Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VFR is done-ish for now, so time to knock the dust off another build.

Braapalicious because all 4 strokers are, Rex because she's an air cooled, tough old lady... but she'll bitch slap ya if you're not careful...

96 XR400R
hot cam
over bore
FCR off a WR400
Supertrapp pipe
Forks reworked by Pro-Action
DOT knobbies
Plethora of aluminum dress up and skid plates
Baja designs DS kit
bark busters
bear trap footpegs
Polisport plastics... XR4 SM rear fender, new side covers CRF front fender

And...

A street title!!! :rock:

Right now she's running well, but needs the BD kit hooked up proper & tested, then made road legal. Should be fun!

Not giving myself a deadline, those are buzzkills.

Looked like this when I got it...

The harness had been butchered, some of it was patched in with headphone wire :nuts:

I cleaned all that shit up & am in the home stretch of sorting the harness properly, getting a better battery in, etc.

Current state:

I'm hoping to get Travis to do up a seat cover and tank cover for me, a la the Bolivian ebay specials, but made with 'murican pride by a Murican. :D

After the wiring and cosmetics, it gets my old beat up cortech sport tail bag and some mileage!

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear light was ditched in favor of something more robust... and yammie parts just wouldn't do... I built this little unit out of aluminum extrusion and tinted a Honda CBR front turn signal to function as the brake & tail light. I used Duplicolor Metalcast red spray paint on the amber lens, it turned out well and shines red when lit.

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case you didn't notice during my CB900F and VFR builds, I like to make everything 100% functional and legal. So this build may drag out on little things like license plate lights, mirrors, etc... but it's mine and I like it that way.

My riding style = probable cause... no need to give the man any extra reasons IMO!! :D

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
I like to make everything 100% functional and legal. So this build may drag out on little things like license plate lights, mirrors, etc... but it's mine and I like it that way.

My riding style = probable cause... no need to give the man any extra reasons IMO!! :D
That's exactly why I'm thinking about getting another cruiser :nuts: they're practically invisible to the cops around here

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feck yeah I did!!

Just finished the design and I'm making templates for him now.

Blank canvas:

Less blank:

The spray paint the previous owner shot on the tank was good for something... it takes pencil very well. I copied the XR logo from a picture of the seat back of a newer model.

Might get some vinyl done for the side covers and headlight, we'll see.

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seat, tank and templates are now in transit to Wisco...

I just remembered that I need a speedo and maybe some idiot lights. I had bought a Trail Tech Vapor for this thing, but I robbed it from the project box and used it on the CB.

I kinda like the analog rectangular stock units, but they are pricey.

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I almost bought another Vapor gauge yesterday, but I held off in case something else comes my way. I have some time before I need it, and I found it on Amazon so I can get it in 2-3 days with my Prime account. I did order an oil filter and a new air filter.

I'm sending out the headlight, side covers, and a spare tail on Monday to my decal guy to let him mess around a little, see what he comes back with.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Those terminals are barely OK for car hi-fi. If left outside they corrode and turn to crap, if they don't short on the frame.

Get yourself some japanese bullet clips off ebay or eastern beaver, and make a decent job of the electrics.

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those terminals are barely OK for car hi-fi. If left outside they corrode and turn to crap, if they don't short on the frame.

Get yourself some japanese bullet clips off ebay or eastern beaver, and make a decent job of the electrics.
Agreed. I really just want to throw this bike together and mark it in the "done" column. My psyche needs a win on the project front. I have 3 more bike projects that have been languishing for a long time. If I get it sorted/working "done", then I can move on. I have a cart saved on Eastern Beaver with a nice crimping tool and a list of items needed for building better, but it's not in the budget yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts