Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw the line and see what bites

I am using a Hawk Gt (NT650) swinger that I modified to work with the 2002 VFR 800 rear wheel.

I am entertaining the idea of running a car rim on the back so I wanted to see if anyone else has done it (I am sure it has) and more important does anyone know the correct offset I should be looking for.

I wouldn't want to run anything more than a 200 size tire. And maybe.... up to 24" on the rim LOL.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Unless you have the swingarm offset in the frame or you cut and weld the swingarm you won't get more then a 180 in that arm and still be able to keep the wheel centered.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I know it's been done on vfr sssa but not sure about hawk

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Just wanted to throw the line and see what bites

I am using a Hawk Gt (NT650) swinger that I modified to work with the 2002 VFR 800 rear wheel.

I am entertaining the idea of running a car rim on the back so I wanted to see if anyone else has done it (I am sure it has) and more important does anyone know the correct offset I should be looking for.

I wouldn't want to run anything more than a 200 size tire. And maybe.... up to 24" on the rim LOL.
Assuming the rim is centered now...

1. Measure your current offset (Distance from back of rim to mounting face-Distance from front of rim to mounting face)/2. Offset is positive if the distance from the back of the rim to the face is larger.

2. Figure out which width you want to run with that 200 tire. Typical motorcycle rim for a 190 tire is 6". I wouldn't go over 7" if you can at all help it.

3. Take the difference in width and subtract half of that from the VFR rim offset to keep the wheel centered. You can stray up to 5mm away from the swingarm, but it's not ideal.

4. Hope to your chosen deity that the wheel/tire combination you just payed for doesn't hit your swingarm. It almost certainly will with anything larger than an 18" rim, and that's pushing it.

5. Adjust ride height in the rear to compensate for changed radius of the rear wheel/tire combo.

6. Profit.

·
160 Posts
I used a VFR SSSA on my Blade, i had a 200 section rear tyre on a car wheel, had to get a spacer made, i am rubbish at that sort of thing but luckily my engineer type person wasnt so he spun one up for me.

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a 190 Tire now and I put a 5mm spacer on. Personally I can't tell any difference with and without the spacer. I would stick to 17" rim and I guess 6.5" width would be good.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Let me see if I can find the email where cbrrr or whatever his forum name is sent me the pdf on how to put a car rim on a sssa

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
ASF. Car wheel conversion..pdf

Damn it I can't figure out how to copy it on this new stupid tablet let me get my phone out

Edit #2 PM me your email and I'll email you the pdf its being fucking stupid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts