Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, brand new member here but I've been cheekily reading a few build threads over the months. I'm currently in the process of a '95 CBR900 build (which I may or may not make a build thread for depending on how brave I'm feeling) and I've finally got my Ducati 696 seat unit through. Now there is another user on here (Dolland) with the same bike who has done the same seat mod that I've looked at and I like how he's done the subframe.

I don't have a welder, nor do I know how to weld. I have a friend who does but a welder is still on his wish list. My question is: Do you guys think it would be possible and structurally sound to create a billet subframe? As in cut each side from a piece of maybe 1" sheet steel/aluminium and then just attach braces and mounting points to connect the two sides?

I'm aware that the subframe pictured isn't exactly a 2D stencil shape that a home-made billet part would be, but theoretically, could it be done? Or should I just find a friendly person with a welder who will help me for money/sexual favours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great Hrdy, thanks. I really like the look of that second one, I'll need a full length subframe because I'm planning to keep pillion capabilities. Do you know if it is possible to bend steel or aluminium that thick at home, or would I need a proper workshop to do it?

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
One inch is overkill, you would be fine with 1/4 or 3/16. You could bend it at home, but it wouldn't be easy and you'll have to settle for smooth curves, as opposed to something more angular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts