Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Thunderace
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are not too many build threads about thunderace, so tought i could post something about my small project, done with student budget.

So the bike is yamaha yzf1000r thunderace -97. Bought it in last november and started to make some little changes.

Here is the picture when i first got it:

New topyoke, fatbar and some other stuff:

First plan was to put ass from cbr1000rr..

..but then i decided to just cut off the subframe and go with something different:

Seat is from derbi gpr 125cc:

Chopchop:

·
Thunderace
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then it was time for some new paint. I chose to go with SEM candy apple red and mercedes black (mixed with tiny gold flakes). Glad i have a friend who is quite good with the spray gun !

Also got the seat back from the upholsterer:

I think the result came up quite good.
So that’s all for now, i’m still waiting the subframe back from powder coating.
There’s more coming up later!

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Lahti as in last name or city?

;)

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Where's the subframe being coated, Pro Pinta?

·
Thunderace
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where's the subframe being coated, Pro Pinta?
Yep, it has been there for two weeks now.

although i would like to see a small piece of red behind the seat pad , minuscule tail piece , even a couple of inch
Well, we'll see about that later if there is tiny piece of red behind the seat pad.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Man that is a tight fit with the damper :D I trust you've checked U have full range of motion and that it can't bind onto the fairing stay at any position.

Might be a while with the subbie. Just been to the painter friday to pick up some stuff to transport, Mika only paints those frames rims etc on weekends or when it's quiet and he seemed to have quite a pile waiting by the door there.

Btw if you sometime need something soda- or glass bead blasted one of his painters has an own company that does that.

Loving the red!

·
Thunderace
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man that is a tight fit with the damper :D I trust you've checked U have full range of motion and that it can't bind onto the fairing stay at any position.

Might be a while with the subbie. Just been to the painter friday to pick up some stuff to transport, Mika only paints those frames rims etc on weekends or when it's quiet and he seemed to have quite a pile waiting by the door there.

Btw if you sometime need something soda- or glass bead blasted one of his painters has an own company that does that.

Loving the red!
Haha yes it is, but i assure you it'll work fine there ! or should i say "trust me, i'm an engineer" :D

Yea there were "few" pair of rims waiting for paint, so it can take a while.
I will keep that in mind. I may need some blasting with my car project..

·
Thunderace
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i finally got the frame back from coating, couldn't be more happy with the result:

Found a place for coolant expansion tank:

Then built up the rest of the bike:

I need to figure out something for the sides of subframe to cover up battery and such. Any ideas ?
And i'll change the fatbar for a black one, that red just doesn't work for me..

Although the bike is starting to look fine, finnish weather isn't so much..

·
Thunderace
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i finally got bike the in one piece and the weather gave me a chance to go for a test drive (it wasn't snowing).
Had about 100km test drive (before my fingers froze) and it seemed like everything work like it should.

Gas price was 1.574€ / litre, so it would be 6.36 US $ / gallon..

And here is couple photo of the lights:

Let's hope that the weather will get better soon..:winko:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Cool project! Looks a little odd to me with the forks/bars so high up and to the rear of the bar pockets on the fairing... any plans to alter the front end at all?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts