Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which would you go with?

98 KTM rxc400 (enduro), 4700 miles, a few scratches (10'er), dirt setup, needs shock rebuilt, $2200

vs

01 KTM 640e (enduro), 8100 miles, a couple scratches (5'er), dirt setup but needs tires, $3400obo

Both are street legal, both use the lc4 engine, both are 100% stock, both would need some supermoto wheels, both have e-start, both run great, both are a white/silver/black color combo, both are pretty similar in weight (~340# wet), the 640 makes about 10hp more and I think a few extra ftlbs.

Edit: these arent the exact bikes but what they look like...

400:

640:

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
Both seem a little expensive for what they are.

They have the same basic engine, just different versions of it.

I'd look harder for something a bit more modern. You should be able to find an XR650R for what the 640 costs.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
LC4 all day they are ridiculously fun to ride anywhere. They'll pull a wheelie in any gear at any rpm. My buddy has 1 I used to ride it all the time.
And they will run 100 mph

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both seem a little expensive for what they are.

They have the same basic engine, just different versions of it.

I'd look harder for something a bit more modern. You should be able to find an XR650R for what the 640 costs.
A XR650R isnt street legal so thats already out unless you meant the XL650R? Im not sure about the the newer 650 motor from honda but I had a XL600R and that was on par with with the 400 from KTM as far as power but everything else is bigger and heavier and weaker and simply seems outdated compared to a KTM of similar year.

LC4 all day they are ridiculously fun to ride anywhere. They'll pull a wheelie in any gear at any rpm. My buddy has 1 I used to ride it all the time.
And they will run 100 mph
I used to ride a lc4 400 for a bit and it never seemed like much of a animal to me. Pretty mellow. It seemed like the xl600 I had had more bottom end grunt but the ktm would fly once wound up. I guess I'm wondering more if the extra power and newer looks of the 640 is worth the extra cash. I thought the power of the 400 was ok but like all things more is better right? Anyone know if the way the power of the 640 comes on is any different then the 400 or if the 640 vibes are worse then a 400?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I've never ridden the 400 but the 640 was a best all around I loved I'm still trying to get my buddy to sell it to me. His is 99 and was just awesome I loved it. It was quick down low and up top I would pay the extra in a heart beat

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i may be making this up but im pretty sure the 640 motor can take more abuse. it also responds to mods as well as the 400 and costs about the same to maintain. and you would be starting with more ccs with the 640. id say buy them both and whichever one you like less you can give me

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
A XR650R isnt street legal so thats already out unless you meant the XL650R? Im not sure about the the newer 650 motor from honda but I had a XL600R and that was on par with with the 400 from KTM as far as power but everything else is bigger and heavier and weaker and simply seems outdated compared to a KTM of similar year.

I used to ride a lc4 400 for a bit and it never seemed like much of a animal to me. Pretty mellow. It seemed like the xl600 I had had more bottom end grunt but the ktm would fly once wound up. I guess I'm wondering more if the extra power and newer looks of the 640 is worth the extra cash. I thought the power of the 400 was ok but like all things more is better right? Anyone know if the way the power of the 640 comes on is any different then the 400 or if the 640 vibes are worse then a 400?
Different states are different, I didn't know you guys couldn't plate dirtbikes there. Here in CA we can't anymore but there are plenty of XR650Rs running around with plates.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Ya around here so long as you get a title xr650r are street legal.

If you want a sumo I'd look around more for an already converted one. The wheel set ups are pretty expensive no?

Otherwise I like the 400 for concern with price point after wheel/hub purchase.

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
prices are high, for me at least.

Id get the 640 do the roller bearing upgrade ASAP

I wouldn't pay more than maybe <2k for one without the replacement.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A supermoto wheel setup is around $7-900 for decent used stuff so ywah it's expensive. As low as $500 for some wheels if you find a deal or can live with some cosmetic damage to them.

The 400 never had the roller bearing upgeade. Im pretty sure the 640 never had the upgrade either.

I like the 640 for extra power which im hoping will make some longer trips on the highway a little more manageable. KBB puts the 640 at $2600 in excellent condition and the 400 at $2000 in excellent condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts