Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i picked up a zx a little while ago for a couple hundred dollars so i figured id make it a little project. i dont know much about bikes, i come from the car scene so bear with my ignorance.

i plan on getting rid of the tank, velocity stacks, and hardtail conversion.

first off i hear alot about this ram air shit. i read up on it a bit but they usually keep the airbox. i will have no airbox. how will i get the bike to run right with open stacks? or will i have to make a small manifold type airbox instead.

heres the bike so far. i already trimmed one of the seat brackets off.

hope you guys like what im doing and can help me along the way with your input.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Depends on the use of the bike, You can run pod filters just have to change out the jets/needls in the carbs to match. If its a fair weather/weekender you can just run pods. If you want D/D reliability I would build a manifold of some sort, it will idle better, and generally be easier to use.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
I've got a ZX7R, a 97 specifically... you're never going to get the bike to run smoothly without the airbox. Kawi's (specifically the ZX750 and ZX7R) really need a lot of restriction (talking airbox all the way to the exhaust) to run properly. Almost everyone that's running a Kawi 750 motor has the stock air filter and a full exhaust on it. Things like a K&N air filter or a shorty exhaust can cause some problems that need some very precise carb tuning to get it running smoothly....

Basically I think your chances of getting your bike running with pods are extremely slim to none, based on some experience and a lot of research.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
A quick search on ebay shows that there are a lot of ZX7 airboxes available for pretty cheap money. If I were you, I'd keep the stacks, get a proper airbox with the scoops that go through the frame, and do the Kawi Kleen Air mod.

If you want more info on the kleen air mod, let me know and I'll shoot some links your way.

·
poor bastard
24 Posts
Hardtail conversion on a sportbike, pardon me?

You don't have to have ramair tubes, but you better run stock airbox. If you aren't building a dragbike, I'd suggest you to get rid of that extended swinger and make a proper bike out of it.

If you want to make a hardtail bobber, then first of all you have bought a wrong pile of spares that needs swapping for something more suitable for your needs. Maybe a steel tube framed 80's bike, if you want inline four. Some can make pretty good bobbers, choppers or cafe racers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick search on ebay shows that there are a lot of ZX7 airboxes available for pretty cheap money. If I were you, I'd keep the stacks, get a proper airbox with the scoops that go through the frame, and do the Kawi Kleen Air mod.

If you want more info on the kleen air mod, let me know and I'll shoot some links your way.
if you could pm me with the info that would be great! and thanks for the info im going to probably make my own airbox. i hate the tank shape and everything is so bulky so im going custom.

Hardtail conversion on a sportbike, pardon me?
thats exactly the responce im looking for. i love a challange and im wiling to give it everything ive got to make this thing work and still look the way i want it.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
really? seems to me that all you would have to do is bolt a solid piece of pipe in place of the rear shock?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts