Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I will be by a set of brake discs for my build but i have some issues about using them. I am using a front end from a TL1000S, I will be using the front wheel from my sportster (see build thread) I have found brake discs specially for my hub and at the needed 320mm. only problem is my hub is round about 113.3mm and the TL is 130mm and the discs have an offset of 9mm each. when all is said and done including offset that puts my hub at 131.284 making each side .642mm wider than the TL both with 5mm discs. will this be too wide or will it be ok?. I have heard of peoples brakes locking up because they heat up too much from the rubbing. what can i do to remedy this? could i use .5mm washers under the brake caliper on its mounting points?

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Adding washers between the caliper and leg moves the caliper inwards. Sounds like you need to move it outwards instead.

That being said: the disc's should be close but what equals about 0.025" should be OK, as the outer pistons will slightly be biased to the outside instead of perfectly centered.

But that's my opinion, someone else can chime in.

Later, Doug

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah true I had it in my head backwards. haven't had em in had for a while. maybe take some material out of the mounting ears on the caliper .5mm each. the company i will be ordering from does custom discs for about the same price as the ones I will buy. I'll ask them tomorrow if they will adjust the offset for me.

G

·
You should move your calipers out by the required amount as if you dont there may be an issue with the pads rubbing,heating the disc & warping it, you can do this with washers but you may also need new mounting bolts & they need to be of the same tensile strength as the original

1 - 5 of 5 Posts