Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they are off fugley (gsx1100) and need to be striped, cleaned, and put back together....ahem the right way. as it sits right now two of the butterflies wont even open when you push on the linkage. so as i have tried to rebuild the carb on this old bronco i once had and failed miserably, so bad in fact that ive never opened up another carb since, i figured why not try to keep the cash flow in the fam instead of taking it to one of these hack shops i got around me.
again im not looking for a freebie or a handout i just want someone i can trust to do the job right.

so if your interested or need more details about the carbs or whatever just shoot me a pm. they go to my email so i will respond quickly

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i guess i cant really fuckem up anymore..... or maby i can cause theyre not really fucked up but just need the proper adjustment made to them?:confused:

sure, go ahead and post it up. it should be an interesting read either way

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
How exactly are they messed up? Just for referance you could check a parts web site for a carb break down to make sure it's physically put together properly. Settings can be found with some digging. O if you have repair Manuel or can find one that would probably kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the biggest problem, i think is, when you push on the throttle cam the two center throttle plate open slightly but the two outside ones dont move at all. even when you try to move them with your fingers they are ridiculously hard to move. then one of the emulsifier tubes has popped out of one of the center carbs too.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I agree with Ultimate Fighter. Get stuck in, worst happens you fook em up then go an flea bay and probably find a better bank of carbs.

I've got two sets of them carbs on my bench atm. I'd say they are a nice set of carbs to learn on, but if your really not up for it I can take a look for you.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I've got a 18x11x6 ultra sonic cleaner on it's sometime next week. I've been tearing into carbs for 30 years....and always do it the hard way with carb cleaner and air pressure. Got tired of doing and still not looking new, and never know 100% for sure it was spotless inside.
I think Harbor freight has small ones...but doubt they work that great??? but using a sonic cleaner....you don't have to do anything but tear it apart, then put the spotless parts back together....doesn't hurt gaskets, threads, rubber, or anything else....

If mine works good on carbs....I might try more engine parts in it...???

Also...your carbs will definitely need to be synchronized if your plates are not all opening at the exact same time and amount....after they are back on your bike.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Here is the walk through I used. Pretty thorough. Couple of posts into it. Everything isn't exactly the same since it's a different carb bank but it worked for my first rebuild. I'd soak them in pine sol for a bit or over night if they are really gummed up.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159718

Good luck man.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Fred. I had problems with those butterflies working freely as well. Theyve done that to me twice now, but the last time I tore the carbs down and cleaned them they operated freely every time I checked them out. I had them sitting in a box in my room untouched for months now and they must have frozen back up. Sorry about that, it didnt even cross my mind when I handed them off to you.

Just so you know though, they were never put back together incorrectly. Ive torn them down several times as well as other BST's and I know for a fact theres nothing wrong about the way I put these back together. Im kinda surprised you would say that considering you mentioned in the same paragraph that you have very little experience with carbs at all, so what makes you think I put them together "the wrong way"?

I also told you if you had any questions or problems to just text or call me. I told you this outside my door just as you and your friend Chris were leaving my house, remember? Since Im the previous owner I dont see why you wouldnt just ask me first instead of insinuating to everyone here that I did a shit job and didnt tell you about it.

I spent a LOT of time on those carbs and it didnt make any sense to me why the slides seized up the way they did. I went so far as to sand them down to try and get a smoother action out of them.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
well the biggest problem, i think is, when you push on the throttle cam the two center throttle plate open slightly but the two outside ones dont move at all. even when you try to move them with your fingers they are ridiculously hard to move. then one of the emulsifier tubes has popped out of one of the center carbs too.

Looks very closely at the linkage. Theres a place between every one of them where they connect so the butterflies can open in synch with one another. There should be a retaining spring in between each one of them. that keeps the linkage tight so they can all open at the exact same amount at the exact same time. Are they all there? They fell out before and I had to scavenge for those springs on another set of carbs. They may have fallen out again at some point.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
If you need parts I have another bad set of 38mm mikunis that I was gonna send to JRod but He hasnt gotten back to me. He doesnt need the whole bank. If you want Ill mail you another slide and the springs or whatever else you need. Wasnt trying to dick you over duder.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im still debating whether or not im gonna dig into these myself. dr.j said he may be able to find me another bank for cheaper then a rebuild kit but i know hes busy as fuck right now between getting the new shop going and trying to get his track bike together... shit i think i even saw a thread where he mentioned he had exams coming up too! lol. like i said though, ive got a year before i can get my licence back anyways so this will be a slow build anyways, its just getting it running as soon as i can not only would allow me to start concentrating on the "looks" but also get my boss off my back about keeping it at the shop. (he still dosent know i have all those parts stuffed into the back corner of the shipping container we have out back either lol)

and dont be silly man. im completely satisfied with what i bought from you and you description of it in the for sale thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts