Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bobber or rat/brat bobber…
I don’t know anymore and who cares really, either way it’s started.
Another between ol mate and myself, he does the foundation work and I put it back together painted & polished.

I do have to mention though where flogging the bike off when its finished, so it’s being done around Australian modification regulations more specific Queensland. Turning it into a rigid needs to be done a certain way otherwise it becomes a lot more expensive to rego (engineering certificates) so the hands are tied when it comes to how far we can chop it…Cant alter original suspension mounts basically. So with regulations in mind off we went, grinder in one hand beer in another.

Its a 1986 Suzuki GN250 and I know why bother hey, it’s a shit looking bike that no one wants, myself included….it was free and a good runner (only positive aspect about the bike).
See no one wants it, which means now it needs to be turned into something that people want otherwise where stuck with the fricken thing and I aren’t riding it like it is….I do have some morals.

Anyhoo, like usual in pieces sandblasted primed and ready to rock n roll (ol mate), a lots done so it shouldn’t be a long and drawn out build (unlike the others)….I hope.

This is what it looks like unmolested courtesy of the net...damn they look shit.

this is how I get it in all its glory, pretty sure there is some more pieces somewhere like the motor.

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Frame has rear section removed, pilion supports removed, centre supports (rider) were angled down and gussets welded in, all brackets etc removed and most of the welds were smoothed over...oh and the tank mount at the front was raised an inch….

Legally we can only use shocks or solid struts….so lowered struts it is and also pull up the forks, this should drop the bike bout 2-3 inches..

Cut and primed..

one all black frame...

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
looks like a good start, keep it going :)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looks like you're starting off in the right foot frame looks good

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, the frame did come up a little better than expected, mind you that weld smoothing crap was a bitch, took about 2 days just to fill and sand most em.

Found that motor I was missing so gave it a coat or 2…going to polish a couple of pieces and replace the bolts I can with stainless steel and that’s about it….

Also wheels were done…rims were left chrome (still in good nic) but the spokes were a little rusty so that same black was used to tart them up a little, all bearings get replaced as well, regardless.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Dude.. If you want to get rid of it at the end think of me first! I've got the 93 gixxer that I'm trying to rid myself of..

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty then, a lot has been done as mentioned before so fast forward to today.
Here it lies, greasy and dusty from basically being in the garage…

Working on forward controls and the seat at the moment and also finishing of the wiring…
Apart from what’s been mentioned, also mount the rear guard properly mount the idiot lights in the headlight bucket and that’s about it I think.
Purchased and waiting upon arrival are the speedo, taillight, handgrips, mirrors, coil, foot pegs and indicators.

We went for drag bars (handle bars) instead of ape hangers as it was 100 for the apes and then we would have to extend all the cables and wiring…this way it was $23 for the drag bar (new delivered, ebuy) and its done.

have to give this a special mention...
ol mate cut the frame and dropped it without knowing whats there...check out how close the filter is to the frame 1.5mm away....hows that for arsing it.

the forward controls Im working on...care of a GSX400 plus a few extra pieces..

and the start of the seat...this I really like, ol mate bought a plasma cutter and this is his first job I got it primed as is, now I put it back together painted and upholstered...this is going to look sicly cool :)

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres the seat almost finished…just have some pipping/edging to go around to hide or neaten up the sponge to do and the mounting brackets also but cant do that until the springs arrive after which, it’s finished.

With the addition of springs if you can picture it, heres a rough idea.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Making quick work of this one looks great seat came out awesome

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
that would look even more awesome if you would narrow that tank!!

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
no, not a sporty tank and not a peanut tank. Just a narrowed stock tank, it has a cool shape so why get rid of it?

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update….
Cant believe how dusty this thing is from just sitting in the garage…

Anyhoo, left to do or receive in the post is the rear view mirrors, bolt on the rear guard and taillight, seat springs and mount, idiot lights, some polishing and wiring...

Also need a coil and gasket for the carb then I can try to start the ol girl…

1 - 20 of 24 Posts