all the reasons you listed. I was at -1/+2 and could hardly go full throttle in first gear. -2/+2...

when i hear urban riding, only one style comes to mind:

I've been looking HARD at supermotos down here. There are only two real problems with them though.

1. There's hardly anything down here but the 30hp, 300 lb DRZ.
2. Houston traffic moves FAST when it's moving. Like 80+ in a 60 fast. So I don't think the DRZ would do too well in those conditions.

I would love a KTM 625 SMC. As reliable as the DRZ but 20 extra hp and a few pounds lighter.

Oh and my budget is right around $6k if any of you guys find something on CL. For the perfect bike I might be willing to spend a little more.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Why anyone would want an i4 bike for the city blows my mind. Twins and singles that deliver torque off the bottom end work phenomenally for darting through traffic and making a great noise to grab cagers attention. I used my Ninja 650r to commute into NYC from Jersey for about 8 months and it was the best. Anything along those lines is going to get the job done proper.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yamaha Vmax. Best commuting bike ever. Before that had a SV1000, GSXR750, Ninja500.

Ninja was gas champ, SV was second best for commuting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts