Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this 96 bandit 600 last week and got a really good deal on it so I just couldn't pass it up.

It had an electrical issue which I couldn't source the problem so I borrowed my buddies harness and Cdi and now all of the electrical is working as it should.

My problem is that it will turn over and on occasion it will back fire but that's all that I get out of it. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I'm wanting to start a build on it but want to make sure that I get it running first.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
☢
5,596 Posts
check fuel air and spark
put new gas in, check fuel line blockages, carbs (are they clean?), check the petcock (try starting it on prime, it should flow freely on prime)
clean intact air filter, all the boots (airbox and intake) are tight (check for air leaks)
check the plugs condition and spark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I get home I'm gonna do the ole check plugs against the head and make sure I am getting spark, I haven't pulled the carbs and looked at them yet, I'm sure they need a good cleaning.

As for the petcock I'm having troubles there. The one that was on the bike had an internal leak. When I turn it to run it pours freely, I swapped it out with one I got from a buddy and it did the same thing so I ended up just ordering a new one of ebay

I don't have an air box on it at the moment ( I need to buy one). I figured I could at least get it to run badly without an air box?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
When I get home I'm gonna do the ole check plugs against the head and make sure I am getting spark, I haven't pulled the carbs and looked at them yet, I'm sure they need a good cleaning.

As for the petcock I'm having troubles there. The one that was on the bike had an internal leak. When I turn it to run it pours freely, I swapped it out with one I got from a buddy and it did the same thing so I ended up just ordering a new one of ebay

I don't have an air box on it at the moment ( I need to buy one). I figured I could at least get it to run badly without an air box?
possibly. The lack of air restriction on these carbs (because they are vacuum slides)with out an air box, makes them very finicky.

You may not be able to choke it very well without some type of air restriction. I typically take a (clean) metal ruler and hold it over the top half of the carb mouth.

Be sure that your floats are filling up by cracking the drain screws on the bottom of the carb bowls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts