Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in my project thread, but thought I'd ask about it here as well.

Picked up a project bike as a quick flip.
Limited $
Minimal parts
LOTS of ghetto fab.

Looking for suggestions for modifying this busted brake pedal:

It's cast aluminum.
Any ideas / suggestions / links to what a garage wrencher could do to get it operational again???

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:

Sympul

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Cycle X up in Wisconsin "merica". Google em... then see if they have one for cheap... this a brake pedal - I wouldn't Ghetto Fab this. Just my.02

Beez

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah, can have one that fits for $10-15 on ebay. GSXR 600 750 ones should have same splines I think, check before you wreck tho

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a guy willing to part with his brake pedal (sv) for $30. So no ghetto fabbing.

... however, this is CF... there's got to be a way to fix this. Shit, I've seen builds where a guy made a seat out of a tractor fender and a lawnmower blade. ('cause that's what he had laying around)

I remember seeing a thing where a guy made one out of a spare wrench. But Fook'd if I can find that thread again.

That Honda site is pretty sweet. Lots of options there if I had a Honda.

Thanks for the advice guys!!!!!

Sympul

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Not worth it to DIY unless you're machining up some trick shit. This stuff is cheap on eBay.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't trust any kind of kludge real far where brakes are concerned. If it was a dirtbike, and I was in the desert and neeeeeeded the back brake, and it was just to get back to the trucks I'd probably, say, squash a piece of tubing over the stump and limp it back like that or something but I really wouldn't trust much in the way of fasteners/clamps on something foot-operated and important as a perm. solution. Particularly when the stump is cast.

·
10,892 Posts
i've done the tube thing, squashed flat with a locking bolt on it before (gear shift side) kept me on the road while i made a new lever , even kept it under my seat for years incase i ever needed it

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ I've done that for the shifter side... but the brake side was a different beast, mostly because of how high it busted off. There didn't seem to be anything to attach it to.

Also, I was wondering about brazing steel to aluminum. Would this be too weak a bond to be used for a foot brake?

*again, just want to say that I have a new pedal on it's way, this is just me asking for my own education.

Thanks!

Sympul

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Could be TIG brazed using silicon-bronze, should last as long as you aren't standing on the damn thing.

The reason I said it wasn't worth it was because of the time/effort involved vs. end result. I don't think safety is really a big deal here... I see the rear brake more as an "advanced traction control" or "hooligan switch" rather than something for slowing the bike down, so if the pedal falls off and you lose rear brake ability... well, I'd say fuck it and continue riding if it were me.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
I rode my 900RR without a rear brake forever, wasn't until I was getting rid of the thing all those years ago I actually did something about it. Never felt too comfortable trying to coast that thing on a 2nd gear (moving way too fucking fast for that shit as a newer stunt rider at the time) so the wheelies stayed low and I embraced those big old Nissin's up front for an entire season. :D

Lever's are cheap as it gets. If it was me I would have just taken it off, cut out a replica of the shape from steel or aluminum, drilled the appropriate holes for the pivot at the peg, the pin for the master cylinder, and then toss a bolt through the end where my foot would be pushing on it and live with that for as long as I cared to look at it. Suzuki brake levers are a stupid simple design, I've made my own a few times, last one was my first Bandit 1200 back in '06, high sided it trying to perfect rear brake 180's for quick back road turn around maneuvers, and just made one out of steel so all I had to do was bend it back as long as the peg didn't snap off in the process too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts