Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really don't have much to add. MPLS is dead on. For me, I don't remember the last time I was anywhere near 100mph. Top end power isn't a huge deal to me. I have been looking at Buells as of late. The engineering and designs of Buells are what attract me. It's coming down to if I want soemthing different, why not keep my heavy ass Speed Triple.

With all that being said, my dream bike is an EBR 1190SX. Unfortunately, they are not going to be around by the time I can afford one.
Place in Kansas City Mo is selling the 1190sx for $10,999 brand new. I test drove it and loved it, I was really thinking about getting but then I found my SD 990 at such a good price. The EBR is nice, extremely quick.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Is going 100+ a must in your guys eyes? (i know it's you opinions but still)
No, not an absolute must have. But is there any reason I would give it up in preference for light, nimble handling? Not really. I don't do track days and there's not many corners here that you can't take at triple digits (assuming no traffic or pot holes), and not many roads where flick-able handling is gonna be more fun than raw power. And occasionally you get rolled on by a 2015 Corvette have to spank em with a 30 year old motorcycle.....

If I lived in Santa Cruz CA, or anywhere with twisties, a Buell would make all kinds of sense. In the Midwest, something like a Busa is honestly pretty sweet. My FJ goes fast enough to be awful stupid, but having even more acceleration up in the 70+ zone (plus more than 5 gears) would be fun. Of course, the non-HD engine Buells do that.

·
Hot Sauce
210 Posts
No matter what direction you go in you`re going to have fun with it regardless. Do you know exactly what buell you want, what has you interested in them?

On the off the wall chance i ever did get another one it would probably be a tuber X1. The tank and frame are just so damn sexy and their shape lends itself to tail swaps so nicely. Not to mention that whole pull shock or belly shock? also looks pretty damn neat imo.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I'm moving to Denver soon and intend to ride a motorcycle 300 days a year commuting and weekend mountain runs. Buells are fantastic at both, but I'm not sure if it'll be better enough that I'd give up my Bandit for one.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Looks like I'm going to be living in the Cherry Creek area and working up in Commerce City.
Cherry Creek is nice. I used to live just north of there closer to downtown. Was a real shithole. I worked at mountain state motors (VW) next to HOOTERS.

Be careful with your morning commute. Cagers out there are total assholes.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Cherry Creek is nice. I used to live just north of there closer to downtown. Was a real shithole. I worked at mountain state motors (VW) next to HOOTERS.

Be careful with your morning commute. Cagers out there are total assholes.
They're not any worse than Houston. I can guarantee that. You'd think the turn signal stalk was optional equipment on most cars here.

·
826 Posts
I used to have a 2003 XB9. Out of all the bikes I've had and sold(yam 500 dual sport, ex250, triumph speed four, R1, yz supermoto,[currently a speed triple]), the buell is the only one I miss at all, and I miss it bad. It wasn't a perfect match when I had it, for some of the same reasons everyone else will tell you...mainly because it sucked on the highway at anything over 65mph, it was just geared too low. The heavy shaking on idle used to always give me a headache when I lived in the city and sat in constant traffic(ironic from a bike supposedly made for the city... but it was smooth as could be when you were moving, and I do get headaches easily). I also got tired of chasing friends on 600cc bikes on the highway haha, but in trade they were chasing me everywhere else we went. I sold it because I wanted something a bit friendlier for highway travel, and something with a bit more power. I had originally wanted an XB12, and had I bought one instead I might've never sold it, but the xb9 was a little weaker than I wanted.

The bike was 100% dead reliable, the lack of maintenance from the belt drive and self adjusting valves was amazing, and the bike had a ton of cool parts between the gas in the frame and the transparent bodywork. All in all, the bike I've always loved are the older tube framed S1s. That's what I've always wanted. I bought the xb because it just seemed a bit more of a reliable/safer purchase, in the end it wasn't ever the bike I wanted. I rode it for 7000 miles, sold it for $700 more than I paid for it(and still cheaper than I see them today), and I'm in the process of saving a little cash to find an old S1, which will be parked in my garage FOREVER. A lot of people are right with some of the stuff they say about them. They're not the same as a japanese sportbike, but I love the things. I'll keep my speed triple around for the reliable/commuting/highway/2up stuff, as it's a great bike, but the Buell was just more fun to own than anything else I've had. Bonus is that I feel like between the ton of sportster motors, and a welder/paint gun, I could keep one of those tube framed bikes running forever.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So, did you buy a Buell?

I also have a XB9SX. Love it! works perfect for me......fast enough but also slow enough to keep me out of trouble. :)

And I love the way it looks.

Nope ... Haven't bought any bike yet 😕 but when I can I'm going to go the cbr900rr route... But I do want a xb12s pretty bad!

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
You know I've never thought much of these things mainly because of the Harley stigma but now that I think of it, one of these could actually make a pretty darn good fighter. I've wanted a throaty burly twin for a while now but I guess if I ever am to buy one there's no getting round the fact that a twin just isn't gonna give me as much horsepower what an inline or a v4 will... but I'd reckon a big twin would make up for it's shortcomings as massive torque right? I don't think I'm changine bikes any time soon, but when I do I suppose I'm gonna have to even go test ride an xb12, cause quite frankly the mainstream japs somehow just fail to tickle me anymore. I consider myself to be a bit of an oddball which is why I appreciate the Buell way of thinking, they don't do things like everyone else just because it's proven to be a working method, they do things exactly the way they want without asking permissions just like me. Sometimes it works... sometimes not but hey at least you tried and maybe even created something cool while trying. For instance I absolutely love the inside out front brake just for the sake of being quirky :D

I suppose one of the xb12:s would be a pretty easy bike to wheelie too?

Reactions: BarestBueller

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Oh, just around 5k and 8-12m2 short that's all...

Trust me if I could I would without batting an eyelid.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts