Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a used Lincoln pro mig 135 tonight. Great working condition comes with a brand new spool of wire only thing missing is the regulator for the gas hook up. Which doesn't bother me know cuz I don't have gas.

What do you guys think? Good deal?

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
How much? Its a good little welder for a beginner, dont plan on welding any steel over 1/8" though, unless you can get to both sides of it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$400

That's what I want something good to learn with that I can eventually hook gas up to and get good enough to justify buying tig one day.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
$400 is not a bad price. Buy it, but i can tell you mig and tig are such different animals that if tig is what you really want to learn, you may as well just buy a tig and learn now because knowing how to mig is not going to help you at learning tig much at all. You can pick up a used miller maxstar 140 DC tig for under $500 all day long and will be able to tig steel and stainless.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
any cheap fluxcore machine that you can convert to gas on the cheap is nice to have. The closest you can get to tig without having a tig machine is to do gas welding.... but for the price you might as well buy a cheap tig unit. You could also buy an older ac/dc stick welder and work some magic to make that a scratch start tig. I recomend starting with scratch start just so you can get the motions and muscle memory down before you drop serious coin.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I know tig and mig are 2 totally different animals I meant getting down welding period and learning metals Ect. I have a shitty stick welder that I've gotten pretty good with now I want a mig that can go gas so I can learn that. If I were to buy a tig I wouldn't want crap I'd want something good which around here you can't find for under 1.5k or 2k.

Some questions what can a mig weld? Types of metals thicknesses grades. I know shit about metals

And what is the best type of wire?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I want weld subframes shock mounts and maybe motor mounts on a older steel frame so I can stuff a bigger motor into it. That's what I want out of this mig.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
if you have an ac/dc stick welder that is the best thing you can use to learn. They make a filler rod for pretty much any kind of metal you can think of. It is easier and more important to watch the puddle while stick welding so you can really see what is going on and figure out what is good and what isnt. You can do quite a bit more with a little mig welder than what most people say/think, alot of it has to do with prep and technique. Although the applications of which you can use the welds you made with the little welder a bit limited. The best way to learn metallurgy is to either take a class or do lots of reading if you are good at learning things on your own. You could also post on weldingweb as they have tons of info about pretty much everything you would ever need to know.

when it comes to welding everybody knows something somebody else doesnt, whether it is true/safe varies from person to person but some things are proven facts that dont really change. Some people say you cant mig "cast iron" and others say you can do it just fine. The truth is that there are different types of cast iron and some you can weld with damn near anything and others you might as well use super glue because it will hold just as well.

listen to people, check facts, try some things for yourself and learn from all of it.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
Looks like a good welder. Can't really go wrong with Lincoln. MIG technique will not help you learn TIG, just an FYI. You will be able to do subframes, frame tabs, motor mounts, exhaust, brackets, all kinds of stuff. Steel and stainless.

$400 seems like an ok price, but make damn sure it works. Have him weld something in front of you. Bring a few scrap pieces of clean steel just in case. Haggle down as much as you can, remember you were willing to pay $400 so if you get out of there at $370 you are golden and can use the money to buy a regulator or gloves or helmet.

Here is the manual http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im787.pdf

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I have a weld pack 135 or 140 HD (can't remember) and god damn is that thing dependable, I've welded 1/2" with it (not easy). It's never let me down.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have gloves and 2 helmets I offered $300 and he said another guy was coming tomorrow to pay the $4 so instead of risking it and saying well call me if he flakes I just said I'll be out there tonight. I'm
Meeting them at Walmart so I can't really test but I looked on a welding website that had reviews and other people saying they were buying one what to look for so I asked if the drive motor comes on the freed knob works and the tip arcs. I got yes to all of that the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about it so I feel comfortable buying it without testing it. But if you guys think I should go there and test it first I will but my gut feels good.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And he said it's coming with the new spool of wire because he bought just to make sure it all still worked as he hadn't used it in a couple months

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a little 200 watt power inverter I can bring and try it out in the parking lot you think that'll work for testing it out?

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
No, that isn't enough.

$400 seems very high to me. I think I paid $225 for my Lincoln 175HD, with a cart and a tiny little bottle and regulator.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
No, that isn't enough.

$400 seems very high to me. I think I paid $225 for my Lincoln 175HD, with a cart and a tiny little bottle and regulator.
You got a great deal.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After talking with my busty he told me to call the guys bluff about someone coming tomorrow because the price was to high and if the guy does sell it he will find me a better mig for the same price. So I called the guy and told him if the guy doesn't show call me and we can talk price. He hung up on me.....

So my buddy is going to ask around to his friends and find me a better deal. Fine by me I just realized I don't want to do the rear shock mount send the frame off and have it come back not lined up. So I'm going to send the frame off this week so I'll have time to practice welding and hopefully be able to do my own mount so it's more of my own fab work on my build

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
After talking with my busty he told me to call the guys bluff about someone coming tomorrow because the price was to high and if the guy does sell it he will find me a better mig for the same price. So I called the guy and told him if the guy doesn't show call me and we can talk price. He hung up on me.....

So my buddy is going to ask around to his friends and find me a better deal. Fine by me I just realized I don't want to do the rear shock mount send the frame off and have it come back not lined up. So I'm going to send the frame off this week so I'll have time to practice welding and hopefully be able to do my own mount so it's more of my own fab work on my build
haha, that is awesome. I am guessing the guy was trying to sell a broken welder and pull a fast one.

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
If your willing to spend 700 plus or minus twecco has a new machine coming out or is out that is able to run mig,stick,tig. More then enough for cyle fab work. I believe it comes with a stinger and a gun. Tig tourch may have to be bought seprate. If your interested check tweccos site or ask at a local gas welding supplier for in for. I'm looking into getting one myself

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 45 Posts