Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I came across this awesome Katana build and was inspired to try something similar. I came across two similar builds on here, 1 & 2.

General idea is to strip off all the fairings, add some clip-ons, a round headlight, and a new exhaust. I think I would start with that and maybe do some frame work later on. Do you guys think this is too big of a first time project?

I've also looked at the Bandit 600/650 and Honda 919 which both seem like they could get the same aesthetic if you removed the fairings, swapped the exhaust and added clip-ons. Does anyone know if that rear fairing under the seat of these bikes is easily removable while retaining the seat? Both of these bikes appeal to me as alternatives because they look similar to the Katana but are a little bit more modern, and they would require no/a lot less frame work in the long run since they're already almost completely naked.

Or I could bypass all of this and get a ~2007 Monster that I'd probably be completely happy with. Just not as much fun in that, you know?

Thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sometimes I get cranky when I know I have a big test to study for. Thanks for the welcome!
Sounds like you're not following the "School Free Drug Zone" policy of education.

It's kind of tempting to spend more and get the bike you want rather than get a bargain project. There's not really a wrong choice, just depends how much value you put on the actual building experience and skill level. Some people like having a bike that has little to no un-modified or swapped parts, others are satisfied with just some bolt-ons. A Bandit or older Honda 9xx will cost you less than half what a newer Monster would to buy, parts are cheaper and easier to get, and there's a metric fuckton (or about 1.4 imperial assloads) of info about Bandit fightering on this site. Ducati's are historically, like most "exotic" vehicles, fairly expensive to own in terms of maintenance and repairs.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
If this is your first bike if suggest a cheap bike that you don't modify much. Learning to ride and what you want out of a bike is a long process.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
my first attempt was this

pulled fairings, new headlight, new slip on exhaust (chopped), and flipped the bars. easy peasy.

depending what year katana you get, you can flip the bars and mount them underneath the top triple, giving a lower hand position (sacrificing some comfort).

the motohangar build is fairly basic, but he also did a bit of subframe work to eliminate the gap between the subframe toprail and the seat. i haven't looked through the other two builds you linked.

I say go for it. the kat and bandit are steel frames and easier to weld on than alluminum.
start with it, and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you're not following the "School Free Drug Zone" policy of education.

It's kind of tempting to spend more and get the bike you want rather than get a bargain project. There's not really a wrong choice, just depends how much value you put on the actual building experience and skill level. Some people like having a bike that has little to no un-modified or swapped parts, others are satisfied with just some bolt-ons. A Bandit or older Honda 9xx will cost you less than half what a newer Monster would to buy, parts are cheaper and easier to get, and there's a metric fuckton (or about 1.4 imperial assloads) of info about Bandit fightering on this site. Ducati's are historically, like most "exotic" vehicles, fairly expensive to own in terms of maintenance and repairs.
Honestly the older Monsters I've been looking at (pre-2008) are going for about the same price as the 919 or Bandit at about 4k-6k. The Katana is the one I'm seeing for really cheap at around 3k.

The only thing I don't like about the Katana is that it is carbed and I live in a cold climate, not sure if it is really that big of a hassle though.

If this is your first bike if suggest a cheap bike that you don't modify much. Learning to ride and what you want out of a bike is a long process.
It will be my first bike but I have some riding experience on a friend's Ninja 650. This is why I'm looking at something I could do simple mods on though. I also think the 919 might be pushing it as a first bike.

my first attempt was this

pulled fairings, new headlight, new slip on exhaust (chopped), and flipped the bars. easy peasy.

depending what year katana you get, you can flip the bars and mount them underneath the top triple, giving a lower hand position (sacrificing some comfort).

the motohangar build is fairly basic, but he also did a bit of subframe work to eliminate the gap between the subframe toprail and the seat. i haven't looked through the other two builds you linked.

I say go for it. the kat and bandit are steel frames and easier to weld on than alluminum.
start with it, and go from there.
That looks awesome! Exactly what I had in mind, do you happen to have more pictures or video even? How does it perform after shedding all that weight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the build thread is linked in my sig. performance...it's still a kat 600 (i.e. not well)
Rofl, not sure how I missed that because I saw the CB build. I think my brain was filtering out green text on this site.

I'm looking at a 2006 so the bar will probably be flippable, would be nice to save some money there. Taking a look at this for a speedo. Have yet to do the digging to find out if it'll be compatible with the Katana but I'm just assuming for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts