Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a bike question, my GSR600 (GSXR-600 engine) bogs down when I take too long to shift between gears when "hot" (as in normal temp range).

Usually happens between 3rd and 2nd, when I'm coming to a stop (red light, etc). Bought new spark plugs, haven't put them in yet, any ideas ? Also exhaust smells kinda gassy, should I be worried ? BTW it's a FI and not a carb setup.

·
Registered
740 Posts
So when you say between shifts, you mean coasting with the clutch pulled in while slowing down, rather than engine braking?

Is the idle OK when stopped in neutral or is it unsteady/slow? If it runs better the more load it's under, so runs great at WOT pulls, but poor when coasting/idling, coupled with you say the exhaust smells rich my first suspect would be a leaking injector/s. If a little bit of crap gets between the pindle and seat they can slightly stick open, continuously misting a little fuel in making it rich. Pretty easy to check. Remove the fuel rail from the manifold but leave the supply line hooked up. Disconnect the injector leads if it makes it easier. Turn the key to on with the kill switch on, the fuel pump should run to pressurize the system. Watch each injector if one starts to lightly mist, or drip. If so, it needs to be cleaned (use a 9v battery to open it and blow carb spray through it).

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, dies when clutch is pulled in, comes back up once gear is engaged. Idle sometimes seems choppy sometimes ok, I wouldn't say it's really choppy, but just every now and then it seems to miss a beat. And yeah seems choppy when coasting, runs fine when I turn the throttle to 999 :p.

And what do you mean "open with 9V battery ?" connectors touching the metal to create a spark ? I don't understand.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Use a couple jumper wires to connect the 2 terminals of the injector to the + and - sides of the 9v battery. Polarity doesn't matter. Just be careful not to let the leads touch, the injector terminals are close together and can easily create a spark as you're blasting highly flammable carb spray. A little tape around the alligator clip is a good idea.

Don't leave it hooked up to the battery for more than a few seconds. Leaving it connected for a long time can burn out the injector since they're not designed to be "on" continuously. But this is much cheaper than "professional" injector cleaning using a special machine to do the same thing.

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed the spark plugs, seems to run a little better. Didn't have a new air filter at the time, bought one this morning, and need to change it because it's filthy ! But I'll change that later because I broke the stupid plastic cover while getting to the plugs and it won't survive another disassembly...

I was way to careless with the bike and now she is giving me crap for it. I deserve it I suppose. But I really love the damm thing. Bought it with my grandad's money. Means alot to me
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wife helping me out with the spark plugs "What is this for ?"

Getting the hands dirty !

Out with the old, in with the new, they needed changing !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.