Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fighter got run over in a parking lot at work by some lady texting and not paying attention a little bit ago. Finally got my check to fix the bike and to be honest, I DONT want to get rid of it and get another. Im looking to fix it up to make something better.

My Bike is a 2002 zx6r. the damage is from the tail up to the seat. I have already bought a 03 636 swingarm that I am swapping out (has a bracket for a rear hugger) not too much else of a difference. The couple questions I need information on are...

1.) the bike came with somewhat of a custom under engine exhaust and is cracked now, so I am looking to fab up another but cannot find an exhaust short enough to clear the rear tire. Any suggestions?

2.) the subframe is bent but the frame is good, Is anybody familliar in the tail swap area? I have read multiple threads on fabing up a 03-04 tail but I do not have a wealder so that would be tough.
I have also read that an 06-07 r6 tail almost bolts up. The top brackets fit but the bottom you need to make a bracket to fit. Does anybody have any experience in this swap and/or bracket making? I would like to know how hard this would be before I spend the money to get either-or.

Any suggestions and information will be greatly apprecieated!

Ill try to post pictures soon

·
☢
5,596 Posts
So my fighter got run over in a parking lot at work by some lady texting and not paying attention a little bit ago. Finally got my check to fix the bike and to be honest, I DONT want to get rid of it and get another. Im looking to fix it up to make something better.

My Bike is a 2002 zx6r. the damage is from the tail up to the seat. I have already bought a 03 636 swingarm that I am swapping out (has a bracket for a rear hugger) not too much else of a difference. The couple questions I need information on are...

1.) the bike came with somewhat of a custom under engine exhaust and is cracked now, so I am looking to fab up another but cannot find an exhaust short enough to clear the rear tire. Any suggestions?
get a can, and shorten it. drill out the rivets, disassemble it, cut the pieces to length (with a cut-off wheel, a hacksaw may catch and bend the thin material), re-assemble and re-rivet.

2.) the subframe is bent but the frame is good, Is anybody familliar in the tail swap area? I have read multiple threads on fabing up a 03-04 tail but I do not have a wealder so that would be tough.
I have also read that an 06-07 r6 tail almost bolts up. The top brackets fit but the bottom you need to make a bracket to fit. Does anybody have any experience in this swap and/or bracket making? I would like to know how hard this would be before I spend the money to get either-or. how big of a bracket do you need (how far off is it?), pics will help with this one. Because a bracket to match the mounting holes will probably need three points of contact.

Any suggestions and information will be greatly apprecieated!

Ill try to post pictures soon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a nice shorty exhaust online for a little over $100. Would it be recommended to weld it right off the headders? Or cut the midpipe and try to clamp it on?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I personally don't like the weld option. A PO welded short pipes onto the header of mine. Leaves you with really no where to go if you ever decide to change the exhaust in the future. I luckily found a full stock exhaust system for cheap. It was a steal, honestly, and I'm glad I got it because now I have options.

They sell pipe expanders, so you can fab up your own midpipe and clamp em. Something I'd like to look into down the road when I can get ahold of the tools. But if you weld, and want to make changes, you'll have alot of work to undo.

...just my $.02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts