Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at buells awhile ago and thought they were pretty cool..... And then I talked to a couple friends who ride and I started hearing things like fancy sportster, just a Harley, there slow and lack top end power.

I also see people (mostly on here who love there buells) and I think I want to start a thread to see if the bad is true or to get Therese justice (at least in the eyes of this guy).

Ps... My girlfriend said she likes the deep vtwin grumble and I like street fighters.... Hence my renewed intrest in buells lol

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I strongly considered one. The engine is what turns me away. Even though I do kinda like the sound. My brain just tells me all that slapping and thumping noise a harley motor does is the sound of mechanical inferiority. I would be afraid to even try to ride it like I ride my inline 4s.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
They typically make 90-105 HP from the modified sportster engines. That's not at all bad in a bike under 400 lbs, and they do get on the torque earlier than most I4's. Its 50% more power than you get from an SV650, with the same weight, which has gotta be fun.

But yeah, compared to big sport bikes, its has less top end. Even EB wanted to get away from that engine because it held back racing efforts, and the later bikes that don't use HD mills all make more power.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Anyone who thinks a Buell is just another version of a sportster doesn't really know much about Buells. They're significantly different. In fact, it's like saying a Festiva and a Porsche are the same because they're both petrol based automobiles....

You won't be riding a Buell like an I4 because you can't. It's not an option because they are different.

Buells have a few benefits. One of them is torque. Off the line they can be a lot of fun, but you won't be revving nearly as high as you're used to with an I4. Now, where you live makes a difference on wether or not that's a benefit. If you live in a pretty congested area having torque down low makes a lot of sense.

That said, having that torque down low means you don't have it where a lot of us actually like it.... up top.

While you're blasting down the highway on your 1200 Lightning enjoying the day a kid on a GSXR600 will pull on you, pass you, and leave you behind no matter how hard you try.... because that 1200 is a totally gutless turd after about 100mph. They're not made for top end. But that's part of their design.

Where they shine is twisty roads. Given a highly skilled ridder in the saddle, it's pretty fucking hard to catch a Buell in turns on an I4 of any kind.

The efforts paid off big in the handlind department when Buell designed his bikes.

Maintenance wise they're not too bad. You have to stay on top of them and recognize and accept the differences with owning a big CC twin.

Personally I would never want to own a Buell as my main ride. I have a friend who has one and loves it, and that's all fine and dandy, but I prefer my oil boilers. The reason is simple: Most I4's with a good rider are capable of more than enough takeoff and oomph down low, but they give you the ability to have that power in the midrange and up top too, where the Buell chokes off way early.

Parts cost wise the Buell is more costly to maintain and parts could be getting harder to find. Last I checked Harley was planning on maintaining stock of most parts, but who knows what will happen.

(Not that getting all the parts for early to mid 90's sportbikes is a simple task either.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i live in Maine so there isn't a whole lot of straight stretches around here. the twist and turns are one of the reasons i like street fighters. but having something that's lacking the top end doesn't real interest me much. i do like vtwins like ducati 999r, ktm rc8, Suzuki sv's, and the honda rc51.

idk if i would turn down a buell at the right price but it would have to be a xb12s to wake it worth it for me.

·
Knows nothing....
2,132 Posts
I really don't have much to add. MPLS is dead on. For me, I don't remember the last time I was anywhere near 100mph. Top end power isn't a huge deal to me. I have been looking at Buells as of late. The engineering and designs of Buells are what attract me. It's coming down to if I want soemthing different, why not keep my heavy ass Speed Triple.

With all that being said, my dream bike is an EBR 1190SX. Unfortunately, they are not going to be around by the time I can afford one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My neighbor had an 1125r 2 years ago and I rode that around to see how they are. Sounded great ( had an aftermarket exhaust) and handled well. Felt decent light and the seating position was good. Wasn't as fast as my R1 but had more torque in lower rpm's. I didn't care much for the looks of it though, those huge air intakes on the side look fugly.
Have also met some guys locally with Buells and they loved them. One had a see through plastic tank, weird as shit but cool

·
Hot Sauce
210 Posts
I loved my 08 Uly but i simply could not take the electrical issues i was constantly having with it. I beat my brain against the wall tracing wires on that thing. Every time i got one issue sorted out it would be 2 more weeks an another would come up. It was always something, short here, short there. Today the speedo doesn`t work, tomorrow imma blow through headlight bulbs, next week it won`t start the week after that it wont stay charged. I replaced the regulator twice in one year FFS.

I was determined to keep it for the longest time because the bike itself was awesome to ride, really comfortable and well suited to my size. The low end was great for fooling around doing wheelies, which were always amusing to see from a bike with a full set of luggage. But the top end was REALLY lacking, an i knew this before i bought it but i didn`t know it was going to be THAT bad. But in the end constant little issues with the bike that kept me from being able to ride it reliably just took its toll, and once ERB went bankrupt i just said fuck it. What use is a bike i enjoy riding if i can never fucking ride it, so i got it running one last time and let it go.

I DO HOWEVER still have a love for v twins. I have a VTR an RVT now. Doing a fighter with the VTR, the RVT is my sporty lil go fast bike and i`m looking at possibly getting a TL and putting some bars and luggage on it.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
I've seen a guy on an old tube framed Buell blitz past our group, go 20+km ahead of us and spot a cop car, then burn back, pass the cop, and wave us all to slow down. Tight, twisty, technical, grin-factory terrain is where it excels. Anybody who says they're slow doesn't know how to corner.

And the guy who was riding that particular Buell also daily rode his 220hp 04 GSXR1000, including going for a 700km ride with us through varying weathers while using slicks. He was half mad, half god-tier skilled.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
I had a chance to get a quick run on a friends XB12R. As CK said, one of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden. Intuitive is the only appropriate word to describe that bike. It felt like it was a half step ahead of me in the right direction. Every turn was effortless and smooth, I felt like Valentino Rossi. On a good day I look like a confused, grinning idiot.

It was never going to be a back-stretch rocket, it wasn't designed to be, but for carving corners? I doubt there's a better bike available anywhere.

I've heard that the rotax powered buells have heating issues, but having never owned or ridden one of those.

·
Hot Sauce
210 Posts
Is going 100+ a must in your guys eyes? (i know it's you opinions but still)

Honestly though for it`s size the 08 i had made cornering effortless. I wont even argue with folks about that. Next to my other bikes it was the difference between manhandling them around turns and just flicking it where you want it. I LOVED riding it downtown as well, was so much fun to chop through traffic on.

Will i ever own one again? NO....

The only Harley dealers who will stock their parts or even give you the time of day for that matter are the dealer locations that previously sold buell bikes on their lots. If the dealer never sold them then they will not carry the parts. I had a 45 minute drive to the nearest dealer who would even talk to me about the bike...was as if the other dealers close to me wanted nothing to do with me or the bike the moment i said "buell" over the phone. And it`s not as simple as some lead to believe where you just buy everything as if you have a sportster...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But here in Maine we have mostly twist and turns and not much straight a ways. From what I have got from this is they might be a pain to repair and i4's will have there way with me on the highway but it would be a corner monster witch sounds amazing to me.. I guess it comes down to getting a good price on own compared to a i4

1 - 20 of 48 Posts