Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im pretty new to the forum and to modding bikes, Im from the Dominican Republic where the dual sport and cafe racer scene has been pumping.

I bought a pretty beat up Bandit 600 for "cheap" what a mistake

Carbs where are screwed up gas was leaking everywhere A COMPLETE DISASTER.

20190904_144859_1583009055867.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Sorry for the double post, had a hard time uploading the pictures* I know the picture quality sucks too.. Enjoy

Reporting back to you guys, all this already happened in the past 3 months

I bought a Ducati 796 monster seat and planned on adapting it with the cowl for that menacing look

Started off building the subframe and the battery replacement location (not the best work to be honest)

I really liked the angle of the seat. Some of my friends say its too angled and needs to be a tiny bit straighter.

This is the "finished seat conversion" it was painted in the meanwhile with spray paint to cover the welds.

In the next few days my clutch started to slip badly so I went ahead and bought a clutch kit with new springs, watched some tutorial videos on the net and took on the job (First time changing a clutch btw)

To my surprise a very straight forward procedure, changed the oil with some Repsol synthetic and she bangs through the gears like a champ. Something I did notice was that the clutch feel got really heavy. Maybe due to the new springs being somewhat stiffer.

The next step was ditching the old and trashed big stock silencer can with a "SC Project exhaust"

The bike sounds like a proper sport 600cc bike REALLY LOUD but beautiful pops and bangs

A month later a friend of mine sent me this picture:
A complete 2002 954rr front end for a really cheap price considering I live in the Dominican Republic where parts are more expensive and 100x harder to get.

So.. here is where everything turns dark.

I went ahead and started the USD front end conversion without measuring the old vs new forks without looking up for compatibility.

Stem fitted, triples modded.:rock:

On pictures I liked how it turned out, but I feel the forks of the 954rr were too short compared to the OEM front, now the bike looks too low on the front compared to the back end. :shootme:

But wait theres more..:fish4rep:
Leaky fork seals!

After waiting 3 weeks for the seals to get here...I finally went to my trusted mechanic

Where he found out that one of the forks was totally bent...:surrender:

Imagine how hard it was to find 1 only 1 fork of a 954rr (A complete nightmare) eventually we did find one and replaced it.

Having the bike at the shop for 10 days I had time to buy a brand new set of Supersprox sprockets and a DID Golden chain 530.

Who knows how old where the ones on the bike.:sorry0:

At the moment this is how the bike sits, a tiny bit taller in the front with the new oil in the forks but still too leaned forward.

Next up I want to mod the top triple to add Bar clamps and a Pro taper handlebar, but my triple has a weird staggered shape and I don't know if its posible to drill it without the material being compromised. (HELP!)

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Your second post more than made up for the first one. I think there used to be a stunt bike company that made dirtbike risers for the 929/954 but they were UGLY. Not sure if they offer them as it’s been 15yrs or more since I saw them last. You could look to see if LSL makes a kit but they’re $$$.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your second post more than made up for the first one. I think there used to be a stunt bike company that made dirtbike risers for the 929/954 but they were UGLY. Not sure if they offer them as it’s been 15yrs or more since I saw them last. You could look to see if LSL makes a kit but they’re $$$.

Later, Doug
I tried my best to make a respectable post haha. I was looking for the LSL kit but if in the states is expensive add to the cost around a 60% more just to get it here in my country. Ive seen some 954 with RC51 tops and its flat maybe with that I could drill the claps in.

thanks.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,560 Posts
With a 954 top clamp, you can drill out the top part and add clamps. Flip it over and you’ll see press marks on it (iirc) and you drill those out for the size of the riser bolts. Use spacers top and bottom and vois las. I’ve done it on at least 3 929’s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With a 954 top clamp, you can drill out the top part and add clamps. Flip it over and you’ll see press marks on it (iirc) and you drill those out for the size of the riser bolts. Use spacers top and bottom and vois las. I’ve done it on at least 3 929’s.
YES! Thanks I've been waiting for this comment!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been bored all this days, my country just prolonged the quarantine for 15 days more :bawling:

So I tried getting that new header shine again

Took off the exhaust wrap (old and crumbly) & this is what we have underneath

I started off with a 320W grit all the way to 2000W sand paper thinking it was going to be a walk in the park but NO. After some elbow grease I managed to do 2 of the header tubes and still have to do the 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper + de polishing compound

I also had a pair of bar end mirrors and they look sexy :rock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.. back to the drawing board
a) Didn't like or felt safe with the welds I got the first try
b) It had an uncomfortable seat angle and height
c) the rear end felt incomplete

So here we are back at it, even though COVID-19 is still lingering around...

Took an old R1 front fender and cut it into shape with some brackets to give it a cafe vibe

This is the new seating height

New Ebay tacho, it works surprisingly well for how cheap it is

Gotta give props to my builder for making this possible
@dom_vic_atelier

More things coming this month :party-smiley:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update day

First stage of the build is complete, next step is fitting 08-12 R6 rear shock to fix the soggy 20+years old bandit one and fitting the ducati monster seat cowl I got in the email.

Reduced the length of the chain guard
[/u

Made a rear fender (This was a pain to mount) it was fixed to the swingarm with 2 bolts in the lowest part for a clean look, also semi-prepped the new subframe for paint.
[url=https://www.customfighters.com/forums/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=58772]

This is how she sits right now with the new brake light and everything spray painted just as a mock up. :rock:

I got the rear seat cowl and found some real CF 2x2 weave, trying to figure out how to make a mould of the part and make it from scratch in CF :confused:

POLL I need to decide what color to go with Spruce Mica metallic green or a really deep and metallic black? :speechless:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,560 Posts
Green! :skully:

Reactions: Dominicanbandit

·
10,543 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts