Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got told to stick my build in here so lets go for it!

bought the bike back in august for 650quid with no MOT due to a nackered fork seal

fixed the fork seal and ripped fairings off and road it round for a month as it was as a road legal stunt bike

then I decided i wanted a proper build (have built a few fighters in the past but never changed a tail unit or built a custom subframe etc

so last month this happened

iv since got the rails done for the subframe and drilled the top yoke for wide bars and got my flat track seat unit which brings up upto todays date!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so all I have to do this winter (want to finish it pre may if possible!) is to:

get subframe welded aswell as all seat and undertray mounts
make a undertray and battery box out of 1.2mm stainless steel
order lighting (going with mini indicators, strip LED rear light and a round bandit headlight up front...well plan to)
cut seat unit properly to fit with tank on subframe
paint subframe, fork legs and swingarm
make a seat pad for the flat track seat
bolt up front end so handlebars are on and usable
shorten/modify electrics to suit everything
strip fuel tank for paint
hydrodip fuel tank and seat unit
make custom side panels/numberboards
probably other stuff iv forgotten!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
little bit more work done today despite the dreaded man flu trying its best to kill me!

so got the subframe properly ready to weld and spoke to my welder and he is coming round tomorrow to have a look see so fingers crossed he agrees to do it. been relying on him for most of this build to do the welding as he said he probably would!

also got bored and had a large piece of cardboard so I made a cut out side panel to cover the exposed subframe/battery location...what do we think?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my welder has stood me up so now iv still got no welded subframe and cant really get more work done until that is fully in place as i dont have the parts yet for the front end...balls :(

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the lack of updates folks! welder has stood me up AGAIN! so he clearly isnt bothered so looks like I am gonna have to find someone local n spend more money getting a van and driving it there to pay to get it welded at a garage...drives me crazy when people say they will do something then totally fuck you over!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welder has been booked for saturday! hopefully then i can start giving you guys some more pictures and get this show on the road!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEAH BITCHES! Welded up and looking good! the guy who did the welding was really sound! only charged me 40quid too :) he had a fair few vehicles included 2 IOM TT supertwin race bikes and a whol list of 2 strokes

he also had a drag jaguar and a proper 50s american pickup!

anyways...back onto the cbr...also bought the plastic to use as the seat pad base after picking jellyfingers brain :p think I might of bought a bit too much...

100cm x 50cm x 1mm high density polyethylene (big word of the day for me)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only managed a bit of work today as ended up wiring up an r6 for a friend

decided on final seat length and have marked ready to cut for tomorrow. cut out a rough shape for seat pad base too and ordered my rear and front light

this is my rear light

and for my front light I have won a standard suzuki bandit round headlight for the front that im hoping will add to the simplistic look im going for

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rear light arrived and is very small but bright!

headlight turned up but wasnt as described and has alot of surface rust inside, should clean up with a dremel though!

seat unit is now cut to shape and ready to drill

ripped the stock cbr seat apart, the vinyl was held on by 40 screws!!! took forever to undo them all...

started cutting it to trim after this but didnt take any more pictures :p

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
managed to trim down the standard battery box to fit perfectly. just need to make a few mounting brackets on it and should be good.

I have cut the undertray for the seat unit but still need to find a way to get it past the support beams.

also my new rivnut gun turned up and i have managed to insert the bolts for the seat unit so i can drill and bolt that in place at some point in the next week...im at Birmingham Motorcycle Live show on monday with my dad so my day off is spent walking round looking at new bikes i cant afford instead of dw in the shed!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok big update time! got all of this done today :)

finally got a rivnut gun so now rivnuts are on and seat is drilled so can be bolted down now. also finished the brackets for the battery box so that is bolted in loosely too

rough cut my undertray

drilled and bolted down with 9 m6 bolts :)

also started routing wiring to see what needs doing to the back end of the harness and to my surprise it fits as is with only the very back (taillight, indicators and cdi wiring) needing a bit of a trim

one section for the connectors

one section for the reg/rec and earth

cdi etc will sit in back section once bent

and a pretty picture of how she is looking now :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
new seat foam arrived and have given it a rough cut but forgot to take a picture!
had a sit on it and it is comfier than race foam so it will work for me :) need to figure out how to attach it to my seat unit next though. thinking a bolt either side and some high strength velcro as F'dup suggested (but with the bolts to be extra safe)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mmm comfy! will be trying to finish up my undertray if all goes to plan tomorrow then i need to source some new carbs as the damage on these is causing too many leaks to fix

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fucked up my undertray today so need to make another. need to make the front half out of sheet metal and the back half out of plastic/fibgreglass to get the look i want I reckon :/

ah well its not like I ust wasted several hours of work in the freezing cold or anything! the next one shall be bigger and better!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Havent got much done lately. so decided to atleast knock one thing off the list so made my clock mount today

also sent off measurements for the plastic I need for my undertray and seat pad so should have that stuff here for the weekend then I can actually get some shit done! as soon as undertray is finished its time to strip down, replace carbs and paint all the new bits :)

paint scheme has been decided...hehehe in for a shocker but hopefully it looks as cool as I imagine!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got some more work done today...took some flat polypropylene to use for seat pad base and the undertray. plus a heat gun and seat pad came out well

bent two tabs (one on each side) that i will use to secure seat pad to the seat unit aswell as a strip of heavy duty velcro

also trimmed the seat foam to suit and thats a few hours logged :) will neaten up all the plastic edges and foam tomorrow aswell as attempt the same with my undertray

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok...neatened up my seat pad base and pad...i also got some heat on my new under tray and bent it up and drilled it bolted it to the seat

I'm away at parents holiday home until new year where i will then heat and bend the edges then i can neaten up the burring

overall pic you can see the pad and the small gap i need to end the under tray from

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
another small update :)

so busy day today. got back from my little holiday retreat in Ingleton the other day and spent yesterday in a food coma...so today I cracked on...built up my pillar drill I got for christmas and bolted it to a temporary table

Its first job was to drill some holes (obviously) into a taillight/license plate bracket which I have done but forgot to picture.

I finished up my seat pad base and seat pad and glued the two together using spray adhesive. I also rivnutted my seat unit to bolt the seat pad onto it.

and for my final bit of news I bought the cbr a little treat today...

stunt cage! :rock: :rock: :rock:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts