Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got this bike last year
previous owner had replaces wiring harness after fuse block burned out or some shit like that

anyways he never got the bike running again he said after swap he had no spark
and left it apart for couple yrs under tarp

i pulled it in shop after sitting all winter and started tearing it down

first i want to make it run and than start to fighter it
its in pretty sad state right now but has potential

hopefully the motor isn't seized
also i got turbo out of Saab maybe i could make it work
but that's pipe dream as of now

in my new shop

im thinking this is the problem why it got no spark

·
Registered
334 Posts
nice project. Im a buell owner and big fan. Will have to keep an eye on this build.

just to put this out there... i have a v-rod headlight with custom billet mounts for this bike for sale in the classifieds
Would look perfect on a XB fighter

Reactions: n0regret5

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Can you do me a favor and measure the width of the front wheel at the axle? And the fork tube diameter?
I'm developing some terrible ideas here...

·
Registered
334 Posts
im guessing thats an 04... and if so, the fork tubes are 54mm upper and lower... if its an 05+ the forks are 54mm upper, 56mm lower.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Nice to see some more Buells around. Looks like this particular one has seen better days.

If it is an 04 then you'll have a headstart on the turbo gig ;)

For starters, build yourself a caom cable and download ecmspy. Or grab a a bluetooth dongle and get the ecmdroid app. You can specifically diagnose most electrical issues and some fueling issues that way. It will point you in the right direction if you get yourself stuck.

http://xoptiinside.com/

http://ecmspy.com/

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did bit of fooking around this weekend

and figured out that bike has some ground distribution issues
with my test light connected to POS+ I only have light to come on on black wire going to starter
if I touch any frame area or big ground cable under the airbox light stay off

so as of now I cant do much bc motor wont spin over

im gonna try to run new ground cable from batt to starter >coil >front headlights/ECU
and go from there

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I uninstalled the fuel controller thinking it was the cause of no spark
still no change

I did get some trouble codes-
o2 sensor
Intake air temperature sensor
Interactive muffler control
Front fuel injector
Rear fuel injector
Cooling fan

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the bike started

I ran new ground cable directly from battery to coil and the ground strap under the airbox
bike gets ground from battery to sub frame and subframe to frame so I took the sub off and cleaned where it bolts together
cleaned under the ground strap
now I have good ground and bike will turn over but still no spark

so im checking out the old wiring harness and I see there's 2 exact same connectors behind the sprocket cover

one is CPS and other one VSS (I think that what those are - triangle connectors )
they were connected wrong
once I swap them over, bike started instantly on 1 cylinder, I had front plug out to test if it spark

than I had to leave
so this is where I left off

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Heck yea dude, glad to hear it runs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice to see some more Buells around. Looks like this particular one has seen better days.

If it is an 04 then you'll have a headstart on the turbo gig ;)

For starters, build yourself a caom cable and download ecmspy. Or grab a a bluetooth dongle and get the ecmdroid app. You can specifically diagnose most electrical issues and some fueling issues that way. It will point you in the right direction if you get yourself stuck.

http://xoptiinside.com/

http://ecmspy.com/

I just figure out why you said 04 have headstart on turbo build

Update: Erik Buell comments on Buell Turbo History!

I sent an e-mail to Buell asking about turbo related history and didn't really expecting a response back, certainly not from the man himself but that's what I got!

It turns out the XB was originally intended to get a turbo! The hole in the frame was intended for what I used it for, compressor discharge ducting, kind of makes sense now. Read for yourself (this is the response I got back):

Dallas,

The passageway through the frame that you used for your turbo pipe was actually put in the frame for that reason. Although we kinda pointed an air scoop at it for the naturally aspirated bikes, actually the XB series was designed from the get-go for a turbo derivative. Had nothing to do with Germany, except as one of our many markets.

We were deep into turbo research and pre-production testing for turbo bikes and made it all the way through our full durability testing with two pre-prod bikes. However, the project was killed by H-D leadership. So after we knew it was dead and gone for good, we plugged up both sides of the hole and added fuel capacity back. I think that happened around 2005. We were not using the Garret, but a variable turbo with an ECU controlled boost level. 150+ RWHP and 120+ ft-lbs torque with full durability, emissions and noidse compliant. They were cool as hell.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
The mini cooper turbo is a pretty commonly used piece.

Aerocharger was the comissioned supplier back in the day for buell, but the deal fell through. They make HD specific turbos and could point you in the right direction for other options.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts