Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got to reading a little bit about the 1125's and then wound up on Eric Buell Racing and saw a bunch of cool stuff on there. Then I came across the specs of the 1190RR and really got to thinking. So a quick look on ebay shows an avaerage price for an 08 1125R at a very reasonable $5000.

So now I'm thinking, 140hp, 80lbs/ft and low 400lbs dry weight in a very cool chassis with awesome brakes. I think I may have just found a replacment for my longing of my beloved TLR.

I've riden both XB9 and 12. The handeling was great, but I wasn't impressed with the power delivery.

So who's had a chance to put some miles on the rotax powered beast and what did you think?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Chandler and dr.awkward both have either the 1125r or the 1125cr

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
I rode a pre-production prototype for a 20 minute session on track, I thought it was pretty good.

Good power
Good handling
Good ergos

The bad...
I have big feet and my right big toe was against the crankcase the entire time, it got hot... and despite 3 counterbalancers, my hands were almost numb after 20min. But, that was 20 fast minutes!

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read a few test write ups and the hot foot syndrome seemed to be pretty evident. Either from the exhaust or the venting of hot air off the radiators. I have big feet too, so I'd proably have that same problem.

My only hangup is the rad shrouds, but If I can make it work on a VTR, this shouldn't be too much different.

·
826 Posts
You might still be able to find a new one for not too much more than that, they're getting scarce though.
http://www.buell.com/en_us/tools/find-a-bike/state-inventory.asp?statefilter=GA

A month or two ago when I found out there were still some XB9s around I finally decided to go for it and buy one, but after I called around all over PA, WV, and Ohio for a couple days I couldn't find any more of them for the great $4000 price everyone used to talk about, and I wasn't looking to spend $6500 on another bike. Still kicking myself for not having any money when they first announced they were closing up.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything but good things about the 1125s. They don't do it for me like the XB does, but they're still great bikes.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I think it's going to be a hard find at a dealer. I went by the local HD/ Buell dealer a few weeks ago. All they had was a bunch of Blasts left over from their riding class fleet. They were pretty rough too, lol.

I'm not looking to buy anything right now, but I'm going to keep my options open for later this year. See if one pops up at the right time.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
i paid 6 for mine new and it was worth every penny. my xb12s handles awesome and the cr is equal. the cr puts the xb to shame in power. a tl has no comparison. but i kept my xb because the engine gives it so much more character with that low harley thump. i wish my cr sounded like my xb. and i dont think ive said it before because i go through 2 or 3 bikes a year but im never getting rid of these two. thier bad ass.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I say get one.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Scrap,

My 1125R is the quickest bike I've ever been on. Not the fastest (top speed) but the quickest.

Got it for $5675 OTD about three weeks after HD shut down Buell. I'll likely never sell it. I have 1700 miles on it right now and about 150 of those miles were on the track (going back on the track again on the 27th). Handled beautifully and was plenty fast. The power delivery is obviously unlike a typical 4 cyl sportbike. There isn't really a power band per se...it's just there...hard to describe. And the front brakes are just as good as any dual set up (best brakes I've ever used) and are less than half the weight. I'd recommend this bike to literally anyone that can handle its little quarks...and the retarded acceleration.

Like Chandler said, there's no replacing an Xb, or in my case my tuber M2. I wish the 1125R sounded like my M2...haha. I plan on building an exhaust for my 1125 as soon as I get some extra throw away cash but there are plenty options out there for the bike.

I say get one. Make sure it still has a warranty and pull the trigger. You WILL be happy you did.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
I dunno Dr, I wasn't that impressed with the brakes. I got on that after riding my F4i in the previous session(fresh fluid/stainless lines/stock pads), then back to my bike after the 1125R session, and the CBR brakes felt like they had the same initial bite with less fade and better modulation.

The motor does pull really well straight to redline(10k?) - I remember bouncing off the limiter a few times on the first couple laps, because I was used to almost 14k limit on the CBR.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good info guys, thanks. I miss the power of a sport twin. For regular street riding, I love it. The Rotax motor just seems to have all the checks in the right boxes for me.

The styling is a little wierd, but I will say it looks pretty good with FF's. Not that I'd keep it like that, but there's still tons of potential I see for these bikes.

I'm deffinatly going to have to bust ass this summer and put some cash aside. If I'm lucky, maybe I can pull a new winter project for this year :D

·
826 Posts
I feel like an 1125r might look better if you put a firebolt fairing on it. I've gotten used to the side covers but I just can't get over the massive size of that r fairing. I hated the cr when it first came out, but I've warmed up to it. If I had one I'd definitely try to put a front radiator and an xbs tail on it.

An XB is still at the top of my list for bikes I'd like to pick up later this year. I'll see how it goes. I'm a little worried about the reliability and ease of picking up used parts, but otherwise I think it's the perfect bike for how I ride, and I've gotta say the sound of an I4 has kind worn off on me. I'm not as crazy about the sound of higher revving vtwins either, I think the XBs sound great though. I wouldn't mind an S1 either, I love the short tails.

If I find one, I will definitely NEVER sell it.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I get me hands on one, I got some ideas for it. I was looking at the Magpul Ronin last night and that thing just looks wicked. Looking at pics, I don't think there's room enough to do a front mount rad. If the front wheel doesn't hit at full bump, it would probably get in the way of turning radius. If you can get the front head pipe out of the way enough, there may be enough room to move the oil cooler up and put a rad in it's place, but it would be super close to the wheel. And then you'll probably need some sort of shroud like they did on the Vrod. The other option is tuck it under the seat with a pair of fans.

That would be my first issue of work on that bike before anything else.

·
30 Posts
i had a xb9r firebolt(stolen-would have never sold it) currently have a TL1000s and recently had the chance to take a spin on my mate's 1125 racebike. i'm currently trying to sell my kidney so i can afford a 1125!!!!!
No really, my TL doesn't compare.

It's really competitive as well on the track, my mate mixes it up with I4 1000's and 2 1198 duc's in our local race series here in South Africa.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts