Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine is getting ready to move to Charlotte and is trying not to take the several unfinished bikes he has with him if he can help it.

He's got a 1971 Suzuki T500 that I would really dig for a custom project but......... no fuckin' title :doh:

No I know all about the vermant transferable registration and shit but NY can be right pricks when it comes to paper work and bullshit. Has anyone from NY had any actual success with this? DME says they just need bill of sale and transferable valid registration to title (in theory) but you know.... still sounds shifty lol.

Also, value lol. Bike is rough....like real rough lol BUT it runs. He's got new throttle and brake cables and it's pretty much complete. Gas and oil tanks are clean and it's basically all there. He had been asking publically for 2k which I thought was ludicrous for a bike that needs a complete top to bottom resto and has no title. I was going to tell him 400 but I don't want to insult him you know. I'm sure he doesn't want to haul another bike and parts a thousand miles if he can help it though.

What would you do? He's moving tomorrow so time is somewhat of the essence lol

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I was going to tell him 400 but I don't want to insult him you know.
Same dude that owns the 748 you did work on?

I'd tell him you would give him $400, take it or leave it. Wouldn't hurt my feelings. If your price isn't close to what it would take for him to let go of it then so be it.

·
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, same dude. He's had the bike for at least two years and hasn't done shit with it.

He's all "I've seen them go for over 4k" and this that and the other. Strange I've found two in excellent shape with titles under 8k miles for $2500.

I'm not gonna pay more than $500 for a bike with no 100% guarantee of getting a good title in my name and state which is going to need a complete ground up rebuild for at least 2k.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I can title that in NH done it many times,aint gotta clua about tha NY end tho.Deal is I need to get one of me local plod overe to me shop to actually see and check tha frame vin'once that's done its of to me local DMV to register once its registerd then its up to tha individual stae to accept that NH reg as proof.

·
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankfully the deal fell through. I couldn't find any performance stuff for these that didn't come from over seas and my eBay searches turned up a handful but of parts but not much.

If it was a couple hundred it might have been worth it. He's just gonna take it down with him and continue to not do anything with it I guess lol. Mehhh

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've got a buddy that's pretty knowledgeable on T500's. Apparently the crank bearings are no longer made/available. That's pretty serious for a 2 stroke. There's a company in the UK somewhere that will Grind out the stock bearing outer races to accept modern stuff. The crank is several individual pieces ( 8 pieces IIRC) and it has to be precisely aligned and pressed together. IIRC,having the bearings done and reinstalled on the crank was about $500, which isn't horrible considering. As far as performance parts...well, it's a 2 stroke. You'll have to mov the port according to your own needs and make/buy a good set of chambers. Easy stuff actually, and the info is out there on what is proven if you search hard enough. The only other ''performance mod'' is crank stuffers. Basically just large pieces of aluminum that help to fill up the crankcase to help raise compression ratio. I saw one dyno sheet at my buddies place where I guy was regularly getting 90 rwhp out of a Titan. 90 2stroke hp is pretty damn peppy. Don't let a search for performance parts discourage you. There's just not really anything you can bolt on to this type of engine that will boost power. It's a different ball game.

·
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually found a few set of NOS crank bearings for a decent price on the ebays lol. Yeah, I saw a few pics of the crank on one and see how it's split into several bits to fit the main bearings and the rod needle bearings on and such.

He just couldn't accept the fact that a bike that's been sitting outside under a tarp for three years with rust and corrosion with no title wasn't worth more than a few hundred buck so he will now have to spend even more on shipping cost. He's bringing about 10 bikes down with him so who knows how much that will cost to ship but hey...not my fuckin problem right? He could have made a few bucks and saved a few bucks but his loss.

This was the bike in question too. I thought $400 was way more than fair but hey, whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts