Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Breaking my head,need advice : NOISES (vids posted!)** UPDATE!

UPDATE: problem 1 and 3 and are correlated. Apparently, something (probably stuck carb float, or bad fuel petcock) caused fuel to overflow into the airbox and cylinders. I have sense pulled carbs out and cleaned thoroughly, and ordered new fuel petcock, since my lever on the petcock was snapped off anyways.
currently in process of oil/filter change as fuel has mixed in with oil.

I am not a mechanic.. just some noob who bought his first bike, a stock bandit, and fucked around with it by modding it in my little garage and asking for help here...I've learned a lot, but I'm far from diagnosing issues. so please spare me the flame.

I rode the bike yesterday, with no real issue at all... aside a minor problem with starter...stuck&BANG, then everything was peachy. I pulled it in garage to inspect wtf is going on...here ya go... found 3 issues

Problem #1

first issues: Ignition.

1. The bike (although rarely) sounds like it struggles to turn on... I press the starter button and I hear the electrical starter motor function... but cant turn... I keep trying and BANG! (everything stops) sounds like metal on metal.... i freak out... roll the bike around a bit, switch through gears and try again, and it works like a charm...and i have no problems with starting it thereafter.

now, it just wont bang. It wont do anything but fail to turn on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iBUshFKa4

I inspect all the battery cables, remove them, and clean them up...still nothing. It wont turn, but now I notice "clicking" like a dead battery.

So, I inspect the battery... I hook it up to a multimeter and it read 11.XX....while its connected I try to start the bike, and while its trying to turn, the battery reads 3.XX, then back up to 11.XX when I stop.

to me, sounds like fucked battery? would this explain the BANG! when i try to start it?
Going to jump start it tomorrow , and use a multimeter to see if the battery is charging...any other advice?

PROBLEM 2... one that REALLY scares me. (maybe not, it could be just my head)

As my bike was on a rear stand.. with the rear wheel off the ground...i fiddled with the wheel back and forth...aside from a dry sounding chain ( just lubed it wtf....).. i noticed some "play"

the play happens when I am in gear....and as I HOLD the clutch lever in, and move the wheel just a bit back and forth... i hear rattle... almost like theres "play" then it engages and sounds dry... maybe like teeth on a sprocket missing? i dunno, im not a mech...

It just doesnt sound right to me at all...I have no prior experience with bikes, nor a bike I can compare the noise to at the moment.

the first 22 seconds of the video, is me just moving the wheel back and forth with clutch pulled in and in gear....sounds fucked up.:doh: wtf is the loose, rattle,clinking sound.... with PLAY? is the play normal? is this just a dray chain?..cant be

The bike was running fine yesterday!... i must have not noticed this while riding. I only have the bike in my garage and pulled apart so diagnose the original problem #1...now I have 3.

Problem # 3

and lastly.... I have a fucking fuel leak (again!), but doesnt seem to be the carb bowl seals.... i think its the petcock. Are those aftermarket ones for 35$ on ebay any good? seems too cheap to me but I cant find others. IT ONLY LEAKS WHILE ITS LEANED ON ITS STAND... no leaking when upright.

I know this was lengthy,and I understand its impossible to diagnose without hands on.. but maybe someone has some ideas on what to look for, first... before I start to fuck heavily with something that maybe isnt that big of a deal

cliffs:
-3 new problems
-starter issues
-rattling,play, loose noises when moving rear wheel
-some leak ( havent had time to really inspect. )
-posted 3 vids

the bike motor is stock 2002 with roughly 7k miles... chain, swingarm, front end, etc and that lot has been modded

·
Registered
97 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad battery because it drops that much. Also i would think that sound is normal because since you have it in gear you are still moving the gears even with the clutch pulled in. I don't have much advice on the leak except that if it is the petcock it will probably just need a gasket and not the whole thing replaced.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you have a bad battery because it drops that much. Also i would think that sound is normal because since you have it in gear you are still moving the gears even with the clutch pulled in. I don't have much advice on the leak except that if it is the petcock it will probably just need a gasket and not the whole thing replaced.
well, shit I feel tons better.... the noise was making me paranoid. Ill post better videos of my moving the wheel. when i get off work in a few hours. My friend claims his zx6r makes no such clunky noise

maybe im just having a bad day with the battery issue that Im convincing myself the chain noise is not good. lol.... i need to get off work to inspect

G

·
I think theres a few couple of issues here so i'll try to out them in order of importance for you

#1 you mention a fuel leak, i think the fuel tap diaphram is shot or you have it on prime & the carb floats are incorrectly set & you are getting bore wash IE fuel leaking down into the cylinders causing hydraulic lock
This could be the reason the bike will not turn over at first & explain the bang when it does, unburnt fuel is being ignited in the exhaust, check the oil level & smell the oil if it smells of fuel this is part of your problem & if it is fuel igniting in the crankcases effectively makes the engine a small bomb which will really screw it up

#2 Chain noise sounds like either the front sprocket has lost some teeth or is loose or the output shaft bearing is shot, get the sprocket cover off & check for missing or damaged teeth, movement in the sprocket top to bottom, a loose nut (common) or movement in the output shaft which will normally make the seal piss oil & should be obvious

Hope it helps

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope it helps

hell yes.... awesome response. I will do everything you said and report back with findings today.

I encourage anyone to just shed any experience or ideas.

This winter I want to overhaul the entire motor, and learn that way... but dammit for now it needs to be reliable until winter!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#1 you mention a fuel leak, i think the fuel tap diaphram is shot or you have it on prime & the carb floats are incorrectly set & you are getting bore wash IE fuel leaking down into the cylinders causing hydraulic lock
This could be the reason the bike will not turn over at first & explain the bang when it does, unburnt fuel is being ignited in the exhaust, check the oil level & smell the oil if it smells of fuel this is part of your problem & if it is fuel igniting in the crankcases effectively makes the engine a small bomb which will really screw it up
Holy shit this must be the case... as soon as I got home I noticed gas on the floor under the bike.... the bike was not on its stand, but isntead was on a rear swingarm stand....

I looked and there was just gas everywhere...strangely on the airbox...I decided there was no way I was going to sleep without at least trying ot find the source of leak....i removed the tank, and the underside/petcock was dry....i then removed the airfilter cover... holy shit... CUPS of gas poured out (theres still gas in the airbox!

here is video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRvYcVs7Elc&list=UUuL0eIb--nPGRT0BWlfFIzg

now... what should I do? :doh::doh::doh:

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Buy a new petcock.... Or make sure it's not on "prime" like 4cups said.

Is that clunking trans in every gear? Where you just playing with the wheel in first?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy a new petcock.... Or make sure it's not on "prime" like 4cups said.

Is that clunking trans in every gear? Where you just playing with the wheel in first?
was just playing with the wheel in first... give me 5 min and ill take a better video.
here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewi6iJp3N8s&list=UUuL0eIb--nPGRT0BWlfFIzg&index=1

this is 1rst gear.... and I at 8 seconds into the video, I hold the clutch down, and just fiddle with the wheel. My concern is if the noise is okay? I have never compared this to any bike- it just sounds loud and clanky... it could be ok.., or this could be like OMG something internal!

bike was riding fine... i never even noticed this noise until i got it in my head that it was not normal after trying to figure out why my bike wasnt turning over ( a whole different issue)

FUEL TAP DIAGRAM, as 4CUPS mentioned... is that just parts to the petcock? thus, you saying replace the whole petcock as a solution?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CONTINUING ONTO THE ORIGINAL ISSUE, PROBLEM #1 ( which now answers the problem to PROBLEM #3 )

I pulled the airbox (what a PITA- almost forgot)...got the gas out of it... and removed the carbs... they are only attached now by the throttle cables and hanging on the side of the bike.... they will deff need resynced after this , right?

there is where I am.... gas fills the openings of the engine that are carb 1 and 2.

·
Slow Ass Mutherfucker
385 Posts
#2 Chain noise sounds like either the front sprocket has lost some teeth or is loose or the output shaft bearing is shot, get the sprocket cover off & check for missing or damaged teeth, movement in the sprocket top to bottom, a loose nut (common) or movement in the output shaft which will normally make the seal piss oil & should be obvious
I agree with the above. Double check everything to make sure. However, that sound is likely just the drive system coming to a stop as you try and turn the motor with the wheel (via the chain). Every bike I've had makes that noise while in gear and fiddling with rear wheel. But, can't hurt to double check.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay... trying to be proactive here, going to finish my coffee and mess with the bike.

what I plan on doing.

1. Removing spark plugs and covering them so they dont come in contact with anything.
2. Tank and carbs are off the bike, but will I will go ahead and reconnect the battery.
3. I will try to start the bike. this will spit out any gas inside the motor openings for carb 1 and 2? correct.... then i guess I can take apart the carbs, and check floats. (should i get rebuild kit for carb 1 and 2? those are the ones the flooded the motor.

might as well get a new petcock too? or not yet? advice people!:thumbsup:

i honestly dont know what I would do without the members on this site helping me.

G

·
now... what should I do?
Take your time mate thats the most important thing now or you might have to do all of what follows more than once & thats really no fun

#1 DO NOT turn the bike over as it is, take the plugs out & leave them out

#2 Take your carbs off & put them to one side, you will need to strip, clean & reset them later

#3 check your petrol tap by sucking on the (small) vacum pipe the fuel should flow & stop as soon as you stop sucking, if it does not you need to rebuild or replace it

#4 Check your oil level & if it smells of fuel you will need to do an oil & filter change,

Now its carb strip & rebuild time, if you are not experianced with carbs we can advise but its better to get some hands on help

let us know how you get on

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take your time mate thats the most important thing now or you might have to do all of what follows more than once & thats really no fun

#1 DO NOT turn the bike over as it is, take the plugs out & leave them out
how do i remove the gas that's flooding cylinder 1 & 2 if I cant try to turn motor to have it spit out? let it evaporate? wont that cause varnish/grime or something?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

this is bowl # 1, supposedly one of the ones with the "sticking float".. im guessing carbs 1 and 2, since those are the ones in the motor that flooded the clinders

......looks clean to me.... how to i check for a sticking float? I held up the carbs and pressed the float and it goes up and falls down the gravity easily

this is how they react when tap on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5E7mDqT7A

should I pull the pin out and remove float?

edit: did anyways... it all seems pretty clean to me..

followed a detailed carb overhail video... carbs are spotless.... now I still need to figure out how to remove gas from the cyclinders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts