Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today i converted my bike to have a single renthal bar. totally underestimated the amount of work this will take but right now my front brake lines are too short aswell as my throttle, clutch, and choke cable.

so is there a brake line extension out there somewhere or do i have to get custom lines now?
i know theres places like spiegler that makes them but i cant seem to find how to replicate hondas configuraion. the main line comes down from the master cylinder and splits off right above the tire on the left side of the bike. one flexable line goes straight down to the left side front caliper and the other goes into a solid line that goes across the top of the tire and then connects to a flexable line that goes down to the right side front caliper.

somewhat unrelated but where can i get longer cables?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here's what I did, extended the lines 5 inches for $3.50. Oreilies has small hollow rods in the back. Cut your lines then splice it in. I had to dremel the ends of the rod so I could force them into the brake lines, you want a tight fit, I had to fight with it. Then get some small hose clamps and wallah. Works great and doesn't look bad at all. No leaks and I've had it that way for about 5k miles.

Keep sayin im gonna get some stainless but bleh.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Here's what I did, extended the lines 5 inches for $3.50. Oreilies has small hollow rods in the back. Cut your lines then splice it in. I had to dremel the ends of the rod so I could force them into the brake lines, you want a tight fit, I had to fight with it. Then get some small hose clamps and wallah. Works great and doesn't look bad at all. No leaks and I've had it that way for about 5k miles.

Post pics yo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dude. I love you. That's a great fix for now. There's still time left in my season to ride so that's a great fix. Your the man.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
That sounds very unsafe. Spend the money and do it right. There are a bunch of sellers on eBay that sell custom lines.
I agree, one thing you don't mess with is brakes. if that tube pops out your fucked, and it always happens at the worst time.... when you need it! There is a hell of a lot of pressure in the brake lines.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It works just fine, I had to use a lot of force to put the ends into the lines a good inch. With the two hose clamps it's not going to go anywhere. The pressure in the lines isn't great enough to shove the tube out. It's not the end all solution but like I said it works just fine, I've seen one guy have a stunt bike for two years with a similar setup before buying extended lines.

It's all about fitment, I had to grind mine to just force it, and I mean red in the face force, into the lines so it has to be a very tight fit. You want to just barely be able to fit it in there.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Holy shit! The dude preaching to me about rim metallurgy spliced his brake lines?!? With hose clamps?!?

Just messin' with ya. ;) Kinda. That does sound unsafe. Brake fluid is a helluva lubricant. And there's not a hose clamp I've seen that I'd trust under those kind of pressure.

Not trying to be a dick or give you a hard time, but my conscience made me post this.

Be safe guys. A good braided line can be had for ~$20.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Holy shit! The dude preaching to me about rim metallurgy spliced his brake lines?!? With hose clamps?!?

Just messin' with ya. ;) Kinda. That does sound unsafe. Brake fluid is a helluva lubricant. And there's not a hose clamp I've seen that I'd trust under those kind of pressure.

Not trying to be a dick or give you a hard time, but my conscience made me post this.

Be safe guys. A good braided line can be had for ~$20.
I know it lol shame on me, this is not the best thing to do, it's more out of desperation. It's a fix not so much a solution.

It's somethin an old biker taught me, he ran it on bikes for a few years "back in the day" with no problems before finally getting some extended lines. This is my second time doing it, no problems out of it yet after 4k miles of some hard riding but still, take this with a grain of salt. The fit has to be incredibly tight, with a couple drops of pb I struggled and I mean struggled to fit it into the lines. And be sure to screw the clamps on incredibly tight lol. :shocker:

Right now for me it's either spliced lines or no front brakes.

Heres a pic of the setup

·
Registered
299 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention about it, the rod has special tips on the ends, like a dick, that keeps them from busting out the lines when you clamp below the ends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts