Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of a front brake upgrade on my 83 Kawi 550. I purchased a set of rotors and calipers based on the rotor fitting on my front wheel. I ended up getting a set of the 03-04 r6 rotors and calipers. The calipers are the 4 piston 'blue dot' calipers used on a bunch of Yamahas.

What I'm running into is that the calipers as is will hit the spokes of the wheels. I'm not particularly attached to the calipers and frankly, the color doesnt quite fit with the rest of the bike. The only other rotor with an offset that will fit is an FJ1200 ABS rotor that is somewhat rare on the used market and prohibitively expensive on the new market

I was wondering if there were any similar calipers (for floating rotors at least) that are slimmer on the inboard side? I shall get a measurement of what the yamaha calipers are and how much room I have to go from a non-offset rotor to the spokes.

·
890 Posts
You probably won't find a 4 or 6 piston calliper that will clear your wheels spokes. You will more than likely have to use a 2 piston calliper that has both pistons on the outer side of the calliper (like an EX250 / 500). Although, they are only single disc.

I think the later CB Hondas had twin disc set-ups with the above style callipers too.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the calipers would need custom brackets anyway, so I'm not worried about spacing that out. I have caliper spacers designed, but I'd rather not have to make them, since keeping the locating features with using a spacer is either quite heavy, or somewhat intricate for being a spacer. I'd rather just find something that works. It looks like the extra space I need is 10-12mm, btw.

The reason I'm looking for different calipers is because I'm pretty sure that would be the cheapest route. While the spacers would be more or less free aside from my time, my time could be spent doing other things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts