Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ScreameR
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have a gsx 1100 '82 that I am rebuilding into a streetfighter.
I took the motor out the frame, stripped everything else and started taking the motor apart.

I took off the cam cover, removed the cams, took the rockers out and then loosened the 12 main bolts and the one nut that holds the head to the block.

I have one small problem. I cannot take the head off. I have tried levering it loose, but there seems to be a bolt/nut that is holding it all still together. I have looked everywhere and cannot see anthing still bolted.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Im ganna add some pics to show where I am.
On the 005 image you can see the two washers that sit under the nuts at torque positions 1 and 3. When I try pry the head up that seems to be the area that is sitting tight, like there is still another nut/bolt that I cannot see.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thx guys

Attachments

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
use a bigger hammer? no i have no idea. but good luck

Reactions: Whiplash

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Check it again, once ur SURE all the bolts are out, clobber it with a big soft hammer, choose a hefty looking spot to whack it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
ScreameR
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
use a bigger hammer? no i have no idea. but good luck
Wakakaka, ROTFFLMAO.
The bigger the problem the bigger the hammer, right?

Yes, there was a small long bolt in the front of the motor, but its also gone now.\

I guess I will make use of the hammer approach.

Will let you know how far I get.

Thx guys
Will keep posting the progress here.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,020 Posts
Do you have a leak down tester? Hook it up and crank your air pressure to kill. Pressure from the inside like this should help spread it apart. When you WHACK it start by hitting straight down. It'll help shock the parts loose and is less risky if there a fastener left somewhere. Also, lighter fluid does a good job of dissolving old stubborn gaskets. You might get enough to seep in the help break down the bond. If not, it'll help to remove the old gasket without too much elbow grease.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
^^this sounds interesting, I'm gonna try that next time I pull one apart.....might want to stand clear of flying parts when ya whack it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
ScreameR
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And what do you know.

The bigger the problem the bigger the hammer.

So Im standing on the bench over the motor, getting braver by the swing till Im giving it the wolloping it deserves when suddenly it just parts.

I don't know if the problem had anything to do with the nuts or the gasket, but I'd already drained the sump so no serious leaks.

Now it's the valves to get sorted.

Thx for the advise guys.

Laters:fish4rep:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts