Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I've never heard of one. I think there's so much power to be had with the oil cooled 1100 engines that swap in with such ease that its kinda bot worth doing. Any reason in particular why you chose the Hayabusa engine? Is it cause it's watercooled or for the fuel injection or something?

G

·
Anything will go into anything with work IE tons of welding grinding etc etc but if you expect a busa motor to drop in with a few brackets & not a lot else work wise ...................forget it

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
And a "modern" GSXR1000 into a Bandit.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Scbeachill did a gsx1400 turbo but I think it was its original frame.

And fate that zrx busa is ducking badass

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is both the water cooled and the fuel injection issue..not to mention the all around power with out a ton of mods..just haven't seen one ever and think it would be a cool build..i saw the zrx build a couple of yrs ago..the fabrication is not an issue,sure it would be time consuming but hell I think it would be a lot cheaper than trying to get the old carbureted 1157 to run like a stock busa motor...much less keep it cool..

G

·
If you can deal with the fab ok & know what you want the thing to look like i say go for it

My thinking is .....

1 Pipework always looks messy on a watercooled bike no matter what you do, fine if you can put up with the look

2 Bandit frames aint all that strong when you are considering effectivey doubling the power over stock, something you will have to deal with imho

3 Stock suspension is pretty crap so will need sorting

4 Imho its not going to look much like a bandit anyway once all the above is sorted so why not just build a frame & stick bandit bodywork on it if thats the look you like, i suspect this is pretty much what it will end up like anyway

Like i said go for it if you can deal with or accept the above .... & post a thread :)

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
it is both the water cooled and the fuel injection issue..not to mention the all around power with out a ton of mods..just haven't seen one ever and think it would be a cool build..i saw the zrx build a couple of yrs ago..the fabrication is not an issue,sure it would be time consuming but hell I think it would be a lot cheaper than trying to get the old carbureted 1157 to run like a stock busa motor...much less keep it cool..

The 1157 will never be a Busa killer while it resides in a Bandit frame, but I am unsure if the cost/time of the busa swap will outweigh a properly built flat slide carb'd 1157. At the rate of wanting busa power why would you even bother when there is turbo kits readily available for Bandits? Please don't start about "light switch power", there are companies that build blow through systems for a rather affordable price that are rather docile compared to the old Rayjay shod Mr. Turbo kits. Don't want a loud turbo bike? Put a muffler on it. Don't want more than 180rwhp? Put an external adjustable wastegate on it. Simple solutions to a complicated question.

I see it this way, if you are going to build something like Kawabusa... you would. I can't recall a single time I've seen a bike like that roll out after a whole community was addressed about the logistical aspect of such an intensive swap. Not to be a dick, just sayin' it how I see it as I entertain these sorts of "what if's" on a regular basis both on and off the forum.

If I was you, and I am not, so please bear with me here, I would be asking Busa owners for measurements of the engine parts from the oil sump to the throttle body spacing and width at the manifold to gain a real world idea of what it would take to put that engine in your frame.

Like said before too, there is a Bandit 1200 with a GSXR1000 K7 engine in it, I've seen that particular liter engine fitted to an older SRAD (Piester) and as well a Busa engine in an older SRAD GSXR.... meaning, by simple power of deduction, I would say the Busa engine would fit the Bandit IF you just buy one, measure twice for every cut, and get crackin' on the swap. Nobody, I mean NOBODY is going to be able to say with any real certainty if it works or not until one is made functional in the real world. Modern forward leaning cylinder engines with water jackets in place of archaic designs like the upright cylinder Bandit's and GSXR A/O's will always be a great challenge to fit to a vintage style frame.

If your chasing something unique, go for it, but if you are after power, check out ProBoost.fi for the most reliable and easiest to assemble turbo kit I've ever seen for a bike. ;)

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Questions like yours remind me of the Bandit that never was...

AAAAAAND here ya go, GSXR engine in a Bandit frame, that's what it looks like. ;)

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Half a bandit frame & a bandit tank .................its messy :LolLolLolLol:

If your riding it you ain't lookin' at it. Function over form in that case. :D :fu: :D

(In all fairness though I have ridden the bike that engine came out of, and the bike it went into, in mildly modified form back to back on several occasions and in my personal and not so professional opinion it would be a build for the "fucking fast" record books. It sure is not a "because I can" build at all, it is a "I like my Bandit, but after riding that new K7 I want that bloody engine!", sort of a build. :nuts:)

G

·
Hey RatFighter i agree with the function over form comment mate, its how i build my own stuff IE make it work then worry about pretty shit, unless its a rat thats it then i only have to worry about matt black or nato green paint :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool thanks for the input..my buddy has several busa motors I could probably barter one from him when I asked his about it he turned me on to another friend who has a 1340 old school 1100r motor oil boiler that would be much more on the lines of what im thinking..all though the turbo setup would be cool too..i will get my ducks in a row and see what happens

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
in an issue of streetfighters magazine there was an older gsxr with a busa motor in it. not sure if the frame was form an oil cooled bike of water cooled but if you can find that article it may help with some questions. from what i do remember from it the fairings had to sit 2 or 3 inches wider. i believe that the builder also had to add a sump to the fuel tank for the fuel pump to fit properly. im not sure on the airbox but i believe it had to be modified a good bit too. not sure what they did to the frame but since the bandit frame is steel it will be a lot easier to modify. when i put the k8 1000 motor in my srad frame i measured the mounting surface (the side closer to the motor) of the front sprocket and the center of the countershaft to a few places on the frame. i then made my motor mounts and modified the lower mount to get the front sprocket of the new motor to sit in the same place. also measured the angle of the block (mostly with the angle of the spark plug holes by threading something in to them that stuck up far enough) in comparison to fuel tank mounts and subframe mounts. this isnt as big of a deal but keeping the motor as close to the angle it came from the factory with will keep the oiling system happy.

Reactions: shinyribs
1 - 20 of 21 Posts