Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, glad to finally be able to post on here and get some active advice about how to actively improve my ZX7.

This bike has been my project for the last year or so, while I was finishing up college and I would love to share it with this community. Quite some time ago I was cruising craigslist and stumbled upon a beat up old 1993 ZX7. The ad said it had sat in garage for 7 years, the tank had rusted through and they didn't even know if it ran. I met with the guy and after checking that the engine turned over, bought the bike for $300, title in hand. She was in pretty rough shape...

So i proceeded to strip the bike down to the frame, cleaned what i could, scraped some pieces from where the bike had been laid over and bought replacement pieces off ebay. This included a tank, rear cowls, carbs, and valves. After a couple months of work I finally got her running (Carbs were a B****) i then covered the fairings in a glossy bed liner spray to cover the scratches. I rode her at this stage for about 5 months.

So recently I decided that since I only have $800 into the bike, i would rather not buy new fairings, plus streetfighters look super awesome. So I bought some cheap ebay headlights, mounted some 55 watt lamps on it, and bar end mirrors. I must say she looks pretty dang tough! It still has a lot of work to go (Including ditching the big blinkers, redo the seats, and painting the engine black)

So thats the Cheap, College Student edition Streetfighter project I have been working on. I would appreciate any suggestions for how to make this thing look as badass as possible. Currently I am looking for some really nice front turn signals, if anyone knows of where to find some, let me know. Thanks for checking it out.

-Brickslayer

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
Looks good to me, but I think a 7" round headlight woud look great on there and ya wouldn't need the the 2 driving lights, also knocking about 8" of the exhaust would look good to.

Reactions: oldrider and ROBBO

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
Very nice on the exhaust.

Reactions: ROBBO and oldrider

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
welcome, I have used a small fog light for dip beam, and a small spot light for main beam, have you thought about some dirt bars, plenty of threads on how to mount them.
If you want to keep the clip ons then the 7" headlight would look good.
the colour looks good.

·
OvertheTopUndertheRadar
275 Posts
Good job on the budget/been there bro, Keep thinkin' "do I really need this? " and if you do "how you can make it smaller and stronger". Peace and welcome. Phaedrus:skully:

Reactions: oldrider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
welcome, I have used a small fog light for dip beam, and a small spot light for main beam, have you thought about some dirt bars, plenty of threads on how to mount them.
If you want to keep the clip ons then the 7" headlight would look good.
the colour looks good.
Dirt bars are a must, been slowly researching the topic and figuring out the best way to do it. I have a few old moto bars laying around. I would like to just drill some risers into the existing triples, but i have read a few places that said it is a bad idea. Personally i think they will be fine structurally just drilled into the triple clamps. Anyone's opinions on this? Not sure what cables i would have to extend either.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
top yokes are not designed to take the load from risers as this load was taken on the forks so you need to brace the yokes with some plate underneath them.
The only thing you may need to lengthen is the brake hoses.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF!! HOT, HOT bike!! LOVE it!

Shortening your exhaust definately brought it into 'fighterdom'! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally decided I would make short update. I got rid of the hideous giant blinkers, and put some leds on there. The rims now have a fresh coat of flat black paint, with some orange rim stripes coming in tomorrow. Im also planning on painting tbe calipers orange. Lastly Dirt bars are coming this weekend for installation. More pics will follow after.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looking good, man. I'm diggin the orange and black. My favorite part is the $800 you paid to get a sweet looking ride. Nice find.

For the dirt bars you can flip the top tree upside down and fill in the thin areas with JB Weld. Then drill holes for risers that way. It'll beef up the tree for ya. I'd use some thick washers on the under side as well, which your risers may or may not already have included.

Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts