Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^Hello all and A wonderful day to you. I need some help. I am looking up custom brake rotors for my Bike and to get them to fit my Bolt PCD and have the right offset it will be around 500€, $565. So i was thinking just taking a stock disc from another bike and hav e an adapter made to fit my hub. can anyone help me out? to make it worth it the machining would have to be less than the discs. any machinists able to do something like this? thanks in advance!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've adapted discs on to hub they were never intended for a few times now(three times on my '78 build). So far, all is good. If your adapter is merely spacing the rotor out than that is extremely easy. If your hub and your disc have two different mounting patterns, then sometimes the holes will overlap making it difficult or impossible.

I'm in the US, so shipping to you could be expensive, but I could definitely help you if needed.

Do you have any solid numbers to work off of yet?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Suzuki tl/srad brakes - 2004 Harley sportster narrow hub. 7.5mm offset. Suzi has 91mm pcd with 5 bolts M10 Harley has 3.25" (82.65mm) 5 bolts 5/16" I think, I'm not too sure but it's close to 8mm. Only problem is thats not enough meat for the m10 screws to tighten properly. $565 is pretty high but still probably my best option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
SRAD/ TL pcd same a GSXR? Use a GSXR zero offset disc?I'm basing this ide off a GSXR rotor I fitted one time. It will make the adapter thicker allowing for material to thread in to. Im pretty sure no rotors use M10 bolts. Thats massive. They probably use a special bolt like most do with a large locating shoulder.

Since both use 5 bolts thats an easy one as long as the registers dont overlap too bad. Wish I had the parts in my hand, but since the hub register is so much smaller than your rotor register, and your both your pieces use 5 bolts, this adapter would be cake. Probably looking at 2 -3 hours max build time with all parts in hand.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would then have to look original enough that you couldn't see it. Our inspection here is hell and if it's not original or tested and approved to be added they won't allow it. I am importing this bike as moving goods so that helps a lot and I can get away with it for the first inspection.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
What rotor diameter do you need or does it matter? If OD doesn't matter, look at Yamaha rotors. They are around 300mm OD but the PCD is bigger than most other OEM patterns. Gives you more room to keep the bolts spread out.

Later, Doug

G

·
From memory late TL, busa & Srad discs are flat, no or little offset, bolts are M8 with a shoulder making the holes in the disc & the locating hole before the thread just under 10mm, I would guess gixer 1000 & alike are also flat discs with no offset but I don't know about the dia or PCD

Bandit 1200 or slingshot gsxr are from memory offset at around what you need with the same PCD & fitting but 2mm difference in the offset & they could get you close

Please check the actual parts before buying because as I said its all from memory
I hope it helps

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The offset from most discs is too much. I only need 7.5mm offset between the mounting surface where most have more. And I need 320mm rotors. The the fork swap matrix I posted also shows pcd, offset, and inner and outer diameter but only for after 1996, and not the older ones. We may have some in stock for measuring. But I know with the offset discs on the older rims the brake disc surface is the same disc width as the srad/tl/busa with flat discs. I'll look up some rotors and I'll get back to you on that.

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
I have gone through the Metal Gear Brake Disk Catalog and Harley's seem to be unique in that they and they alone use their bolt pattern and their disks. (Seems every Harley has the same crappy brakes...)

Is there not a different hub that you could work with that allowed more options that looks like OEM versus attempting to hide the adapter?

Have you considered getting a floating rotor, removing the buttons and getting a rotor center cut out of aluminium into the HD pattern and installing it with new buttons? (We used this process on our little race car and it seems to hold up to 2G braking for several years of abuse.)

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good idea. The only hubs I could find that accept 25mm axles for this type of thing cost more than three times what I payed. And it is a Harley lol. All other companies that offer custom brakes for Harley cost at least $200 more than isr. I really wish I could find something cheaper but I have already shelled out $250 for this wheel. And crappy Harley has 40 spokes and all the others except triumph have 36

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Cool. The thing I like about the harley hub is the dual disc. I didn't find any other hubs I could use with dual disc that were affordable. I will keep all this info for sure when my next one comes around. Suzi tl1000, she'll get spokes too.

The 69-78 CB750 hub has 8mm rotor mounting bolt holes that extend all the way through the hub, so dual discs just mean a little longer bolt.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts