Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

As I mentioned recently, I am building my first fighter from a 1985 gs700E. yesterday, my brother found the exact same bike for $350 and bought it so we can compete who can make the best fighter for the least money. Anyway, we can't seem to get his started. The guy he bought it off of said it sat for a year and a half. the push buttom start works, it just won't get it to run. I have never bought a bike that sat for a while, so we are kinda puzzled.
Do we just have to clean the carbs? I tried to spray the carbs to see if I could get it to run for a second or two, but even that didn't work. if the carbs are gummed up, shouldn't it at least start when fluid is sprayed into them???
Thanks for the help.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
if they are gummed than starter fluid doesn't always get her to fire up. check for spark when you turn her over, if there is spark then clean the carbs, thats my .02$. you can start by taking the screws of off thebottom of the bowls to see if any gas is going to the carbs, and use the search button. gsresources has a lot of info on thier websites, you may use them for some technicall info and come back to us for the fighter sh(t.

·
Registered
526 Posts
+1 on the carbs. My bike had a 2003 license plate on it when i bought it for a whole 82 bucks. The bike sat for about 3 and 1/2 years. The guy i got it from took it to the dealership and they told him it'd be 498 to fix the carbs(needles were bent,main valve was gone, floats were fucked up...i think he took them apart and tried to fix it himself.) So he came back and told me he didnt wanna pay to get it fixed and if i wanted it he'd call them and i could pay the 82 bucks to get it outta the dealership. I went on ebay and bought a perfectly good set of carbs so im pretty sure itll run fine now. It turned over with fucked up carbs and some starter fluid....so surely it'll start up with some good carbs....i think i got off subject somewhere....but my whole post was about carbs....but anyways...yea....i think its ur carbs.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I got it going today. I just took the carbs apart and cleaned them. Well, I took 3 out of 4 out and cleaned them. I need a snake screwdriver to get the last one. It starts with a little help (carb cleaner) but stayed running for 20+ minutes before I turned it off. It idles high, but that may be from that last carb. Thanks again guys. NOW, on to the fighter stuff!!!

:letsride: :rock: :rock: :rock:

·
Registered
526 Posts
jac1107 said:
Thanks for the help. I got it going today. I just took the carbs apart and cleaned them. Well, I took 3 out of 4 out and cleaned them. I need a snake screwdriver to get the last one. It starts with a little help (carb cleaner) but stayed running for 20+ minutes before I turned it off. It idles high, but that may be from that last carb. Thanks again guys. NOW, on to the fighter stuff!!!

:letsride: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Or it may idle high just because you have the idle set to high? There should be a knob u can turn under there somewhere to turn the idle up and down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts