Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the Kan-O-Tuna, it runs fairly decent...the idle is quite a bit high (2,500-3k) but I can resolve that with adjusting the idle screw, once I get it to running!

I will go out in the mornings, and fire the bike up and let i run on choke for 15-20 seconds, then take the choke off, and "feather" the throttle to keep it running. It'll idle roughly, but then die after a couple of minutes.

HERE IS WHERE THE TROUBLE STARTS...............After the bike dies, IT WILL NOT START AGAIN for 4-5 hours.

I cleaned the carbs, bench-synched them. and now the fucking thing won't run on it's own long enough for me to get it fucking run properly!

I am running a straight header right now, so I know that will affect it a little bit.

Last time I took the carbs off, there was gas and oil in my airbox...(like 8 ounces)

Matt was helping me, but got tied up...any suggestions? Thanks guys!

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To my knowledge. I ave the vent hoses ran over the back of the tank, and the vacuum hose hooked up to the side o carb #4 like it's supposed to be.

Speaking of the tank, when I set it in the "prime" location, it sounds like it is literally flooding the bowls of my carbs with fuel...but of course, I cannot SEE in the bowls, so who knows?

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I mean the gas cap. It could be vapor locking.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
If it vapor locks than gas can't be delivered to the carbs. So in that 4-5 hour period when the bike wont start, open the gas cap and see if it starts.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I went outside....hit the starter (gas cap closed) and the fucker fired right up! Last time I tried was about 45 minutes ago, and it died.

So, I figured while it was running I would take a short jog down the road...it ran good, until I was going up a hill, then bogged down and died. It died 5-6 times on me, but fired up again every time. But would not stay running after the initial "bog" for longer than 10-15 seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Sounds to me like you're running the bowls dry one way or the other. Fuel filter? Pump?

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, guys...that was the FIRST time I have ridden the bike...HOOOOOLY FUCK!!!!! I forgot what it was like to ride, it's been so long! Now I have a SERIOUS ITCH that I HAVE TO SCRATCH!!!!

Just a quick 100 yard jaunt down the highway, and I was fucking GIDDY like a schoolgirl LOL....I know....only riders get that feeling, so you know what I am talking about. It's been 2 years since I wrapped my legs around a bike...Hell I rode the damned thing without a seat! HAAHAA!!!!!!!!

Please help me get this grumpy bitch going ASAP :D

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
It doesn't have a fuel filter
:(

Are you sure the carbs are still clean then? Maybe a plugged jet?

If it were me I would run it like you described before and wait until you get you no-start condition.

Instantly pop the fuel cap off and listen for a whoosh or something to indicate a vacuum in the tank. That will let you know if it's venting properly like Fate was suggesting.

Also check turn your fuel off that instant then check to see if your bowls are dry. If you are running a vacuum operated petcock that may be acting up and giving you a no-fuel condition.

And check for spark while everything is still hot. Could be a coil(s) dying and the heat is making it act up.

Chances are it is fuel or spark related, just gotta investigate to see whats up.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I soaked the carbs in a 75-25 mix of Pinesol for 32 hours, then scrubbed them with a toothbrush. They SHOULD be clean. lol.

I'm going back out to check and see if it will start again.

The guys from KatRiders.com say to NEVER put a fuel filter on the 750 Kat...for whatever reason...

I am running a petcock system, but the cock is new (lol)

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok...so I just went out and started it, and it would rev up to 5k, then die out. It did that 3-4 times, and then fired up for about 10-15 seconds, then slowly sputtered out with me feathering the throttle, and would not fire again. I instantly popped the fuel cap, and heard no "whoosh", left the cap open, and tried starting it again...no dice.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Ok, depending on how much fuel is in the tank it may take awhile for a venting problem to show up. When the fuel drains and it leaves air space behind it takes a while for a vacuum to actually be created. Several minutes or more. But since it's still dying chances are venting is not your problem anyway.

Any bike that runs off gasoline needs a fuel filter.JMO. A $3 fuel filter is cheap insurance that your carbs will stay nice and clean inside. I know alot of bikes run socks over the petcocks inside,but they rot away and I dont ever trust them. Again,JMO

Clean carbs are happy carbs.

If your floats and needles are healthy then you will have no problems running the bike on the PRIME setting on the 'cock. Turn that on and wait a minute to make sure its not trying to flood. If it does ok there then start the bike and see if it stays running.

When it died just now did you check the fuel level in the bowls?

How long has the bike been sitting since you cleaned the carburetors? Stored dry?

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just cleaned the carbs 2 days ago.

The needles and jets are good...not clogged/bent, and the floats are good.

I didn't check the fuel level in the bowls, but it was stored dry throughout the duration of the build...it's raining right now. :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts