Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Grateful Newb
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops:Unfortunately, the season is just about upon us, so I can't tear down this thing too much more. I will have to do the frame up thing through next winter. I am at a point where I need some ideas and fast. I have a glass tank shell to modify as well, so anything, no matter how extreme is an idea I can use. Thanks.:rock:

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,706 Posts
i would probably try to fill gap between tank and frame somehow
and fab a new subframe a few degres steeper

omg glass gills into tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Grateful Newb
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a one-ply glass shell of the tank to start fabbing on; it's the thing on the floor with the blue tape on it. I was looking at tossing the tank and airbox all together and faking it all. maybe port out the gaps with a couple of socked pods and glass in a digital guage set below the bars. I only have about 25 hours into this thing so far.

Gonna use hardware cloth to mold a metal mesh of the body pieces and then add the glass/plastic to it. Bondo is wonderful stuff. lol. Gills/plates was what I kind of had in mind.

·
104 Posts
what year is your zzr..i have a 1991 zx1100c that i am converting..i have put a 1995 zx9 subframe and tail on by making brackets that slip into the square tube frame...are you goin stubby?my bike is 3 posts behind.."can you photoshop this"dinozx1100...

·
Grateful Newb
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is an 02. I will probably go with a tiny bit of a tail. There is one I am kind of emulating on uniquecycleconcepts.com. Their bike is kind of the look I am going for, but not so tame. Next winter, I am going to do the frame off thing and maybe fab it up from scratch. We will see how my welding goes this time around. I have never welded aluminum, so it will be an adventure.

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,706 Posts
with aluminum its all in the heat and rod amount u use well tig anyway

get lots of scrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turn the welder to the point it barely wants to burn thru then down a few amps

and the puddles dont change like steel where the colors kina change
aluminum has like scales then shiny droplet looking thing like chrome bubble looking thing that's when u add rod and use rod closest to the thickness of metal u got

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,706 Posts
hopefully that would get u started

iam not a pro there a re more qualified people on here just what ive had experience with ( welding class 2nd year)

i think i was unclear on heat
i adjust it so that i am using about half pedal so that's where i adjust the amps for headroom is a good thing

i usually use ( it also depends on the machine how efficient i used one where 250 felt like 150 on the normal machine i use)

minimum 150-up for thicker than 1/8
125-150 for 1/8inch thick
60-80 for 1/16

depends on part size smaller part less amps because the part will soak up and draw heat away from the area welded
(bigger part =more heat tolerance)
also let parts cool between long runs
then end of 5-7 inch welds need a bit less pedal so let off slowly as advancing past maybe half way

GAS usually about 20psi mabye
12-15psi WITH a GAS Lenses

u need either pure green tungsten or Tri-mix thorated is for steel wont work
and ur tungsten should be slightly pointed with the end ground flat
generally u can also just use the brand new flat end of the rod also

aluminum jumps onto the tungsten like a magnet most of the time you can touch the part once or twice and the tungsten is like 2x the size u started wit lol u might have to grind alot

last thing befor u buy metal remember the good material works better steer clear of home depo
6061-t6 usually nice stuff
and last but not least THICKER IS EASIER TO WELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stronger too lol

anyway theres my tips u could prolly ask others as well as i dont remember exactly what filler i think 4043 was the pefered for general use tho

·
Grateful Newb
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! Thanks again! Actually, I was going to head down to the sheet metal peeps. I believe I get a discount for being part of IBEW. I can also buy from the two or three custom auto shops around my house, if I don't mind paying through the nose.

Why don't I just have them do it? Cuz that would be cheating! lol.

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,706 Posts
yea i don't mind cheating when i think the end result could kill if gone wrong but small brackets sub frames and shit arent nothing id trust most any of my welds
if i like em , if not take em off and re do) to hold my ass up and when in doubt overbuild unless u got the thing engineered for a specific weight strength

look on the miller website for more

oh also u want to start practicing by burning through some pieces of scrap so u see the clues
and also u want some slight discoloration yellow -golden brown behind weld and a slight bit of burn through to be sure ur penetration is correct
member slight yellow golden brown and slight burn through good
NOTHING ON BACK BADDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miller

1 - 11 of 11 Posts