Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have gauges but I just feel like it's been running hotter (crotch meter). Only thing changed is I did the clean air mod and put a different gas tank on.

Also I have a 600rr radiator fan that I'd like to hook up to a toggle switch, any help with that would be great cause i have No clue how to go about doing that.

Bike is an 07 Yamaha R6s

Thanks in advance

·
Old fart biker
16 Posts
If the air cleaner mod allows more air the engine could be running lean which will increase the temp you may need to jet the carbs to richen the mixture. There are a number of articles online about reading sparkplugs, to determine if it's lean or rich.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Any change in performance other than running seemingly warmer?

Being lean makes sense. If it is you should feel it, though. Nosing over on top end or maybe even experiencing detonation (sounds like rattling valves) .

Of course, there's the old drag racing motto we used to live by : fat is lazy, lean is mean. Your engine may be producing more heat if it is honestly producing more power after this mod. Fuel burnt=power=heat.

I do a plug chop and go from there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Find the fan thermostat switch. Most sportbikes it's on the back of the radiator somewhere, but Yamaha sometimes likes to put them in the manifold right near the radiator cap. The temp sensor for the ECU/temp gauge only has one wire, the fan's switch has two and is usually larger. Just wire a toggle switch in parallel to the thermostat, it just closes when a certain temeperature is reached. If you short the switch the fan comes on whenever you want, simple as that. On virtually every liquid cooled bike these switches are set for about 215-220* or so.

If you go to an auto parts store and get a fan switch for a '88 nissan sentra it will directly fit most older yamaha's, or any Vmax (how I know), and it turns the fan on at 195 instead of 220. I'm not sure if it fits more modern stuff, but Yamaha hardly ever changes stuff so I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd leave the fan alone, unless it's malfunctioning it would sure suck to let it overheat by forgetting to turn the fan on. You could always splice the wiring, all temp sensors work on the same principle.

But yeah clean air mod will make the bike run leaner as it's no longer receiving unburnt fuel from the exhaust, to richen it up you could buy a power commander for your bike and adjust it to run a slight bit richer. Till then just throw the pair system back on.

On a car you can delete the egr system and have no serious side effects other than a check engine light, on a bike I'm not sure if the fuel mapping can accommodate for the change but better to be safe than sorry. I'm not sure I see the reason to delete the pair system anyway, does it make any difference to the longevity of the engine? I do not know much about the mod

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks gentlemen.

im changing out the plugs soon.

@shiny, ive read that the clean air mod adds a horse or 2, but thats not the reason for doing it. its in case i hydro-launch the bike doing whoolies (again), the motor wont seize

@beef supreme & razed1, i want to leave the stock fan as is, i want to run an extra fan (600rr fan), whichs the one i want on a switch. so ill flick the second fan on whenever i get to the lot but let it be normal if im just riding street.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
getter on the dyno to see where Air Flow mixture is at

·
Registered
299 Posts
thanks gentlemen.

im changing out the plugs soon.

@shiny, ive read that the clean air mod adds a horse or 2, but thats not the reason for doing it. its in case i hydro-launch the bike doing whoolies (again), the motor wont seize

@beef supreme & razed1, i want to leave the stock fan as is, i want to run an extra fan (600rr fan), whichs the one i want on a switch. so ill flick the second fan on whenever i get to the lot but let it be normal if im just riding street.

Ahh I see now. The only thing hard would be mounting it, you could drill/tap some mounting holes; just be generous oiling your tap and bit. If you could find a clamp style bracket or come up with something I'd do that, just don't go ghetto riggin it; don't want that shit fallin off. Then wire up two wires to the fan, one off your pos the other off your neg then splice in a toggle on your pos. You could go to your local hardware store for the switch.

Also since it's a stuntbike I'd recommend the oil pick up relocate mod, on a lot of bikes the pickup wont be able to pick up any oil during a good wheely so they have relocates that are supposed to be a very simple install.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wiring the switch in parallel to the stock temp switch will not make the bike overheat if you forget. The fan can be turned on by either the stock temp switch or the toggle. So if you forget to turn it on early, it will still kick on by itself when needed.

There really should be no need for a second fan if you do this. I've seen bikes, mine included, do several dyno pulls in a row and the stock fan kept the temp in check without issue.

·
890 Posts
I don't have gauges but I just feel like it's been running hotter (crotch meter). Only thing changed is I did the clean air mod and put a different gas tank on.
Could it just be that the different gas tank is allowing more hot air to flow up to where you are?

If the radiator fan is working properly (and not cutting in) then you don't have a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts