Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My project is done.
First, I will be showing the end result, the frame and the donor bike.
Then I will proceed with detailes.
The purpose of building a Ducati frame was to learn how to do it.
Interestingly, building a frame was a just part of the job(surprise) to build the bike as a whole.
The frame building was in focus for so long, it has been and interesting ride.
I have built 3 frames - the first one took 6 months to build, the second one 2 months and the third one 2 weeks. And I have a day job.
Building the first one took longest because it takes time to develop skills, how to's, procedures and so on. But once I went trough one process successfully, the next time I could do it not even thinking about it. One use 90% of time to actually think about how to do something. Then translate that to a working part and then develop the actual product. It happened quite a few times that first version did not work, nor second or third. But once I have found what works, the next time it took less and less time to make the part or solve the problem.
Of all the tools and machines 2 are essential for me - tig welder and lathe. tig for obvious reasons but lathe is the king. One could make parts in no time and solve problems that could delay the project. So let us begin.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used existing frame to get all the points in place on the jig. MTS frame is completely different in style from the 748 frame type I wanted, It took time, trial and error to get the subframe position right. The tank, subframe and seat make one part when bolted together, which made it a bit easier , but it still took time, trial and error to get all the mounting points right. In general, for ducatis the engine mounting points are the same but they differ in swingarm placement as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx my friend! Here is the finished jig. When building a jig one thing is important - "anchor" all the mounting points from 3 sides and weld them shut. If not then it will move. That might be harder to achieve with shock mount but it is doable by making a assembly that can be removed when taking out the finished frame.
As far as I know there are 3 ways to make the jig.
The best is to steal original drawings and precision machine the parts. That way you know it is 100% accurate. Drawback is that takes time and cost more. But for production work is essential.
The second one is to use existing frame. But is it really straight? Building a jig from a copy of a copy? To a certain degree one can measure but you are never sure. I have read that GIA is buying new motorcycles so he knows that the frame is straight. At least he is sure it was no accident involved.
The third one is to align the engine, fork with the wheel, the swingarm and use all the mounting points. Tack weld all the tubes and then finish the welding in a cage like fixture.
Of course there are variations as well to the examples above.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts