Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening ladies and gents,

I have finally got hold of my first project bike. It was abandoned for three years in our club garage and after a LOT of trying to get him to remove it he broke all contact and wouldn't reply. I have recently applied for the V5 (knowing the DVLA will contact him and hope to give him a final push to remove it) and to my surprise am now the "registered keeper". It's a grey area I know, but thought it was worth a go.

The bike is a 1992 ZZR600 (D I think). Alongside the new project I currently ride an 09' FZ1-N.

I don't know how any of you guys get sleep, there is so much to think about for the bike. Obviously I didn't have the keys so do I buy a new barrel or attempt this RFID bypass. It needs new front callipers' do I buy replacements or can upgraded parts come from newer bikes. The battery is dead, can I replace with a smaller different battery to save space. Do I have to weld the seat frame if I chop it down smaller. To many thoughts.

First jobs have been done today and the initial plan is to check it powers up, then do a full service before anything else.

Anyway, that's my life story to date lol, I look forward to hearing people's inputs and gaining some knowledge off of the veterans of the fighter world.

Attachments

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,512 Posts
I don't know how any of you guys get sleep

We don't. We sit around thinking about working on our bikes. At least I do.

Obviously I didn't have the keys so do I buy a new barrel or attempt this RFID bypass.

How about a toggle switch?

It needs new front callipers' do I buy replacements or can upgraded parts come from newer bikes.

Why does it need new calipers? Can they be cleaned or rebuilt?

The battery is dead, can I replace with a smaller different battery to save space.

Yes, there are some really small and light lithium ion batteries available. You could get a standard battery and probably won't have any issues going a little smaller.

Do I have to weld the seat frame if I chop it down smaller.

It needs to be sturdy, so if you hack off the back and there isn't a cross section left, then yes you need to weld something to support it.

I look forward to hearing people's inputs and gaining some knowledge off of the veterans of the fighter world.

They left years ago, just us numbnuts remain
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard!
A toggle switch is a possibility as it will be very very secure on a military camp with armed guards, in a building that you have to be on a list to sign the keys out, under 3 security cameras. And it will only be ridden for pleasure and I will be near it. That said a well placed hidden toggle switch is definitely a likely option if I can work out how I want to wire it.

The callipers were the last thing the guy touched before he disappeared, he started rebuilding them and left and now I have no idea were the bolts are and if I should just sack it off and get some fresh ones.

A smaller battery is a big must as I will be moving a lot of stuff forward and the battery is taking up a lot of space.

I will have to find a local welder

By your detailed response, I get the feeling your not ALL numbnuts lol.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,512 Posts
The calipers are a tough call. If you have all the seals and they are in good condition you should be able to buy some high grade bolts and be done with it. I don't have much experience with Kawi's buy my guess is the calipers probably swap with other models around that time frame.

User robsroadeater might be of some help here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The calipers are a tough call. If you have all the seals and they are in good condition you should be able to buy some high grade bolts and be done with it. I don't have much experience with Kawi's buy my guess is the calipers probably swap with other models around that time frame.

User robsroadeater might be of some help here.
I have 1 year of motorbike experience so I'm not sure either. Lol. This is why I snapped the chance to get my hands on a project bike to learn about these things. I will maybe get my friend I ride with to see what he reckons about the brakes. But I gotta make sure it actually runs first lol.

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
welcome in mate do ya have a bild thread going yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do have a build thread named "zzr 25er" as I got it for £25 lol. It's sparse and is more for me to track it's progress. But stuff will happen over time. It will be a slow build, but hopefully a good one.

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
i do have a build thread named "zzr 25er" as I got it for £25 lol. It's sparse and is more for me to track it's progress. But stuff will happen over time. It will be a slow build, but hopefully a good one.

Cheers I will go see.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts