Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Good read. He pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

I agree that the phrase doesn't do much positive, for reasons he outlined. But I think he also touched on, at it's core, that phrase was a way to express pride in what you did create. But then it just got watered down into some catch phrase to stick on your bike.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
I concur with both of you.

I remember hearing it as a legitimate reaction to the cookie cutter choppers that were being "built" by guys who only ended up with copies of every other bike on the road. Mostly because those same builders would scoff at any part that didn't come from OCC or Arlen Ness (side note, I did watch OCC regularly for a time and have a profound respect for Arlen Ness). Of course the irony now is that all the people screaming "built not bought" throw a leg over a cafe racer with clipons, rearsets and a benelli replica tank and go riding off on an exact copy of the every other bike on the road.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
I can't seriously believe there is an untapped market of people with 20k plus to drop on a custom bike, or even 8k for a decent new stocker... who aren't doing it because of some slogan. If your mind is that easily swayed, chances are you either don't want a bike (because you've been sold on how dangerous it is) or just want it as a lifestyle accessory (which Harley has pretty well covered).

Much as I'd love to justify some sour grapes towards that crowd, I don't see custom builders loosing anything by it. Custom builders have problems because the motorcycle market in general has been in the shitter.

I'd love to get Spyder's take on this.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I can't seriously believe there is an untapped market of people with 20k plus to drop on a custom bike, or even 8k for a decent new stocker... who aren't doing it because of some slogan. If your mind is that easily swayed, chances are you either don't want a bike (because you've been sold on how dangerous it is) or just want it as a lifestyle accessory (which Harley has pretty well covered).

Much as I'd love to justify some sour grapes towards that crowd, I don't see custom builders loosing anything by it. Custom builders have problems because the motorcycle market in general has been in the shitter.

From personal experience I can say that you are spot on. Not sure why it's even a debate about a stupid slogan or how it effects anything other than some egotistical ideal about what is right and wrong. Can we have a debate about what a street fighter is, next? :nuts:

Over the years I've made a few passes at selling custom bikes and it has proven how shitty the market is. Taking pride in your work is worth while though, no use in bringing shame to real builders because some hipster fools bastardize a term.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I agree with Ratfoghter about how shorty the market is and how that term has been bastardized. I guess I can see where y'all are coming from, but I feel like not only is there much more to be said about riding a custom bike you built yourself but also a couple years ago we were all throwing the phrase built not bought around just as much as any place or anyone else was. Why is it all of a sudden to uncool to believe in it? Because its a popular thing to say now? That seems more hipster than anything.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Lol that's a pretty good article. There's a lot of good points but I think the people who have ruined that term don't understand at all what it men's. I didn't build any of the frames or engines on my bikes. They came with them. But I took a stock bike, tore it down and RE-built it to my liking. A lot of parts I bought and made them fit. A lot of parts I made myself from pieces of junk metal I found in the dumpster at my old job. I think maybe the term we need to look for here is "RE-built, not bought". I don't think there's anything wrong AT ALL with buying a completely stock bike and riding the piss out of it with pride. I just cannot appreciate or respect someone who takes a bone stock bike, throws on flush mount turn signals, a power commander or an acerbis headlight and says they have a one of a kind custom bike. Cause THATS the poison that takes away the value of all the guard work and imagination that we put into our bikes.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Good read. He pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

I agree that the phrase doesn't do much positive, for reasons he outlined. But I think he also touched on, at it's core, that phrase was a way to express pride in what you did create. But then it just got watered down into some catch phrase to stick on your bike.
My sentiments exactly. But just because people that hit their wives or are in other ways total fucking douchebags high five or say "cool", doesn't mean I'm going to stop high giving or saying the word cool.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
I'd love to get Spyder's take on this.
THAT is the very first thing that jumped in my mind. Between him and his kids, they pretty much DO build the whole bike.

Quoted from the article:

"Now I’ll admit that I’m being pedantic. Obviously “built not bought” means different things to different people, and whoever originally coined the phrase probably didn’t mean it this way. "

^- Admits that he is basically making a mountain out of a mole hill.

"The problem here is obvious, at least to me. Instead of encouraging a culture of builders and patronage, this mantra passive-aggressively shames people for not having the time, equipment, skill or desire to build a custom bike themselves. "

^- Claims the slogan discourages builders.

" Best of all, I think that if we consider this for just a moment, we’ll realize that what we really meant by “built not bought” didn’t have anything to do with where a bike came from, but instead was meant to celebrate the act of creation. So let’s do that. Let’s celebrate creativity.

That’s the stuff that gets my juices going. The joy is found in the process of creation, and in the skill acquisition that lets me do something today that I didn’t know how to do yesterday."

^- Now, he claims the slogan encourages/ celebrates builders.

My take on the article? Dude's a hipster that is trying too hard to sound uber intelligent. Blog full of black & white photos. Showcasing his ''World Debut" of his ''custom Bonny'' that appears to be nothing more than a shitty little brat seat and a set of wrapped pipes. What photos aren't "cool-ass hipster back and white" are fuzzy photos taking by a crummy cellphone with ,apparently, a boogered up camera lens.

He even has a section of his blog showing how awesome of a ''custom bike builder'' he is by wrapping those Triumph pipes. Which, by the way, were absolutely gorgeous and it's a damn shame he buried them under funky fiberglass wrap.

Here is his description of the exhaust system he built for the Bonny that was "World Debuted"

"So while these extra Scrambler parts were expensive, these components would actually be the easiest part of installing the exhaust. After all, they’d all just bolt up once I had them in hand. The tricky bit about installing this exhaust was the lack of a rear exhaust hanger. On the Scrambler, there’s a hanger bracket welded onto the rear subframe at the factory. I had no such hanger, and it’s not a spare part you can just order from Triumph. So the exhaust hanger on my Bonneville would be one of the only two pieces of custom fabrication on the whole bike. "

OMG! HE HAD TO BUILD AN EXHAUST HANGER!!! :whocares:

What was the second piece he had to fabricate? I don't have a clue. Didn't give a poop.

I'm sorry, but to me ''built, not bought'' is fine. It's this article that fucking rambles and rambles and rambles about absolutely nothing that is bullshit. Actually, I think this guy is a little butthurt because the slogan he pretends to hate makes him feel a little inadequate since he doesn't seem to have any massive fabrication skills. Yet, his created a blog so that people could admire his building prowess?

I dunno. I guess I missed the point?

He mentions his exhaust hanger and how the work was ''tedious'' and how the hanger ''organically'' ended up where it was.

:wtf:

It's a fucking motorcycle. Would these hipsters please stop acting like it's some kind of life-altering, spiritual experience to just tinker around the shop and piddle on your damn bike?!?!

Sorry if I offended any of you fellas. I guess I'm just simple minded when it comes to bikes.

Buy shit. Then build a bike out of it. What you want doesn't exist? Then build it. You can't afford what you want? Then build it.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
Hahahahaha!!!

Re: His Cb450 build:

"Since then, I’ve served as Adeline’s caretaker. I upgraded to a Pamco electronic ignition and every 1,000 miles the bike gets a full tune-up, including a check of those infamous torsion bar valves."

A full tune up every 1,000 miles?? So... once a month?? Wtf, those old Honda's can fucking run forever. Dude's just looking for glory. lol

G

·
Built not bought is a phrase & a slogan I have heard & seen many times, I have to say the whole idea & ideal is bullshit 99% of the time & imo that waffle is just a custom builder trying to drum up some business

As an example if I go to some 'custom builder' & say I want this that & the other, throw a bunch of money at him he will do what I want but I didn't build it I bought it ... with me so far ?

Now if I sit in a shed with a bunch of steel & some tools for a year & come out with a working bike I really did build it didn't I ?

The third way is to throw a bunch of money at part suppliers then bolt it all together .... built or bought you decide

Now the whole point is I really don't care what you do & I will either like the end product or think its a piece of shit, I know what my way is, what you think or what you spend makes no difference to me whatsoever just don't tell me its built & take credit for someone else's work

The only other comment I can make is for those who say ' I would love to build but I don't have the skills' more bullshit imho .... If you have 2 arms, 2 legs, a pair of eyes & a half working brain all you have to do is stop fucking whining & learn :D

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I don't really care if someone built it themselves or had the vision and paid someone else to build that or even just bought a bike. What pisses me off is when the people who didn't build it try to act like they did build it or that a few aftermarket parts make it a custom one of a kind bike. To anyone that has built something these people are easy to spot after a few basic questions about the bike. I have much more respect for someone with a custom bike that says yeah so and so made this exhaust system and they got that tail piece from company X instead of making up a bullshit story about them creating it.

What also bugs me are the people who seem to overnight immerse themselves in the motorcycle world. With Harley in my back yard I see it quite a bit. Person buys a brand new bike with a bunch of catalog chrome and brand name leathers and instantly becomes biker badass. Or the people who seem to become experts overnight and start handing out advice on everything.

G

·
With ya 100% there Racing Geek

I have caught a couple of idiots out bragging about building stuff that I have done, I usually sit back & give them enough rope to hang themselves then step in with something subtle like 'I built that, would you like a copy of the build pictures?' :LolLolLolLol:

·
Knows nothing....
2,132 Posts
"Built, not Bought!" is over played due to the squid market. It pissses people off because of the level that particular person feels is "built". I have no real skills of building, but have idears in my head. If I follow through with them, will I consider it built? Hell yeah. I didn't buy it like that...... All in all, we know what is built and what is bought. Posers are posers, we know who they are. Who the fook cares. Look and move on.

People are always going to try to fit in, they are always going to overexagerate phrases to fit in, they are always going to use products, brands, etc others use to fit in......

1 - 20 of 98 Posts