Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy i know is selling his 1994 CBR900RR with 11,000 miles on it for $1,500 and im thinking of picking it up. its ugly, allready poorley streetfightered and by that i mean it just has no cowling. i dont think any other work has been done to it. he is selling it cause he need a new dirtbike and thats why its so cheap. also it has a bad charging system but he has a new one he says he will install before giving to me. says it has no scratches on the frame so he docent think it has been down except once at 2mph that he did himself.

i know this is a pretty good deal but what should i look for when i go to check it out? i could look over a used car and have a pretty good idea what works gonna need to be done to it but bikes im not as confident.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pretty much the same you'd look for on a car except 2 less wheels lol.

Make sure there's no major leaks. Check the chain although that's just regular maintenance and since you said nothing has been done to it it may be in bad shape anyway i.e. rust. Check the welds on the frame for noticeable cracks. Check the front forks for any leaks. Check both sides of both wheels for dents/cracks Check wheel alignment (sight down forks and centreline of bike). check the brake fluid for dirt or grime. Check the gas tank and the state of the fuel.

There's probably more but that's a good start

Cheers and good luck

·
Registered
740 Posts
Do the WOT pull in second gear, since people that beat on bikes tend to blow out 2nd gear from not clutching the 1-2 shift. If it pops into neutral on hard acceleration in second walk away, or be ready for a project to fix it. Also, at redline snap the throttle shut and look behind you (safely)...if it smokes on a throttle chop the valve seals are shot. Smoking when cold or startup is worn rings, which also likely means low compression. Which comes from hard use and poor maintenance.

Simple things like checking the condition of the oil, color of the brake fluid (clear=good, brown=bad), ect will tell you a lot about the habits of the rider. People that beat the piss out of bikes usually don't bother with the maintenance either. Smoking when cold is worn rings,

Honestly $1500 sounds a little steep for a chopped up 20 year old bike.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Honestly $1500 sounds a little steep for a chopped up 20 year old bike.
This is what I was thinking too. I would maybe pay half that.

Tires in good shape and less than 5-6 years old? Chain clean and lubed? Forks leaking? Rear shock too bouncy?

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Hmm...I agree with paying much less than $2000 or even $1500, it looks pretty rough, hell I just sold my GSXR which was 6 years newer had brand new tires, headlights....etc and looked way better for only $1800

If you can get him down to about $8-$900 maybe then atleast you'd have some extra dough to get started

·
Registered
740 Posts
As said if the tires/brakes/chain are in good shape, it runs good and has no engine/tranny issues, I'd offer a grand at most.

"Tons of spare parts" run thru the Craigslist translator comes out to "tons of miscellaneous/damaged/broken shit in boxes I want to get rid of"

·
Registered
171 Posts
Check the paint around the frame welds in front. Make sure the tank lines up well with the subframe. Clearly you don't want to buy anything with new paint on welds or cracks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts