Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey cf just wondering what you thought about these and if any of you had experience with em?
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/signal-dynamics-back-off-wig-wag-brake-light-flasher/part/SD-1009

Cheaper ones available on ebay...
I just feel like if id seen a bikes brake lights do that, id slow down if i was in a cage behind it. helps catch attention.

And im sorry if theres a topic about these, nothing came up on search for me
In the odd case theres a ton of interest for these here, i found a retailer who does group buys...

thanks guys - Kai

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I agree that they definitely catch your attention. One guy I ride with some had something similar on his bike. It was extremely noticeable, but it would kinda entrance me (that a word?). I found myself just staring at this jubilee of light in front of me ,rather than slowing down, and honestly almost hit him one day.

Like a moth to a flame, if that makes any sense.

Or I could be the only idiot that gets hypnotized (shoulda used that word the first time....dang) by the things.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
My riding buddy bought me an integrated light with one built in, I have to say it is awesome.
Seriously attention-grabbing, I will be fitting one to every bike I own if possible.
Come on by and have a look this weekend if you like.

Reactions: medimicated420

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really like them under normal braking conditions. But when you are on, off, on, off the brakes.... they just constantly blink and never go solid.
Seems like I remember one of the "nicer" ones had a fix for this... if the brakes had been applied within "X" seconds, it didn't flash.

They definitely help in a situation where the person can't tell if the brake light is on or off. Like... "Did that come on, or did I just blink". My girl's SV650 light is so bright that sometimes I think the brakes are on when it's just the tail-light. But my Brother and Friend have aftermarket lights (Ducati and SV650)... both of them are dimmer. Sometimes I don't realize the brake light is on when it is. I can only imagine there may be some confusion from vehicles not specifically following them, not "paying attention" to them, or simply not familiar.

My Vote is yes, with the disclaimer that I'd try to commit to braking rather than flashing it 6 times while coming to a stop.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had one on my fz for a while. the only problem i had was when i went with a ride with someone else (almost never do this) and he told me that my lights were dim very dim. whent to change the bulb and was still dim. ended up cutting it out last fall and back to brightness.
he also said that you had to figure out what the hell i was doing i could see someone sitting there and not realising your stopping.
after talking with him i will never have one again.
RW

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I had the brake light one on my 06 Road King. It blinked a lot faster but they do grab your attention. Not a fan of the headlight one. I find them annoying, but then again that is probably what they are supposed to be to get your attention.

Reactions: medimicated420

·
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
77 Posts
Here is an adjustable one for a decent price. Click here
I can't find it on eBay at the moment, but there has been other adjustable brake light flashers for just a couple bucks.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the brake light one on my 06 Road King. It blinked a lot faster but they do grab your attention. Not a fan of the headlight one. I find them annoying, but then again that is probably what they are supposed to be to get your attention.
Didnt know they made a headlight one, yeah, that would annoy the shit outta me everytime i braked lol

My riding buddy bought me an integrated light with one built in, I have to say it is awesome.
Seriously attention-grabbing, I will be fitting one to every bike I own if possible.
Come on by and have a look this weekend if you like.
maybe depending on how weather ends up this weekend, got two places to shovel and 2 other family households -_-

I had one on my fz for a while. the only problem i had was when i went with a ride with someone else (almost never do this) and he told me that my lights were dim very dim. whent to change the bulb and was still dim. ended up cutting it out last fall and back to brightness.
he also said that you had to figure out what the hell i was doing i could see someone sitting there and not realising your stopping.
after talking with him i will never have one again.
RW
Interesting, Havent read about this with these but maybe its just with traditional bulbs then...

and cruxgnz thanks for the link!

and thanks for the input guys, I will try one out and do a writeup.

·
Registered
269 Posts
lol... headlight one.

Some bikes OEM (I think) came with a flashing headlight... which happens only during daytime. And is in no way connected to brakes.

They are moderately annoying to see. but yes, they do grab attention. Personally, it seems like every bike headlight flashes because of the short wheelbases and bumps. Maybe that's just the roads around here. or the height of my SUV

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
The aftermarket cbr 1k tail light I have has a set up that blinks three time then stays solid. Can also be turned off. I like it though, its enough to get get your attention with out being super annoying

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
740 Posts
They do catch attention, and I think the bigger factor is that it different than the third/trunk lid brake light of a car. A lot of rear-end accidents the cager saw the bike's brake light, but assumed it was the third light of the car in front since they're often of similar size and height. Having it flash gets attention.

You can buy the little box for $5, or just pulse the brake lever a few times as you slow, and if you're stopped and you see cars approaching behind you (you are watching your mirrors right?), flick the lever a few times, which costs absolutely nothing.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
...or just pulse the brake lever a few times as you slow, and if you're stopped and you see cars approaching behind you (you are watching your mirrors right?), flick the lever a few times, which costs absolutely nothing.
I do that even with my strobe module attached.

If I see headlights behind me and I'm not emergency braking I typically let it strobe, hold solid for a few sec, then repeat... usually a couple times

1 - 15 of 15 Posts