Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Welcome to the beginning of my build. Bear with me as this build will probably take the better part of a year as i have no access to alot of specialty tools that i may need, so things will be outsourced as needed.

I started this build off with a bone stock 1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R. Originally i had no plans to do anything with this bike but tear it down, fix some things, give it a paint job and let him sell it.

But as i dug into this bike, i realized there was much more wrong with it than my buddy was willing to spend just to fix it so he could sell it, so he gave me the option of purchasing it from him for way less than what he paid for it. Keep in mind the bike still ran really strong, just had some serious electrical issues and some rough bodywork.

This is the only Picture i managed to take of it before i started takin it apart.

And this is what happens in an afternoon with some beer and wrenches.

You will notice in a couple pictures that i started to sand the frame. I was goin to attempt to polish it before i realized i wanted to make a fighter out of it. Got started on the polishing, figured it was too much damn work and sent everything away for some powdercoat.

Got the frame and factory swingarm back from the powder coaters.

Top Gun coatings in Calgary does some amazing work, and they even moly coated all my engine mount fittings and threads.

Im not sure if im diggin the look of the factory swingarm, so i think i am goin to graft the swingarm from an 07 R6 onto the frame as well as the subframe and tail section.

Ill be tearing the engine open sometime this week to have a peek inside, and my do some slight head work to it as well as some bigger carbs and a nice paintjob.

Stay tuned. I look forward to input form everyone and appreciate good criticism.

:shocker:

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
That powder coating looks sweet.

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill be using the tail from an 07 R6 as well. :D

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Looks good man, Top Gun is definitely great.

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will never belive what i found in the kitchen.

A perfectly good parts cleaner.

I guess the woman can go back to doin dishes the ol fashioned way. :p

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Anyone else confused as to why fatrat "f-u'd" richardcranium?

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i am not sure.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Ooo I don't know about the Dishwasher Idea. You will have oils and grease circulating around your normal dishes for ages

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ooo I don't know about the Dishwasher Idea. You will have oils and grease circulating around your normal dishes for ages
Hence why the wifey can go back to doing things the ol fashioned way. Its not a dishwasher anymore. its a parts washer.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Grease and oils good for ya! I do have to ask since your swapping tails, what ya planning on doing with the zx7R's undertail thats on there now. If your wanting to offload it pm me a price and we'll see what we can do. Im doing a budget 1997 ZX7R build, and a used undertail is just the thing im looking for! well I also need a rashed up clutch side panel to hack & glass into a belly pan.

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grease and oils good for ya! I do have to ask since your swapping tails, what ya planning on doing with the zx7R's undertail thats on there now. If your wanting to offload it pm me a price and we'll see what we can do. Im doing a budget 1997 ZX7R build, and a used undertail is just the thing im looking for! well I also need a rashed up clutch side panel to hack & glass into a belly pan.
Do you want just the undertail or the whole tail section? If you pay the shipping on things, its your for nothing man.

·
Canadian Fighter
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well ive got new plans for this bike now. Still goin to be a fighter of course.

Putting an 07 R1 Swingarm on it, but still sticking with the 07 R6 Tail section. Also once im ready, Flint is gonna make me some trips to accept the R1 forks as well.

Will post pics when im home from overseas.. Some more work will commence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts