Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently stripped my 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600, and in the process of putting it back together I left the front end naked and converted to a single headlight. Everything is fine other than my tail light not operating while the bike is on. Both brakes power the light, but there is no low running tail light. I'm wondering what I might have changed at the front end of the bike that could have affected the tail end. Any ideas what my problem is here?

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Strip the tail so you'd have access to the harness. Check all your connections. You never know
when some of them might just be loose or corrupted and you'll love yourself for doing a quick
check before digging any deeper if that's the source of your problem.

..Then start working your way back from the tail with a tester.

Edit: Hi, welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, first thread! Hello everyone! As it warms up here in MO, I will likely have all sorts of questions to ask. Possibly starting a Katana build thread if I can handle eyes on my every decision...

Seems a very logical approach. Fingers crossed for a poor connection at the tail light.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Seems a very logical approach. Fingers crossed for a poor connection at the tail light.
I'm no engineer and a youngling with poor understanding of many things (bike related included)
so you might want to wait for some smarter chaps to come along and drop their two cents.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Is there a way to test the bulbs before replacing them
A tester.

Do you have any way to create your own circuit? It's not hard to use simple wires to wire up a bulb, look into it mate

Reactions: Casper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fix:

I tested the voltage in the tail circuits with my multimeter and found that all we're producing the expected 12V. The issue was in fact in the bulbs. Both of my tail lights and my license light burned through the running coils while the brake coils were intact in both tail lights. $12 pain-free fix.

Thanks, guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
The fix:

I tested the voltage in the tail circuits with my multimeter and found that all we're producing the expected 12V. The issue was in fact in the bulbs. Both of my tail lights and my license light burned through the running coils while the brake coils were intact in both tail lights. $12 pain-free fix.

Thanks, guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

:rock:

Just opened the thread to suggest one of the filaments in the bulb itself was likely burned out, dealt with that more times than I can even remember. Welcome to CF! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts