Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINISHED - Buell Rear End Chop

Hey guys. The girl's out of town from today until Saturday or Sunday so I got a lot of spare time to DO WORK! I'm finally going to clean the rear subframe on the Buell up. I'm still unsure as to what kind of rear sub I want to do but there are almost unlimited options. Opinions are welcomed and encouraged since I'm very unsure as what to do. Some thoughts:

- Floating style sub with a seperate round oil tank below.

- Full sub with oil tank integrated into it (much more work, but it fits with E. Buell's ideology)

- Some how fit an XB swinger on and do whatever with the seat and use the swinger as the oil tank obviously (definitely the hardest of the three because of the existing shock mount...not sure if the bike is unstable without it)

Pics -

Before:

After the cut:

Cleaned up (all pretty standard shit, but I figured I'd document it):

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
I like the idea of option 2. Make the oil tank into the subframe.

Are you wanting to keep it Bobber and use the seat pan you got currently, or do have an idea for a tail?

I think the XB swingarm is going to require making new suspension mounts, since you have the Dyna style pull shock under the bike. From what I understand is probably an upgrade for the tube frames. The stock shocks weren't all that great to begine with. I'm woundering if the oil pump will work with the XB arm also? Since the oil bag would be lower then the motor.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of option 2. Make the oil tank into the subframe.

Are you wanting to keep it Bobber and use the seat pan you got currently, or do have an idea for a tail?

I think the XB swingarm is going to require making new suspension mounts, since you have the Dyna style pull shock under the bike. From what I understand is probably an upgrade for the tube frames. The stock shocks weren't all that great to begine with. I'm woundering if the oil pump will work with the XB arm also? Since the oil bag would be lower then the motor.
Ya...good fucking look. I never thought of the oil pump being a potential problem. I'm pretty much going to scrap the XB idea, although having a single shock under the seat would be pretty cool looking.

I am definitely wanting to keep the bobber look. I probably won't use the current seat pan though. One of my plans was to use 1" bar and make a "frame" of a seat pan and string up some leather in between in. I saw it in "Art of the Chopper II" and thought it was fucking sick...but I'm still unsure of that. If I do use the seat pan I'm undoubtedly going to have to cut it a little. If that's the way I go, the oil tank is definitely going in the sub.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the seat is more like a hamock instead of having foam under the leather? That's interesting.
Ya, I'll try to take a pic of the picture in the book. It's pretty rad looking. I just feel bad stealing the guy's idea, but just about everything has been done, hahah.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,621 Posts
def #2 or #3...sounds like at this point you'll be going with 2.

doesn't sound like your stealing ideas...your making it your own...totally different application right?!

·
DUSTOFF
476 Posts
I'm woundering if the oil pump will work with the XB arm also? Since the oil bag would be lower then the motor.
Hey Scraps, isn't one of the advantages of a dry sump system the flexibility on oil tank location? I haven't messed with these systems much on two wheel machines but I thought you just needed a scavenge and pressure pump with enough oil in the system and away you go?

Either way DrAwKward looking forward to seeing which way you go. I've always really disliked the "looks" of the XB swingarms from the left side, and I own one. It bugs me everytime I look at it, but it works well.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oil in the subframe raises the center of gravity. not buell theory there.
If you look at the before picture of my bike you'll notice that the oil tank (the plastic thing under my seat) is essentially in the subframe. For being Eric Buell's original design, he must suck at Buell theory. I was talking about that fact that the subframe would be doing two jobs now...holding my ass, and holding the oil. That, creating a part that will do more than one thing to benefit the bike and cut down on cluttered mess, is Buell theory.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Hey Scraps, isn't one of the advantages of a dry sump system the flexibility on oil tank location? I haven't messed with these systems much on two wheel machines but I thought you just needed a scavenge and pressure pump with enough oil in the system and away you go?

Either way DrAwKward looking forward to seeing which way you go. I've always really disliked the "looks" of the XB swingarms from the left side, and I own one. It bugs me everytime I look at it, but it works well.
I think you're right as far as an auto app goes. I'm not sure if they have a scavange pump in the HD motors though. I belive it may be a gravity feed system with just a pressure side. I could be wrong though.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a lot of work tonight on the sub. However, I came to the realization that doing the oil tank inside of the subframe was going to be way over my head, and that I would have had to cut out my existing battery box, drop my motor, take off my swinger and send my frame to be tig welded and pressure checked if I wanted it done the way I had envisioned. So, maybe in the future on another M2 I can do it, but for now it's just an idea. It makes me feel like I'm copping out on it and that sucks, but I think I know my limitations enough to hold off on it.

On the bright side of things, I bought a band saw today. So that's a nice addition to the garage. It's one of the ones on a hinge that has gravity to all the cutting. I used it a fucking lot tonight so I'm thinking it was a good buy.

I'll take some pics tomorrow to let you all know how it's going.

:knucks:

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sub's on the bike. I have to finish welding underneath, put some 1.5" to 2" gussets in and then hit it all with a flap disc, sand it and it should be finished. I had to weld that damn seat pan to the inch pipe like 3 times all the way around to get it to look rolled like that. What a pain in the ass it was to grind that mother fucker. I had to stop the other night cause I couldn't hold the damn grinder anymore. I probably have about 15 hours into that stupid fucker.

Now the problem is finding a ~2 quart oil tank that will look good. That's been a real bitch so far. Anyone out there know of a good place to look, or possibly have something themselves?

New bandsaw ftw.

·
est.1979
858 Posts
I like the work you did on the seat, looks great!

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks gentlemen.

I'm really stressing about the fucking oil tank though. I've searched all over the nets and haven't found too much to my liking. I'm thinking I may have to just make one...which I really don't want to do with a MIG. We shall see.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts