Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I've been lookin at newer bikes for a while now and I've found allot I like. but I stopped in and took a closer look at a buell the other day and I love the looks. now I have that feeling like I absolutly NEED one. I was planning on getting a newer bike this spring anyways and I wanna keep it closer to 6000 bucks if I can. which means I would have to find a good deal on a buell thats a couple years old, but I can get allot of Jap bike for 6000 bucks. now keep in mind that all this could go to shit if I ride one and don't like it.

I love the twisties, but I do end up with allot of highway miles due to my comute. I don't really stunt much, but then there is nothin wrong with a good wheelie or stoppie every once in a while.

so what do you guys think? first hand experience? likey/no likey?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
wish i could tell you from experience.

from what ive heard...dont consider any model but the xb12.

as far as looks go, im sold.
and the technology on them, sold!

yet to ride one tho :wtf:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah forgot to mention. I like v-twins, so when it comes to a new bike the sv-1000, duc monster, and other sporty twins are the front runners.

maybe if I could get a Buell and put a real motor in it instead of a hopped up harley powerplant then I might be onto something. LOL.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have ridden (thrashed) an XB12R, XB12S and an XB9S.

IMHO don't even bother touching the 9. They're incredibly gutless and the fuelling is shit.

The 12's are awesome and you'll love them. The seating position on the S is abit weird and takes a little getting used to. it feels like you're sitting on the tank. It's a true hooligan's toy and you can't help but wheelie and stoppie everywhere. The only complaint I had about the R is the seat is fucken firm and would suck over long distance. Otherwise it loves corners and sounds and looks like sex.

Fuel range is pretty sad and personally I reckon they could do with a 6th gear. Don't drop them cause the frame is easily damaged. Make sure you get one with the race kit. Probably the most fun bikes I've ever ridden.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
2much said:
Fuel range is pretty sad and personally I reckon they could do with a 6th gear.
Hmm, I've definitely heard that before...
For like $2300 Baker makes a 6-speed for Buells...

Also, I know that Harley has a few bikes with 6-speeds coming out this year, so maybe Buell won't be too far behind.

Don't drop them cause the frame is easily damaged.
And don't forget, frame repairs are VERY costly on a Buell, becuase they are also the "gas tank"

The other things is, in pretty much ANY type of crash, you will hit the frame on a Buell... they do offer "Frame Pucks" :
Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust
But they guard more against cosmetic damage, like sliding on the frame, as opposed to protecting against large hits. I read a review somewhere where they really tested the hell out of them and had guys crashing at over 80 mph and having NO frame damage as a result of the pucks, so it's definitely a worthwhile investment imo.

The Buell swingarms and front forks get scratched up pretty bad in a crash, and since the swingarm holds the oil, you don't really want that getting messed. But... http://www.darkhorsemoto.com/ has sliders for both that are nice looking, not really even noticable, and do a great job protecting against damage.

Also worth mentioning, is the break-away triple tree. It's designed to snap off in a crash to protect the frame/fuel tank.

The Buell is a technological marvel, no doubt. It's extremely creative and intuitive, and revolutionary... however...

Some of the same things that make it such a marvel on the road, are the same things that can cause huge problems for you in a crash. If you are someone who crashes a lot :squid: Then you may want to get something else...

If you do get a Buell, spend a couple extra bucks and get the frame pucks, swingarm and front fork sliders just in case!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
does anyone make a crashcage for them??

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
i like how they show a picture of a gixxer..and advertise a buell cage. cuz im sure it looks the same! :nuts: :squid:

Buell XB12 XB9
BLACK

Attachments

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try this

Attachments

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
that looks phat! works with the shape of the bike.

also notice he has the frame slider/pucks on it also. :D

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the more I look at the buells the more I need one. and if/when I get one there will definatly be a cage/pucks/sliders on it. besides the functionality of it it just looks so damn cool

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
:metal:

can i ride it?! :D

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
fslflint said:
the more I look at the buells the more I need one. and if/when I get one there will definatly be a cage/pucks/sliders on it. besides the functionality of it it just looks so damn cool
Yea, I agree... some bikes look funny with their protective gear, like sliders and cages etc., but the pucks and sliders for Buells actually look pretty badass!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey guys, is it possible to change the gearing (sprockets/pulleys whatever thay're fucken called) on a buell?

Was having a couple of beers with a mate who owns a mint XB12R about it. Apparently the idler gear isn't adjustable for the tension on the belt so how is it done?

Also, does anyone have the gear ratios?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
calling ARTIC ATTACK calling ARTIC ATTACK, are you reading??

those guys all have buells, and i've seen a few set up for parkin lot stunting so they must be able to be changed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've seen on other forums you can definitely change the gearing just like a chain/sprocket driven bike. I know that the 12's are supposed to be awesome stunt bikes. Team Xtreme or somebody was sponsored by buell. They said they didn't have to make any changes and they'd be rockin those things.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I stopped at the buell dealership today. they only had a few, a ulyssis, 2 blasts, an xb12r and an xb9sx (city cross). the xb12r was nice but the city cross was sweet as hell. I'm seriously considering an an XB9s or xb9sx with the factory race kit on it, but an xb12s would be ideal. I'm goin back next week to take the city cross and the xb12r out for test rides. you gotta remember that if I get a buell I'll be going to that from an ancient fz-700. so its kinda hard to get a bike thats gonna feel underpowered for me.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
fslflint said:
an xb12s would be ideal.
if you want the 12s...why are you going to test out the other two models??
:LolLolLolLol:
tell em you want the 12s there! they should get you one, no prob.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
becuase I wanna know what the xb9 feals like compared to the xb12. kinda get some perspective. the 9s are cheaper, cheaper to insure and I liked the feel of the cityx better than that of the xb12r, but thats just sitting in the showroom (it was raining otherwise I would have tested them today).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts