Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So did my f3 swap on my 91 cbr 600 and can't get her started. Really would like to get a ride in this weekend. Think there might be a short in the starter. All the normal lights come on when I turn the key to on. When I hit the start button. All the lights except the gauges go off and no noise from the starter. Anyone have any advice or know of any threads I can look up. Please and thank you!!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
im not super familiar with the f3 but does it have a neutral safety switch? clutch switch? side stand switch? tip over sensor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does I think it might be the nuetral switch because the nuetral light isn't coming on and just re did the starter one of the carbon feet had come out. So found the short. But now the starter isn't turning so something else is keeping it from getting power on the bike

·
Registered
740 Posts
All else good, you will still have spark even if the stator is unplugged, the battery supplies the power. That's true for some (much) older bikes where e-start was an option or manual start only engines. Not for yours. So you must still have some safety switch that is preventing it from running.

Depending on the combination of switches active (kill switch, sidestand, clutch, neutral), the ECU may disable the starter and/or spark. This varies by brand and bike. Typically it won't supply power to the start button if it's not supplying power to the coils, but a few bikes I've encountered would let you crank the engine w/o spark if the kill switch was off. I'm not sure if this is true for yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't even think about coils until reading that. Checked the coils and the primarys are at 3.2 ohms but not getting any readings for the secondaries at the 20k setting. Think my coils went out on me. Just not sure how they were working fine before my swap. Really hope swapping them will do the trick I don't think I can go another two weeks withou riding.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I highly doubt all your coils suddenly went bad for no reason when they worked fine before. In the swap some wiring got messed up and the ECU is disabling the ignition.

Does your bike have a tip-over sensor? If it's faulty or missing it can cause no-spark.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think it has a tip-over sensor. It is a 91 F2?? But someone else had mentioned the grounds too. Could it be the ground from the battery? Thats the only one that i can think that i messed with, When i was taking the bike apart. Is it supposed to mount below the starter to the crank case, or above, or does it even matter? Really getting Frustrating. I just Ride :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hopefully thats not the issue... pain in the ass. Not sure though because the engine was running before so timing should be good right? I'm not sure how long its been since the engine was ran last but pulled the plugs and have spark. Spark seems to be in sync with the cylinders by ear when i was testing spark off the boot? i Can smell the fuel in the exhaust pipe and it makes a putting noise like its trying to go.. just no boom yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts