Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a noob thats been into bikes since the seventies, 79 CBX first streeter. I've been in the aerospace job shops for the last 20+ years and would like to offer my help-assistance to any who may need it. Things I may be able to help with include cad design of just about anything and machining services, cnc lathe with live tooling, 3,4,5 axis milling, cad design using solidworks or unigraphics nx6 I prefer unigraphics but thats just me. If I can help any one contact.

ps I'm in michigan, these are some trips I'm gonna cut this week will post actual pics when done. 7075 al.

Attachments

·
451 Posts
Cool. You're the first person I've talked to that likes UGS. Its a bit pricey for my taste so I've never bothered to form an opinion on it.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Cool. You're the first person I've talked to that likes UGS. Its a bit pricey for my taste so I've never bothered to form an opinion on it.
I love ugs dave. I have nx5 at work and its one of the most powerful cad systems out there:)

welcome aboard encarlisle. Do you have this equipment at home or are you able to do side work at your job?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ug and soliworks mastercam etc. at home. I do alot of contract programming + design around here and some of my business relationships have turned into pretty good friendships so i also get some machine time in trade. By the way you guys just call me Erik i guess I need to edit my screen name.

·
theman themyth thelegend
8,497 Posts

thats a pic of my stock triple.

i want to mount dirty bars but its tapered and i dont want to buy those big ugly stunt risers they sell.

plus i want the ignition cut off and smoothed.

i like your design, im shopping around to see who on the forum can do the job.

im interested in something like this, i just dont want the ingition hole on there.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hooligan, I was gonna help ya out but got squashed by one a the moderators. they want me to advertise which i may do but until then can't help ya. alot of the other guys in here seem to be ace's at it though if you do like my design i'd be glad to give it to who ever you decide to go with.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Hooligan, I was gonna help ya out but got squashed by one a the moderators. they want me to advertise which i may do but until then can't help ya. alot of the other guys in here seem to be ace's at it though if you do like my design i'd be glad to give it to who ever you decide to go with.
I've been doing side work here for a while. Honestly I can't keep up with the demand with as little machine time as I get for myself. The mods don't usually mind as long as your a contributing member and not just here running a business off the work you do.

I try to keep it low key so I don't step on the toes of the site sponsors who do make a business out of this clientel. For me its just a few hours after work every week. I couldn't advertise if I wanted to. Couldn't handle the demand.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Welcome in Erik. If nothign else, you'll get asked a LOT of questions. There are a few of us ameteurs trying to get better at it as we go.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Awhile back i offered up Cad design work for the site. Ive done things for several members on here but its really not as busy as I thought it would be. :LolLolLolLol: There is a thread in the General Fighter section(buried by now) that says "show us your 3d cad work". If you post some stuff up in there, people will contact you im sure.

:shocker:

·
451 Posts
Now I'm real interested to see how Ugs handles some of the funny stuff I'm starting to fool with in cad. Hmmmmm Might have to talk with the moderators. I appreciate the support as that advertiser but I really don't want to become known as the cad/cam nazi either. I appreciate Flint predicament. As much as I envy his situation, I remember what a bitch it was to try to fit personal projects into machine time at work. I remember struggling to get my own stuff done. Can't imagine taking on others work.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave

ug is extremely powerful but has a pretty steep learning curve I've been using it for about a year and like it a lot for both cad and cam but it can bite ya. Just spent a twenty hour marathon trying to sort out what i thought was a screwed up solidworks file from a customer and it turns out it was a setting i had changed a few days ago a 1 minute fix that took twenty fookin hours. I swear I'm getting stupid sometimes.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
UGS is the most powerful cad package ive used. I was lucky enough to have a pretty complete version of NX 5 with aero sheet metal, simulation and so on. Solidworks is the most power while being extremely user friendly that I have come across. I would agree that NX has a steep learning curve and when you do something wrong you have to figure out what it was. With solidworks it is very helpful with problems and trying to auto fix them if you want. For what you want to do dave I dont suggest NX. Unless for some reason you want to get into extremely complex surfacing(which its excellent at) I would stick with one of the more user friendly(and highly supported) cad packages. If you do end up using NX feel free to ask any questions you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts